PDA

View Full Version : Sunday Other Matches Thread

wolves71
09-03-2014, 01:31 PM
FA Cup quarter Final day, Sheffield United have just scored two goals in just under two minutes. Big ask now for Charlton.

MichiganWolf
09-03-2014, 01:50 PM
Sheffield United have won 9 in a row, 6 in the league. They've allowed only one goal in those 9 matches. Went from a relegation scrap to sitting comfortably midtable. Would be a tall task to make the playoffs now, but I'd imagine they'll feel alot better about next season than they did a few weeks ago.

wolves71
09-03-2014, 01:58 PM
Nigel Clough has slowly but surely got the Blades playing. I've seen them a few times over the past month or so. They try and play good football and will be a tough nut to crack when Wolves play them later in the month.

Hull v Sunderland next up on ITV1 here.

wolves71
09-03-2014, 02:39 PM
I'd love to know where they get some of these referee's from. Awards a penalty to Hull after Aluko went over easily. Ustari keeps Sunderland level after saving Aluko's poor penalty.

Woking88
09-03-2014, 02:57 PM
Nigel Clough has slowly but surely got the Blades playing. I've seen them a few times over the past month or so. They try and play good football and will be a tough nut to crack when Wolves play them later in the month.

Hull v Sunderland next up on ITV1 here.

Wolves, Brentford and Orient have all got to play at Sheffield United in the League before the season ends. (See fixtures in 'The Final Run-in' thread).

wolves71
09-03-2014, 03:01 PM
They could have a say in how the automatic places are settled. I wouldn't write them off making the play-offs. It just depends how much the semi-final in the cup distracts them. It should really inspire them.

wolves71
09-03-2014, 03:28 PM
Finally a goal, "pub player" Curtis Davies heads Hull in front.

wolves71
09-03-2014, 03:32 PM
2-0 now, Cattermole caught dwelling on the ball by Meyler, runs unchallenged and a long way back for Sunderland now.

wolves71
09-03-2014, 03:37 PM
3-0, Matty Fryatt gifted the goal from a poor back pass by Cattermole.

TundraWolf
09-03-2014, 03:45 PM
Sheffield United have won 9 in a row, 6 in the league. They've allowed only one goal in those 9 matches. Went from a relegation scrap to sitting comfortably midtable. Would be a tall task to make the playoffs now, but I'd imagine they'll feel alot better about next season than they did a few weeks ago.

Well spotted, Michigan, however with all their FA Cup fixtures of late they now have two more League One games to make up, win those, keep on punching, and they could put pressure on the 6th place club come May!

Woking88
09-03-2014, 04:17 PM

Well spotted, Michigan, however with all their FA Cup fixtures of late they now have two more League One games to make up, win those, keep on punching, and they could put pressure on the 6th place club come May![/quote]

With Preston and Rotherham in reasonable form, Peterborough must be their target. Eleven points behind with a game in hand is a tall order but they might just make the play-offs!

wolves71
09-03-2014, 04:38 PM
Jordi Gomez penalty puts Wigan 1-0 up at Man.City. Demichelis penalised for challenge on Fortune. 0-1 Wigan.

wolves71
09-03-2014, 04:45 PM
Sheffield United due to play their semi-final on 12th April. It all depends on what they see as a priority, the cup semi-final or league games. Wolves can only carry on and do their own thing and get on with games.

MichiganWolf
09-03-2014, 04:52 PM
Jordi Gomez penalty puts Wigan 1-0 up at Man.City. Demichelis penalised for challenge on Fortune. 0-1 Wigan.

Mind boggling that this guy continues to stay ahead of Lescott.

wolves71
09-03-2014, 04:58 PM

Mind boggling that this guy continues to stay ahead of Lescott.[/quote]

Demichelis, weak link if ever there was one. Pellegrini has even played him in midfield.

WOODLANDSWOLF
09-03-2014, 05:00 PM

Interesting first half, should be a cracker of a second. I wonder if Nasri will come out for the second half, not only did he not play well in the first but he looks like he is about to loose the plot and get a red card.

MichiganWolf
09-03-2014, 05:04 PM
Sheffield United due to play their semi-final on 12th April. It all depends on what they see as a priority, the cup semi-final or league games. Wolves can only carry on and do their own thing and get on with games.

