PDA

View Full Version : Any chance of balanced views?

AucklandRover
12-03-2014, 10:28 PM
Another disappointing result, but I have to say I'm staggered by the over-reaction in some places. For example, I've just looked at the post-match comments on the LET site, where some fans are poisonously abusive about GB.
Yes, his tactics are puzzling at times, but the claims that he has brought in nothing but no-hopers are ridiculous.
Just think about this: how often have more than two of our four most creative players (Marshall, Dunn, Cairney and Evans) been available at the same time? Frequently, only one of them has been fit, and I think there were two or three matches where NONE of that four could play.
Of course, that is Bowyer's fault too for not making them fit enough! Surely we can see that is nonsense. Injuries are 95% pure chance. The idea that these players are taking to the pitch with less than full conditioning is just laughable.
Bournemouth have obviously improved dramatically in the course of the season, and it was always going to be a 50-50 game.
Rhodes seems to have

DanRrr
12-03-2014, 10:40 PM
Aucks, it was a dire Rovers performance, I mean dire. It's the 1st game I've left early for as long as I can honestly remember.

I'll go from back to front. Defence - no shape, no covering for each other or 2 going for the same ball. In possession, mainly blind hoofs up the pitch aside from about 3 or 4 good passes out by Hanley.

Midfield - Again, no cohesion at all, Varney was particularly poor, although his work rate may appear good, it is very misguided, (he looks like an over eager child trying to get noticed). Absolutely nobody helping out players in possession, essentially forcing whoever had the ball to play like Maradona or eventually run into a dead end, because no one presented themselves as an option. Rhodes was Rhodes and without decent service will always struggle, he tried flick ons for Gestede, but they were all done blind, no communication between the 2 yet. Maybe it will come. Gestede did a decent job, but couldn't play 11 on his own.

I would like to say something po

Wacked1212
12-03-2014, 10:47 PM
[quote="DanRrr"]Aucks, it was a dire Rovers performance, I mean dire. It's the 1st game I've left early for as long as I can honestly remember.

I'll go from back to front. Defence - no shape, no covering for each other or 2 going for the same ball. In possession, mainly blind hoofs up the pitch aside from about 3 or 4 good passes out by Hanley.

Midfield - Again, no cohesion at all, Varney was particularly poor, although his work rate may appear good, it is very misguided, (he looks like an over eager child trying to get noticed). Absolutely nobody helping out players in possession, essentially forcing whoever had the ball to play like Maradona or eventually run into a dead end, because no one presented themselves as an option. Rhodes was Rhodes and without decent service will always struggle, he tried flick ons for Gestede, but they were all done blind, no communication between the 2 yet. Maybe it will come. Gestede did a decent job, but couldn't play 11 o

AucklandRover
12-03-2014, 10:52 PM
[quote="DanRrr"]Aucks, it was a dire Rovers performance, I mean dire. It's the 1st game I've left early for as long as I can honestly remember.

Midfield - Again, no cohesion at all, Varney was particularly poor, although his work rate may appear good, it is very misguided, (he looks like an over eager child trying to get noticed). Absolutely nobody helping out players in possession, essentially forcing whoever had the ball to play like Maradona or eventually run into a dead end, because no one presented themselves as an option. Rhodes was Rhodes and without decent service will always struggle, he tried flick ons for Gestede, but they were all done blind, no communication between the 2 yet. Maybe it will come. Gestede did a decent job, but couldn't play 11 o

DanRrr
12-03-2014, 11:04 PM
Aucks, I promise, I'm not letting the result guide my view here. I've clapped losing Rover's sides off the pitch before now and been proud of them for the game they played. Tonight even if we'd have been winning, I still would have left early, it was just not worth watching. So you're right to trust me ;D

I think GB has a done a great job of getting the club back on a much more stable and idiot free footing. He's also had a lot to do in terms of clearing players out and handling a squad until recently of big ego's upsetting the apple cart. So on that front he's done very well.

But as you say, Varney was pointless and costly signing. He's not needed, offers nothing really. Has dire positional awareness and is a liablity. Freeny also sits in that category and makes the team worse, taking pitch time away from better players.

I really hope on this rolling contract lark, Bowyer would stay on at the club. He's done what I expected this season, and that produced a mid table team that were

needle
12-03-2014, 11:06 PM
Not a single positive to come from tonights game . I`d like to say we were rubbish , but , we werent even that good .
I dont ever boo at games , tonight was almost the exception !
For the very first time I am having doubts about Bowyer , but I still reckon he is worth till next Christmas .

