PDA

View Full Version : Official Stoke v West Ham Thread

OZHAMMER
12-03-2014, 02:18 AM
one for the purists!

away to stoke this weekend, after a decent rest following our loss to the toffees. we should be fully fit, and champing at the bit to tear them a new one.

a win here will see us on 34 points, and safety tantalisingly close.

head to head:

stoke: 21
draw: 10
west ham: 20

betting (centrebet):

stoke: $2.15
draw: $3.20
west ham: $3.50

probable line-up:

adrian
demel tomkins collins mccartney
downing noble taylor jarvis
nolan
carroll

funnily enough, our january signings aren't getting a great deal of game time, including armero who is yet to take the field. i'd like to see more of the italians, and still hold hope that armero or vaz te can oust jarvis for the left flank role.

i'm playing with fire here, but i am predicting a 3-1 win to the mighty irons :D

dagenhamJohn
12-03-2014, 05:03 PM
think Adam and Waters are suspended for this 1,

a draw would be acceptable imo.

sir terence brown
12-03-2014, 06:09 PM
Is this a sunday sky match?

mikeveep
12-03-2014, 07:12 PM
Thanks,Oz.

Odds of 5/2 to win is tremendous value..I would have guessed at 7/4.

Only conceded one goal in last three away games against better opposition.and with our best eleven starting.

Banker !

Adam,Waters and Huth out.

BlackDiamond
12-03-2014, 07:17 PM
The Sky Sunday match ? :D

Sorry old bean, Sat 15th 15:00

...Sky Super Sunday is

Man U v Liverpool 13:30
Arsen v Tottenham 16:00

hammerwell06
12-03-2014, 10:22 PM
The Sky Sunday match ? :D

Sorry old bean, Sat 15th 15:00

...Sky Super Sunday is

Man U v Liverpool 13:30
Arsen v Tottenham 16:00

That's probably what he ment , 'His teams games is on sunday against the @rse' .

Don't forget " He knows more about the Hammers than anyone on here". ;D

bonzosbest74
12-03-2014, 10:33 PM
I'll go for a 1-1 draw as Hughes seems to have them playing well.

Warwick4370
14-03-2014, 09:05 AM
Based on the optimism of the betting odds at 7/2 and our away record of only one goal conceded in four, I've put $5 on us to win! I'm nervous already :s

rednekst
14-03-2014, 10:37 AM
Waters is the one who nearly always seems to score against us so great he's not playing.

Adams and Huth out as well even better.

A sneaky 1-0 to the boys in C & B.

dagenhamJohn
14-03-2014, 05:25 PM
Waters is the one who nearly always seems to score against us so great he's not playing.

A sneaky 1-0 to the boys in C & B.that'd be so sneaky you'd have had to attend the dodgy university for sneakyness and pass out with a bachelor of arts degree in being a sneak! XD

BlackDiamond
14-03-2014, 06:44 PM
Manager of the month (Feb); will have a cunning plan. West Ham United away win

Hammerman69
14-03-2014, 07:02 PM
I will be there and the plan will be so cunning you could put a tail on it and call it a fox

GARNETT
15-03-2014, 08:05 AM
Morning John, only one logged in ;D

I think Sam can smell blood here, with them below par player wise and Sam making them train all week he is going all out for 3 points and I can see us getting them.

Down side is it`s back to the Young Prince to watch the game :blue: don't know anyone else showing it.

rednekst
15-03-2014, 09:28 AM

A sneaky 1-0 to the boys in C & B.that'd be so sneaky you'd have had to attend the dodgy university for sneakyness and pass out with a bachelor of arts degree in being a sneak! XD[/quote]

XD XD XD A 'Masters' at least DJ. XD XD XD

rednekst
15-03-2014, 10:33 AM
Just a thought...

As it's the 15th..."Beware the Ides of March". :blue:

BlackDiamond
15-03-2014, 12:38 PM
Just a thought...

As it's the 15th..."Beware the Ides of March". :blue:

Good film by way...watched it on megashare last weds...however site now blocked by "believe in better"...

dagenhamJohn
15-03-2014, 02:04 PM
team is..

