PDA

View Full Version : When Wolves visit ...

PAULCAFC
10-03-2014, 06:15 PM
Will it be safer and more financially viable to let them have the big stand? noticed they had what looked like half the ground or more at Walsall on Sat, 10.000 there, don`t know what the club`s plans are but the allocation they will have is nowhere near enough, any further comments?

AlexonTour
10-03-2014, 06:26 PM
Whilst it might make financial sense I personal would oppose it. The reason being it will be a hard enough game anyway without us turning it in to a home game for them.

I don't like how we give big clubs two sides of the ground but I understand financially it has to be done.

AlexLeicester
10-03-2014, 06:54 PM
I have never and will never give up my seat for an opposition supporter.
Money is not the reason why I support the Alex: money is not the only reason we are a football club.
We survived all those seasons in the Championship, then our ignominious fall down to the basement, without giving up our seats. Why start now for one measly game. No.

Alexmaverick
10-03-2014, 07:06 PM
:/ What a strange and absurd post!
Incase you've forgotten we spent no less han eight seasons in the "old second division" not too long ago,regularly playing host to some of the biggest clubs in the land and never once felt the need to hand over the main stand to them.Why should the visit of Wolves be any different? We've played them several times before and our regular arrangements have coped.
It's a strange notion and wrong on many levels,ffs.

Incidentally Wolves allocation at Walsall was 3,400ish-one end plus part of one side.Not half the ground.

TwiceInABlueMoon
10-03-2014, 10:38 PM
NO... end of.

What a baffling post. We're fighting for our lives at the bottom; 'lets just give away our home advantage so that we can get a few extra quid in the coffers'?!

It's not like we haven't made big money of any transfers recently, is it? :?

somersetcrewe
11-03-2014, 07:47 AM
I don't know what Paul's on at the minute. Clearly not thinking straight, and seemingly having already given up on our cause judging by recent posts!
Take a break my old son! ;D

PAULCAFC
11-03-2014, 04:58 PM
I need a break!!! anyhow there will be loads of Wolves fans sitting in the big stand, guaranteed!

alexmick
11-03-2014, 05:29 PM
Ridiculous idea. No way would I wish to give up a seat I reserved, when spending all of that money on the season ticket I purchased last May. This is our home end and that is the way it should stay.

crewedaft
11-03-2014, 05:55 PM
Paul's idea is impractical, but it does highlight a problem with our lop-sided ground when the home stand will be half full and the away club could bring twice their allocation. It is Crewe that are losing out financially.

Alexmaverick
11-03-2014, 07:12 PM
There won't be as many as you seem to expect.They'd need a customer number,don't forget-not like they can just turn up on the day.

Alexmaverick
11-03-2014, 07:28 PM
Paul's idea is impractical, but it does highlight a problem with our lop-sided ground when the home stand will be half full and the away club could bring twice their allocation. It is Crewe that are losing out financially.
The ideal solution for me would be to permanently move the away section to the Railway end of the main stand,allowing up to around 3,000 of the stands capacity to the enemy.Obviously the concourse would have to be partitioned off,etc but it's not an insurmountable problem and Crewe fans would get the Pop side back so all round it's a win win scenario.

ALEXKNOWALL
11-03-2014, 08:49 PM
Oddly the Alex have given over much of the ground to visitors before. In the late 70s or early 80s Sheff Utd were the Div 4 visitors given all of the (then) Railway end and Pop sides to stand in with home fans crammed into the GRE. Gate of 6,000+ I seem to remember at a time when the norm was 2,000. Sheff Utd won in front of a huge away following and the Alex banked some cash. I boycotted the game - it was a bad idea then and still is - 2,300 visitors is enough for me although the meagre numbers in the GRE these days might suggest we look at those seats for visitors??

PAULCAFC
11-03-2014, 08:57 PM
Remember it well, I was selling programmes in the ground too, good atmosphere for the time!

Alexmaverick
11-03-2014, 09:43 PM
Oddly the Alex have given over much of the ground to visitors before. In the late 70s or early 80s Sheff Utd were the Div 4 visitors given all of the (then) Railway end and Pop sides to stand in with home fans crammed into the GRE. Gate of 6,000+ I seem to remember at a time when the norm was 2,000. Sheff Utd won in front of a huge away following and the Alex banked some cash. I boycotted the game - it was a bad idea then and still is - 2,300 visitors is enough for me although the meagre numbers in the GRE these days might suggest we look at those seats for visitors??
The Alex were a different club in those days and were struggling along at the foot of div 4 on gates of 1,400 and "all-ticket" games were much rarer in those times so the huge Blunts following was no doubt very welcome at the 17,000 capacity GR,from a financial perspective,as the Yorkshire outfit closed in on promotion back in March/April (ish) '82.
The gate of 6,71

bonehead
12-03-2014, 10:58 AM
would prefer it if we had the pop side back full time - split the big stand so its 2000 away fans railway end side - and use rest of stand for people who like the view dont want to sing

at same time build sky lights in roof and some exec boxes