AucklandRover
12-03-2014, 11:07 PM
[quote="DanRrr"]Aucks, I promise, I'm not letting the result guide my view here. I've clapped losing Rover's sides off the pitch before now and been proud of them for the game they played. Tonight even if we'd have been winning, I still would have left early, it was just not worth watching. So you're right to trust me ;D

I think GB has a done a great job of getting the club back on a much more stable and idiot free footing. He's also had a lot to do in terms of clearing players out and handling a squad until recently of big ego's upsetting the apple cart. So on that front he's done very well.

But as you say, Varney was pointless and costly signing. He's not needed, offers nothing really. Has dire positional awareness and is a liablity. Freeny also sits in that category and makes the team worse, taking pitch time away from better players.

I really hope on this rolling contract lark, Bowyer would stay on at the club. He's done what I expected this season,

blue_bruce
13-03-2014, 01:22 AM
They're not side by side though Aucks, tonight tops off a three match losing streak. We haven't had a three match winning streak.

Bournemouth are no great shakes, and after the last two pitiful performances, losing tonight was just unacceptable. I came over for the Burnley game, but am back in Blackpool so couldn't make tonight, so I won't pass comment on the actual performance. But this really isn't on anymore.

Let me be clear. I've supported Bowyer all season (in terms of keeping the job, but I'm in agreement that many tactical decisions have been poor). But tonight's result means I've officially surrendered the idea that we have any chance of making the playoffs. And that's just not acceptable. From January onwards we've had plenty of opportunities to make a playoff spot our own, and tossed them away pathetically.

I'm not saying sack him. Yet. But if this slide continues, it should be reviewed at the end of the season. That's my balanced view.

Rvblue
13-03-2014, 08:23 AM
Aucks, this reminded me of the side of Dick Mulvaney and Jim Fryatt of 45 years ago. As the above posts say it was truly awful with Lee Camp having little to do. It was really as bad as that.

To say this was a bounce back game there was little reaction to Sunday after the first few minutes. Once Bournemouth steadied the ship and began to find their men well they grew in confidence.

I have to say I did not recognize any of the Bournemouth playerss in the line up but like Burnley they were enthusiastic, organised and had no little amount of ability. They pressed high up the pitch all game and their inter passing through midfield left us again chasing the game. They always had an option and they had the ability to put some fluid passing moves together. The contrast to Rovers whose midfield options were to play long, sideways or backwards posed little threat.

I am with the others that right now GB looks lost. I do not see a plan to get out of this. He keeps repeating errors of game

Despair
13-03-2014, 09:21 AM
Aucks, I like yourself am very dismayed at some of the venom being posted (but not all that surprised).
As I say some of the 'more passionate' supporter are hurting and hitting out. In most cases using irrational knee jerk reactionary reasoning.

Having said that I do understand it to point, in that each individual is forming their own opinion upon GB's abilities.
My issue is that even when he has the majority of his staff available, he still appears to make (to me anyway) some very illogical decisions, and even in doing so is seemingly very indecisive in the process.

In an ideal world where we all felt comfortable under Venkys ownership, not still carrying baggage from earlier, not having the spectre of FFP hanging over us. To determine to hang onto GB throughout next season in order for him to maybe find his feet is very virtuous and fair. I myself am fully ready to give him this opportunity, if only for reward for stabilising the club.
My only issue is my instinct that he is at h

ROVERREDROSE
13-03-2014, 10:41 AM
Horrible. It was the worst I have seen in 25 years given the team we were playing.If we start accepting losing these games we are heading one way. Its been heading to this a long while its been rubbish all season in my opinion apart from a handful of games. Different team selection week in week out and I don't have a clue what our formations are meant to be. Hes running out of excuses now by insinuating the supporters are somewhat to blame for making the game flat. How the **** is it my fault ? am I on the pitch ? do I pick the team ? sign the players ? train the team ? lame and weak excuse of desperation to deflect the blame its hes paid job to motivate them. The foundations would be appearing by now if next season was to be better and nothing whatsoever indicates it will. I would like an offer to be made for him to stay on in reserve/youth role and told hes done alright then everyones happy. Bowyers been able to bring in ten times in player numbers,fees and wages what some managers

Bobcrompton1896
13-03-2014, 03:34 PM
Couldnt agree more. Given our massive resources(compared to say Burnley or even Bournemouth!!)we are clearly not getting the best out of what weve got.:blue: >:(

Gary Bowyer has done a reasonable job in shifting some of the dead wood(not easy)but I dont understand this insatiable desire to sign more & more & more players of poor quality cos obviously it MUST impinge on the wage bill :? :?

I personally think he would be better employed changing the backroom staff to get a few fitter players(it seems to work at Burnley)where everyone except Jordan Rhodes doesnt get injured. Also the coaching staff needs overhauling as some of the goals we concede are just embarassing :/ :/