Adrian, Reid, McCartney, Nolan, Tomkins, Carroll, Noble, Demel, Diame, Downing, Nocerino

Subs Jarvis, Armero, Taylor, Collins, Jaaskelainen, C.Cole, J.Cole

bazwillrun
15-03-2014, 03:05 PM
0 - 1
AC from a noble free kick !!!!!

castiron
15-03-2014, 04:27 PM
2-1 down no plan b :blue:

castiron
15-03-2014, 04:29 PM
How can that c unt not see that >:(

BillyDWhizz
15-03-2014, 04:33 PM
Back to type for us, once again no flair or imagination. I was worried about this game all week. Here we go again, consecutive defeats. We are really still in the s.hit. Man U, Liverpool, Lea.rse, Spuds, Man city..We aint going to get anything from those games and Hull and Palace aren't going to just roll over.

mrbubbles
15-03-2014, 04:33 PM
and teams picking points up around us ffs

FLAIRON
15-03-2014, 04:34 PM
Now that was a soft goal. Does the curse of the manager of the month award strike again!?!

And how did they miss the handball for the 1st penalty appeal?

BillyDWhizz
15-03-2014, 04:37 PM
Aww Just F.uck off Allardyce. One month does not a season make and you have been s.hit for the rest of em.

castiron
15-03-2014, 04:38 PM
F ucking Stoke :blue:

BillyDWhizz
15-03-2014, 04:44 PM
When teams like Stoke are taking 6 points from us, then surely something is wrong? What will be BFS excuse be today then considering he had pretty much a full strength team to pick from. I think Hull are going to beat us at home and I dread to think what Man ure are going to do to us the game before. :blue:

mrbubbles
we are back in it lads my teeth just keep fecking grinding

dagenhamJohn
we were indeed unfortunate today.

castiron
15-03-2014, 04:45 PM
Why oh why did he change a winning team :?

castiron
15-03-2014, 04:49 PM
Bad bad day from all angles. F ucking mare.

JimmyV66
15-03-2014, 04:55 PM
we were indeed unfortunate today.

No we was not DJ. We were outplayed once again by a team who play good football. Stoke deserved thier win and was unlucky not to have scored quite a few more.

All we had from the first minute was long ball after long ball.

As the guy on BBC just rightly said, "stoke could have won by 6 or 7"

What disgusted me the most was at 3-1 down Allardyce took of Carroll and decided to protect the goal differance. Just another reason why he should be outed next season.

After todays results we are now right back in it thanks to negative tactics. Stoke was missing thier three best players and then had another taking of through injury early on. Yet they still beat us with ease.

JimmyV66
15-03-2014, 04:56 PM
Never thought i would be jealous of the way Stoke City play. But i am.

Thanks Sam. :blue:

dagenhamJohn
15-03-2014, 05:00 PM
perhaps, but if the handball and the offside had been given we wouldn't be having this discussion.

JimmyV66
15-03-2014, 05:03 PM
perhaps, but if the handball and the offside had been given we wouldn't be having this discussion.

Does not matter. Stoke were missing 4 key players. We had a two week break, we took the lead.

We created very little and they created loads. They took chances we took only 1.

We looked to lump it up to Carroll/Cole throughout the whole game. They chose to play a passing and creative game and rightly thrashed us.

Well played Stoke. Shame on Allardyce.

dagenhamJohn
15-03-2014, 05:07 PM

Does not matter. Stoke were missing 4 key players. We had a two week break, we took the lead.

We created very little and they created loads. They took chances we took only 1.

We looked to lump it up to Carroll/Cole throughout the whole game. They chose to play a passing and creative game and rightly thrashed us.

Well played Stoke. Shame on Allardyce.[/quote]imo Jimmeister,
the reason we lost is we played Reid and Noshmeister.
should have been Collins and Taylor...

JimmyV66
15-03-2014, 05:10 PM
Nocharino is 100 times the player Taylor is and was our best passer today. Him and Noble were the only ones who at least tried to pass on the ground.

Collins had a knock.

We lost today because of style of play and negative tactics.

Thank god Stoke did have half thier team out of god only knows what the score would have been.

