PDA

View Full Version : OS New Images

GARNETT
15-03-2014, 06:30 AM
Latest pics - view external link (http://www.bimtechnologies.co.uk/case-studies/view/21/olympic-stadium-transformation)

mrbubbles
15-03-2014, 08:17 AM
Not long now befor we move in' gonna be an emotional day when UPTON PARK gets pulled down that's for sure. :heart:

GARNETT
15-03-2014, 08:24 AM
Not long now befor we move in' gonna be an emotional day when UPTON PARK gets pulled down that's for sure. :heart:

Didn`t know TFL were demolishing the tube station.
Learn something new every day.

OZHAMMER
15-03-2014, 08:33 AM

Learn something new every day.[/quote]

that's a real p!ss-off of yours, isn't it alf?! XD

GARNETT
15-03-2014, 09:12 AM

that's a real p!ss-off of yours, isn't it alf?! XD[/quote]

I`m afraid it is OZ, I hate it.
Why do people insist, particularly tv presenters on not calling our home The Boleyn Ground ? why ? WHY ? and its even worse coming from supporters.
Makes my blood boil >:(
Morning btw or whatever time it is down under.

OZHAMMER
15-03-2014, 09:20 AM

that's a real p!ss-off of yours, isn't it alf?! XD[/quote]

I`m afraid it is OZ, I hate it.
Why do people insist, particularly tv presenters on not calling our home The Boleyn Ground ? why ? WHY ? and its even worse coming from supporters.
Makes my blood boil >:(
Morning btw or whatever time it is down under.[/quote]

evening mate (8:15pm btw ;) )

where does the confusion lie with the of the ground? has it always been the boleyn ground? did they change the and there are still a few clingers-on?

as a young'n, i grew up thinking it was upton park... never heard it referred to as any

rednekst
15-03-2014, 09:24 AM
Well you've got the Boleyn Ground for another couple of seasons Alf, then it's off too The Queen Elizabeth Park for the next 90 odd years. XD

Wonder what the stadium it'self will be called though.

Red Bull ????

GARNETT
15-03-2014, 09:30 AM
Evening OZ,
Never been mate but it`s on the bucket list.
My uncle who first took me ALWAYS referred to it as Boleyn Ground and that's all I`ve ever used, but going back to my childhood I can vividly remember the likes of Brian Moore David Coleman Gerald Sinstadt and many other referring to our home as the tube station.
I think kirky is a tad older than me ;D he may well be able to enlighten us as to how or why the trend started, if he cant there`s always Sir Knowitall, I`m sure he will have an opinion on the subject. :(

OZHAMMER
15-03-2014, 09:38 AM
and you can rest assured that mr. drown's opinion would be the correct one.

Ironworks1
15-03-2014, 09:41 AM
Evening OZ,
Never been mate but it`s on the bucket list.
My uncle who first took me ALWAYS referred to it as Boleyn Ground and that's all I`ve ever used, but going back to my childhood I can vividly remember the likes of Brian Moore David Coleman Gerald Sinstadt and many other referring to our home as the tube station.
I think kirky is a tad older than me ;D he may well be able to enlighten us as to how or why the trend started, if he cant there`s always Sir Knowitall, I`m sure he will have an opinion on the subject. :(

Presumed it was just because it's in The Upton Park area :?

rednekst
15-03-2014, 09:44 AM
C & P...

The club rented Green Street House and grounds in the Municipal Borough of East Ham from the Roman Catholic Church from around 1912. Green Street House was known locally as Boleyn Castle because of its imposing nature and an association with Anne Boleyn, who had either stayed at, or as some believe, owned the house, the ground is said to be haunted by one of her maids who died in childbirth. Hence renting the grounds of "Boleyn Castle" the Boleyn Ground came into being. Today the ground is far more commonly known as Upton Park, after the Upton Park, London area in which it is located.

Dailly___7
20-03-2014, 12:07 AM
I usually refer to our stadium as the Boleyn Ground, but do find it funny when some of the older heads get so annoyed when somebody calls it Upton Park.

I know one bloke at work in particular who always goes off on a rant every time I purposely mention that I'm going to Upton Park at the weekend XD

The older fans mostly call it the Boleyn, most younger fans call it Upton Park as do the majority of pundits and neutral fans.

However, I must admit that I did get slightly annoyed when I heard our new PA announcer say "Welcome to Upton Park" earlier in the season >:(

Once we move into the OS, I'm likely to keep calling it the Olympic Stadium even if its official is after a sponsor.

kirkup
20-03-2014, 06:13 PM
Alf,

Was always, and still is Upton Park as far as I'm concerned.

Really not sure when this poncy Boleyn Ground nonsense started, although I'll blame that chunt Terence Brown :D :D

How many songs mention the Boleyn Ground, none that I can think of, and can you imagine " From the Boleyn Ground to Stamford Bridge etc." or "we're not the north bank, not the south bank, we're the west side Boleyn Ground"

To be honest the Boleyn Ground p1sses me off as much as Upton Park does you. :) :)

Dailly not sure, but would guess those songs are older than you, so would have thought it was the other way round on the old heads to young heads thingy.

As for the PA was more p1ssed off, when he described Anton Ferdinand as a West Ham legend FFS.

JimmyV66
20-03-2014, 06:28 PM
A discussion that has been had many a time. One that some West Ham fans should be quite embarrassed about, the fact that they dont even know the offical of our ground. :blue:

West Ham United play at the BOLEYN GROUND, that is offical.

The Area is known as Upton Park.