Alot of matches b/w now and then. Personally, I think they should go for it regardless of their position in the league. You only get so many good chances at an FA Cup Final if you are not one of the giant clubs.

But lots can happen. If the Blades continue to win, they'll be in the thick of a playoff race and they'll have a decision to make. But their form may slow down with some tough fixtures in March and if they're sitting comfortably midtable, they'll definitely put their best foot forward against Hull.

wolves71
09-03-2014, 05:10 PM

Interesting first half, should be a cracker of a second. I wonder if Nasri will come out for the second half, not only did he not play well in the first but he looks like he is about to loose the plot and get a red card.[/quote]

Wigan have rattled a few of the City players, Nasri as you say wound up, so was Toure. There's quite a bit of needle going on that's for sure.

wolves71
09-03-2014, 05:14 PM
2-0 Wigan, Perch wanted to get on the cross more, poor defending from Clichy.

TundraWolf
09-03-2014, 05:25 PM
IMHO, ManC moving on are the only barrier to Arsenal waltzing to the FA Cup. I doubt Wigan, Hull, or Sheffield Utd can offer any real resistance to the Gunners.

Latest word is that Sheffield Utd are to face Hull and Arsenal are to face ManC or Wigan in the semi-finals..

MichiganWolf
09-03-2014, 05:27 PM
Uwe Rosler looks like the real deal to me. Had Brentford w/in a couple minutes of automatic promotion last year, left them stable when he took the Wigan job. God knows why Wigan hired Coyle to follow Martinez, but he gutted their squad (or maybe Martinez did by raiding it) and there was alot of turnover. But Coyle is overrated as a manager and I am very glad we did not end up with them. He got canned and left them in 14th place, looking directionless. Enter Rosler and he's got them in playoff position and barring a collapse today, back in the FA Cup semis. He's 13-4-4 with them in all competitions.

MichiganWolf
09-03-2014, 05:31 PM
IMHO, ManC moving on are the only barrier to Arsenal waltzing to the FA Cup. I doubt Wigan, Hull, or Sheffield Utd can offer any real resistance to the Gunners.

If Man City lose, no excuses for Wenger and Arsenal not getting a trophy this year. The Prem race is slipping away from them, so unless they win the FA Cup, the Gunners have got to be disappointed with this season considering how wide open the league was and where they were sitting for most of the year.

wolves71
09-03-2014, 05:32 PM
Dzeko with Man.City best chance so far, header comes back off the post and away. I think if they do get one Wigan will collapse.

wolves71
09-03-2014, 05:36 PM
Here's the first goal back for Man.City and Nasri, first time effort from just outside the Wigan area.

wolves71
09-03-2014, 05:48 PM
Great defending there from Emerson Boyce, somehow got the ball away as it looked like Dzeko was going to equalise.

wolves71
09-03-2014, 06:03 PM
Fair play to Wigan, deserved it if you ask me, not just the two goals, defended well when it matters, especially Emerson Boyce. wigan could also have scored at least one more, but Fortune failed to play in McLean. Best cup game that i've seen today.

Woking88
09-03-2014, 06:04 PM
That's it then - final score 2-1 to Wigan! :D

WOODLANDSWOLF
09-03-2014, 08:09 PM
Fair play to Wigan, deserved it if you ask me, not just the two goals, defended well when it matters, especially Emerson Boyce. wigan could also have scored at least one more, but Fortune failed to play in McLean. Best cup game that i've seen today.

Totally agree, in fact it was the best cup game I have watched in a long while. Wigan are just the type of team to worry Wengers W ankers as well. Should be interesting.

abbobrom
10-03-2014, 09:29 AM
I have been at Sheffield all weekend at the Indoor Athletics but managed to keep up with the scores on my lap top.

Another good win for Wolves and keep winning is all we can do and not worry about the other teams.

I heard while at Sheffield that the train from London with the Charleton supporters on was not due to arrive till seven minutes past twelve. Good planning by someone the game started at twelve!!!

The Wigan result confirms one of the reasons why I stopped having bets on cup matches. City were six to one one, to people who do not understand betting you would have had to put A?6,000 on to win A?1,000. I wonder how many of the big gamblers did their brains with that one?

The only certainty in life is death, the trouble is if you had a punt on it, who would pick up the winnings?