Dailly___7
15-03-2014, 05:10 PM
Two crap teams playing sh1t football. Thought it was an even game. Draw would have been a fairer result. They certainly didn't deserve to win by 2 clear goals.

We definitely should have had a penalty at 2-1, but never really looked like coming back, as usual.

Adrian had a 'mare, I'm afraid. At fault for all three goals. Reid looked weak for their second goal. Not sure why Ginge was dropped.

We are still well in the sh1t, despite what they keep saying on the telly. 5 of our last 9 games are against teams in the top 7. We'll probably need 3 more wins or a couple of wins and a couple of draws.

Arsenal and Man City away are virtually write offs. Just try to avoid heavy defeats there. Man Utd, Liverpool and even the Spuds will all be hard home games. We'd do well to take 3 or 4 points from those 5 games.

So that leaves Sunderland and West Brom away and Hull and Palace at home. You'd think we'll need at least 2 wins from that and maybe get another point.

Even when we were on our great

JimmyV66
15-03-2014, 05:16 PM
Sorry Dailly but no way can you claim that Stoke played crap football. They were a joy to watch at times. Creative, good passing and looked like creating or scoring every time they got forward.

Even tried playing it out from the back rather than hoofing it forward and did a decent job aswell.

jon15u
15-03-2014, 05:31 PM
Well nothing surprising about todays outcome apart from the team change, and to be honest that from Froggy isnt really a surprise either.

bet he was looking ahead and thinking he could cope in this game. WRONG.!! I think me bums gonna be squeeking till the last game, at least its better than being totally bored, cause this season hasnt had much else to make you realise you are alive.

dagenhamJohn
15-03-2014, 05:35 PM
[quote="Dailly___7"]Two crap teams playing sh1t football. Thought it was an even game. Draw would have been a fairer result. They certainly didn't deserve to win by 2 clear goals.

We definitely should have had a penalty at 2-1, but never really looked like coming back, as usual.

Adrian had a 'mare, I'm afraid. At fault for all three goals. Reid looked weak for their second goal. Not sure why Ginge was dropped.

We are still well in the sh1t, despite what they keep saying on the telly. 5 of our last 9 games are against teams in the top 7. We'll probably need 3 more wins or a couple of wins and a couple of draws.

Arsenal and Man City away are virtually write offs. Just try to avoid heavy defeats there. Man Utd, Liverpool and even the Spuds will all be hard home games. We'd do well to take 3 or 4 points from those 5 games.

So that leaves Sunderland and West Brom away and Hull and Palace at home. You'd think we'll need at least 2 wins from that and maybe get

castiron
15-03-2014, 05:37 PM
[quote="Dailly___7"]Two crap teams playing sh1t football. Thought it was an even game. Draw would have been a fairer result. They certainly didn't deserve to win by 2 clear goals.

So that leaves Sunderland and West Brom away and Hull and Palace at home. You'd think we'll need at least 2 wins from that and maybe get

JimmyV66
15-03-2014, 05:42 PM
Castiron i will always prefer teams who try and play a passing game and a creative game. Will always prefer teams who are postive and dont sit back time after time.

Stoke today were just that imo. Good football, looked to create and always looked to score goals.

Whereas with us all we did was hoof it long the whole game.

As for taking of a striker at 3-1 down with 10+ minutes left and conceding the game is unforgivable.

PS Stoke at home this season tried to take the game to Man Utd, Chelsea and Arsenal. They won all three games.

castiron
15-03-2014, 05:49 PM
Sam f ucked up with the selection. Diame is never a winger. Reid not match fit. They would not have scored three goals with Ginge on the pitch.

palerider
15-03-2014, 05:56 PM
Not having seen the game I can't comment on individual performances but I can see on the BBC site that we had 45% possession. That's about 15% more than we usually have, but only 2 shots on target. And as much as I loathe the Allardyce style it would be wrong to criticise too angrily after February.

But we have lost the last two. The next game is United, looking to aim for the top four. Lose and it puts huge pressure on the Hull game.

But we continue to set up not to concede. If a keeper f#cks up as it appears Adrian did today, as Jussi did at Norwich there is no plan B. And under Allardyce it will remain the same.

