PDA

View Full Version : League 2 by Easter

MillerforScotland
09-03-2014, 12:42 PM
After yesterdays capitulation, against another team in poor form, can we realistically expect the 5 wins we need to exceed the 51 point target Kavanagh set the team, to appear from the remaining 12 games?
Bearing in mind this is from a squad which is probably weaker now than in the pre Christmas period and also remembering the fact we have only managed 10 wins from 34 fixtures so far.
Personally,I feel, sadly this is the season when too many poor decisions at Boardroom level will finally catch up with us and we will end up with a points tally in the low to mid forties.
The remaining fixtures include Wed at Sheff Utd.and also Peterborough and Wolves away, so are we actually looking at targeting 5 wins from NINE games?

Piglet_Phoenix
09-03-2014, 01:33 PM
You never know about Wednesday, they'll be concentrating on their FA Cup semi-final - so we might have a chance.

Peterborough have also been hit and miss since Christmas and concede a lot of goals, so I wouldn't necessarily write that one off either.

And for the Wolves game - they'll be champions by then with precisely nothing to play for. So you never know there either.

However, our season won't be decided on the back of these three games.

We have a home game against Stevenage that looks winnable, also home games against Shrewsbury and Oldham that also look winnable. And we also have to go to Tranmere - which is a massive game for both clubs.

So it's really as simple as winning our home games and the rest will take care of itself.

Yesterday's result doesn't really tell us anything we don't already know. Our destiny is still in our own hands.

Wukkie
09-03-2014, 03:33 PM
I'm not sure about the squad being weaker pre-Christmas but one thing that hurts us is the goal difference that we accrued early on whilst getting thrashed every week.

How many times have we had to witness the opposition celebrate on the last day of the season, it will be the same again this season.

It's hard to pick up any sort of form when the side is constantly changed around from week to week plus it has plenty of inexperienced kids learning on the job.

pacirv
09-03-2014, 08:33 PM
It's looking very ominous now the writing is on the wall really can't see where we are going to be able to string enough results together to get the points we need to stay up.
We have thrown away far to many games we should have won through not scoring goals at ***** times in matches when on top.

MillerforScotland
09-03-2014, 09:14 PM
I would say we are definitely a weaker squad now than we were pre Christmas, when we had Ehmer, Amos and Lawrence.
If we don't get Pickford re signed this week we face the prospect of Fleming back in goals.
A truly dreadful thought for a game against a rejuvenated Sheff. Utd. :blue:

Wukkie
10-03-2014, 03:11 PM
When you put it like that then yes I would agree. I was thinking more earlier on before the likes of those arrived.

dcblue
10-03-2014, 04:29 PM
Saturday was awful. 1-0 up and two or three easy chances missed then get hit with a succour punch. If you look at the first of their goals it was purely abysmal defending a guy standing totally free in the penalty area we were totally exposed (for the nth time this season). The second was also a gift. Even then we could have still got at least a point from the game when we blazed over at least three other good chances... we were on top then lost the plot after which our midfield apart from Noble vanished... when you see the likes of Guy another Abbott wonder signing replacing Berrett you know the signs aren't good...

sandpit
10-03-2014, 07:17 PM
Pickford here for the rest of the campaign if that's any good.