PDA

View Full Version : o/t Electric typewriter with memory for addresses...

deepfathom
11-03-2014, 03:43 PM
Once a month I need to use a typewriter to types and addresses on NCR forms. My present typewriter, which is getting on for 25 years old has had it! I can't buy a reasonably priced new typewriter anywhere.

Has anyone got a working electric typewriter with memory that is taking up space that I could buy?

Thank in weary anticipation...

Nevermore666
11-03-2014, 04:11 PM
Have you heard of a PC?

homesick_cumbrian
11-03-2014, 08:12 PM
typing envelopes. Reminds me of my first job. Happy days, well boring days actually :D

Sorry cant help :blue:

griff
11-03-2014, 09:56 PM
deepfathom - not sure why you would choose to do that. If it's your own choice, there's surely better and cheaper ways of achieving what you want. If it's for someone else (work, school, charity?) then you really need to tell them to get up to date. NCR is 80s/90s stuff. Still available, but better ways of doing things.

deepfathom
11-03-2014, 10:08 PM
Griff... What alternatives?

I've thought of different ways of doing the same thing but they are all more time consuming.

I need copies of customers signatures. NCR is easier than getting them to sign twice.

Any suggestions welcome...

orfc
12-03-2014, 09:35 AM
Ok, cos you use copy forms you need physical pressure to push any marks through to the next ply of the sheet. A dot matrix printer could do that (but they're about AŁ200)

An alternative is to get a label printer and stick the labels on twice on each form... which must be quicker than fiddling about lining up each form in a typewriter

deepfathom
12-03-2014, 11:41 AM
Yes, I can remember getting good dot matrix printers for AŁ99 years ago, I hardly paid that for my last colour laser! The cheapest one I can see now is about AŁ200, like you say, similar for a new typewriter.

I might have to resort to just printing labels, you're right about putting the paper in and out of the typewriter. I've tried putting on labels before, but it's a bit of a faff too, and sometimes the two sheets separate when you turn the top one over...

I guess there's no-one with a typewriter with a memory... ...working!

griff
12-03-2014, 02:19 PM
deepfathom, calm down, there was no mention of having to collect signatures in your first post. I do a lot of work as a document agent and we're collecting signatures all the time so I know the importance of getting originals. But what's the problem with getting them to sign twice? I've yet to meet anyone who objects and you can simply print out two copies using your laser and Bob's your Dad's brother. Or put it all on a tablet process and get them to sign on that. A lot of solicitors and Government Departments are accepting electronic signatures now. If it's speed you're after, how can it get any quicker?