I personally think we only need 5 more points but we have a tough run-in and predictions from certain camps that we'd get 44 points are pie in the sky.

The sooner we get those points the better as the thought of going to the Etihad last game needing a result doesn't bear thinking about.

jon15u
15-03-2014, 05:58 PM
Oh well, at least i can take it out on others in my game tomorrow, The balls froggies head.

Why cant we lose with style, like the old days, has the 19th century man lost nerve and is too scared too gamble on playing football?! Hoof ball dont always keep the ball up their end,

If Mr percentage man knew his biss hed know out of 39 games at their ground stoke have won 21 of them. so why change a team that worked.

JimmyV66
15-03-2014, 06:00 PM
Sam f ucked up with the selection. Diame is never a winger. Reid not match fit. They would not have scored three goals with Ginge on the pitch.

Collins picked up a calf strain and was not fully fit.

Agree that Diame is not a winger.

Soon as we went 2-1 down he needed to go 2 up front and go for it. But as always his subs made little sense.

dagenhamJohn
15-03-2014, 06:00 PM
Not having seen the game I can't comment on individual performances but I can see on the BBC site that we had 45% possession. That's about 15% more than we usually have, but only 2 shots on target. And as much as I loathe the Allardyce style it would be wrong to criticise too angrily after February.

But we have lost the last two. The next game is United, looking to aim for the top four. Lose and it puts huge pressure on the Hull game.

But we continue to set up not to concede. If a keeper f#cks up as it appears Adrian did today, as Jussi did at Norwich there is no plan B. And under Allardyce it will remain the same.

I personally think we only need 5 more points but we have a tough run-in and predictions from certain camps that we'd get 44 points are pie in the sky.

The sooner we get those points the better as the thought of going to the Etihad last game needing a result doesn't bear thinking about.about right imo!

Dailly___7
15-03-2014, 06:19 PM
Jimmy

You must have been watching a different game to me if you thought Stoke were a "joy to watch". I've never heard anybody say that about Stoke! I'd get more joy watching paint dry. I didn't think they were as bad as they used to be under Pulis, but they still easily play the worst football of anyone we've played all season. If Stoke were playing in my back garden, I'd draw the curtains. Saying that, I'd probably do the same if West Ham were playing if I wasn't a supporter.

I saw two teams playing exactly the same way. Long ball up to the big centre forward all game. Playing for second balls. At one point, our goalkeeper hit a free kick straight into the arms of theirs and he in turn kicked it straight back!

Granted, Stoke did start to pass it a bit towards the end when they had the game won and were just trying to see out time. Perhaps that clouded your judgement a little.

By the way, the disallowed goal. Everyone I was watching it with was p1ssed off and felt we were cheated b

palerider
15-03-2014, 06:24 PM
[quote="dagenhamJohn"]Not having seen the game I can't comment on individual performances but I can see on the BBC site that we had 45% possession. That's about 15% more than we usually have, but only 2 shots on target. And as much as I loathe the Allardyce style it would be wrong to criticise too angrily after February.

The sooner we get those points the better as the thought of going to the Etihad last game needing a result doesn't bear thin

JimmyV66
15-03-2014, 06:29 PM
Stoke and Mark Hughes have been getting plenty of plaudits from fans and experts this season for thier passing and creative game. Mainly at home.

Away they have tried to play a more mixed game but the results have been awful. Just 1 win all season. Away to us.

People who have not really seen much of Stoke this season are still asuming they play the Pullis game.

Anyway mate fck what other teams do i just know i hate watching us under Negative Sam. To think there is going to be at least 2 more seasons with him does my head in.

Forget for now how i feel about the Olympic Stadium i do know that once we move there a better manager with a better style will be needed if they want to put bums on seats.

Today was a huge huge game. Stoke had 3 keys players missing and then lost another early on. We took an early lead then started to drop back and were soundly beaten.

Could have been all but safe had we been more positive.

Again a poor plan A and then no other plan at all.

bonzosbest74
15-03-2014, 06:33 PM
The run that began at Chelsea was very welcome. But anyone who thought we were anything other than fortunate in three of them I think wears claret and blue specs a bit too much. Everton wasn't a surprise but Cardiff, who are awful, had a go at them today and were unlucky to lose. Today though was a bad result whichever way you dress it up.

Exactly.

Pretty much what I logged on to say.

jon15u
15-03-2014, 06:33 PM
[quote="Dailly___7"]Jimmy

You must have been watching a different game to me if you thought Stoke were a "joy to watch". I've never heard anybody say that about Stoke! I'd get more joy watching paint dry. I didn't think they were as bad as they used to be under Pulis, but they still easily play the worst football of anyone we've played all season. If Stoke were playing in my back garden, I'd draw the curtains. Saying that, I'd probably do the same if West Ham were playing if I wasn't a supporter.

I saw two teams playing exactly the same way. Long ball up to the big centre forward all game. Playing for second balls. At one point, our goalkeeper hit a free kick straight into the arms of theirs and he in turn kicked it straight back!

Granted, Stoke did start to pass it a bit towards the end when they had the game won and were just trying to see out time. Perhaps that clouded your judgement a little.

By the way, the disallowed goal. Everyone I was watching i

palerider
15-03-2014, 06:40 PM
[quote="jon15u"]Jimmy

By the way, th

JimmyV66
15-03-2014, 06:45 PM
"Either way you can bet a pound to a piece of sh1t it will be why we lost according to Allardyce, it won't be his selections or his tactics."

We have won 8 prem games this season. Everyone of them has been down to Sam Allardyce.

We have lost 14 prem games this season.Everyone of them has been down to the players and refs.

We that seems the case if you listen or read all Sam's post match interviews.

dagenhamJohn
15-03-2014, 06:58 PM
makes no difference, we lost simple as!
after the game is before the game :)

next please :D

Dailly___7
16-03-2014, 12:19 AM
[quote="jon15u"]Jimmy

By the way, th

Dailly___7
16-03-2014, 12:20 AM
The run that began at Chelsea was very welcome. But anyone who thought we were anything other than fortunate in three of them I think wears claret and blue specs a bit too much. Everton wasn't a surprise but Cardiff, who are awful, had a go at them today and were unlucky to lose. Today though was a bad result whichever way you dress it up.

Exactly.

Pretty much what I logged on to say.[/quote]

When we win, we're lucky. When we lose, we're sh1t XD XD

SepticHammer
17-03-2014, 04:01 PM
Nolan was onside - compare that decision to Saurez' goal, Nolan was more onside!

While you're at it, compare Rafeal's handball to Muniesa's.

Both calls were made correctly for Pool, neither for us. The inconsistencies are infuriating and we did deserve a point from that game.

jon15u
17-03-2014, 04:35 PM
he was defo offside.

Dailly___7
17-03-2014, 05:43 PM
Even Sky Sports showed the brief highlights of the game the other day and when showing Nolan's disallowed goal said "Kevin Nolan had a goal ruled out for offside, although replays showed he was onside."

Surely the leading Sports News channel couldn't be wrong about it?

So I looked up the rule.

Apparently, the basic offside rule is that you have to be in front of or level with at least TWO players from the opposing team when you receive the ball. We only think of it as needing to be in front of one defender as we don't think of the goalkeeper (who is usually on his line) as a defender.

Nolan was only level with one defender, and therefore offside.

SepticHammer
17-03-2014, 08:31 PM
[quote="Dailly___7"

Surely the leading Sports News channel couldn't be wrong about it?

So I looked up the rule.

Apparently, the basic offside rule is that you have to be in front of or level with at least TWO players from the opposing team when you receive the ball. We only think of it as needing to be in front of one defender as we don't think of the goalkeeper (who is usually on his line) as a defender.

Nolan was only level with one defender, and therefore offside.[/quote]

Thanks for that, I missed that part looking at the replay and had the volume off ( Trevor Francis!!). it was still a fackin penalty tho!

jon15u
18-03-2014, 03:59 PM
Thanks for that, I missed that part looking at the replay and had the volume off ( Trevor Francis!!). it was still a fackin penalty tho!

thats what i said, hence the goalkeeper reference.