"Ground: Boleyn Ground, Green Street, Upton Park, London E13 9AZ" - view external link (www.whufc.com/page/StadiumInformation/0,,12562,00.html)

dagenhamJohn
20-03-2014, 06:34 PM
its the tube station that shadows the of our ground mate, you could even argue why we don't play at West Ham.

kirkup
20-03-2014, 06:53 PM
A discussion that has been had many a time. One that some West Ham fans should be quite embarrassed about, the fact that they dont even know the offical of our ground. :blue:

"Ground: Boleyn Ground, Green Street, Upton Park, London E13 9AZ"

Sorry Jimmy the only West Ham fans that should be embarrassed are the ones who believe the rubbish on the O/S.

BTW was you around in the 60's/70's if not, I would suggest you don't know what your talking about.

Then again I suppose many, many fans you talk to would back up your version.

dagenhamJohn
20-03-2014, 07:00 PM

"Ground: Boleyn Ground, Green Street, Upton Park, London E13 9AZ"

Sorry Jimmy the only West Ham fans that should be embarrassed are the ones who believe the rubbish on the O/S.

BTW was you around in the 60's/70's if not, I would suggest you don't know what your talking about.

Then again I suppose many, many fans you talk to would back up your version.[/quote]"Ground: Boleyn Ground, Green Street, Upton Park, London E13 9AZ" Bangladesh or Mumbai on the end of that would be quite appropiate!

JimmyV66
20-03-2014, 07:02 PM
Kirkup you are wrong this time. Very wrong.

Always has been the Boleyn Ground and always will be.

Go in the suporters club and tell them what you are claiming here and you will be laughed out big time.

You call yourself a West Ham fan and yet think the ground is called Upton Park because of a few songs. Feller you should be hanging your head in shame.

PS no i was not around in the 60's but i know plenty of WHU fans of that era and long before. Try telling them you think our ground is called Upton Park and you would get very short shrift.

I would sugest you also check old programmes, all have the Boleyn Ground as our. Ask John Northcutt, Roy Shoesmith, Jack Helliar the same question.

JimmyV66
20-03-2014, 07:06 PM
Oh btw Kirkup that fact you have tried to insult me by claiming that i dont know what im talking about just proves you are in the wrong and you know you have made yourself look a bit of a tool.

How can a West Ham fan who has "Kirkup" as his username not even know what ground we play at. :O

dagenhamJohn
20-03-2014, 07:08 PM
Oh btw Kirkup that fact you have tried to insult me by claiming that i dont know what im talking about just proves you are in the wrong and you know you have made yourself look a bit of a tool.

How can a West Ham fan who has "Kirkup" as his username not even know what ground we play at. :Othink he does mate :D
easy now :)

JimmyV66
20-03-2014, 07:10 PM

How can a West Ham fan who has "Kirkup" as his username not even know what ground we play at. :Othink he does mate :D
easy now :)[/quote]

Clearly he does not though.

Love to see him stand in the centre circle on a match day and claim that the offical of our ground is "upton park" and NOT the "Boleyn Ground"

Doubt he would get out a live. XD

kirkup
20-03-2014, 07:10 PM
So Jimmy you wasn't around in the era yet your telling me I'm wrong, priceless.

I use the Supporters Club, and was a member their for years, never ever in all that time heard anyone refer to Upton Park as the Boleyn Ground.

I also know many, many people who would laugh their nuts off, if told that Upton Park, was always really the Boleyn Ground. More modern day crap, to illustrate modern football is sh1te.

However if you want to call it the Boleyn Ground carry on, I will still call it Upton Park if that's ok with you, and the many, many people you talk to.

JimmyV66
20-03-2014, 07:14 PM
Call it what you want, does not really bother me when people refer to it as Upton Park. Just like i dont care when people say Hammers rather than Irons.

But facts are facts, and West Ham offically play at the BOLEYN GROUND.

Funny thing is it is normally the older generation of West Ham fan who gets pissed of when the younger generation refer to the ground as Upton Park.

But you believe what you want. But you are very very very wrong.

pnethor
20-03-2014, 07:19 PM
The firm i used to work for were sub-contracted to supply some of the structural steelwork for the OS and i personally fabricated 250 of the cleats that hold up the roof. Had to get some new tooling in for the Press Brake as the OS cleats were 20mm thick and our original tooling would only fold up to 15mm.

kirkup
20-03-2014, 07:19 PM
If you say so Jimmy I know you like the last word on everything, so will leave it there, before you go into meltdown mode.

JimmyV66
20-03-2014, 07:22 PM
More proof for you.

"The Boleyn Ground - or Upton Park?

Even today much of the media (and many of the club's own supporters) still refer to West Ham United's stadium as Upton Park - however its actual is The Boleyn Ground. Upton Park (geographically E6, E13) is simply the of the area in which the Boleyn Ground is situated - so although it is correct to say that West Ham United play in Upton Park, they actually play at the Boleyn Ground!"

"The Boleyn Ground,[1] often referred to as Upton Park due to its location in Upton Park, London, is the football stadium of West Ham United F.C. playing in the Premier League. The stadium has a capacity of 35,016."

Plus as you already saw above the OS.

GSAM. :) - view external link (//www.kumb.com/club.php)

JimmyV66
20-03-2014, 07:29 PM
If you say so Jimmy I know you like the last word on everything, so will leave it there, before you go into meltdown mode.

Just admit you have made a bit of a pranny of yourself here mate. No harm done. You are not the first to get this wrong and you will be far from the last.

I dont need to have the last word, i am right on this one and i have shown you the proof.

Try contacting West Ham United's offical historians and aking them. Think you might be finding yourself saying "oops made myself look kinda silly here"

If you really believe that you are right then show me your proof.

No meltdown to be had. Im right, you are wrong.

Again GSAM. :D

Ironworks1
20-03-2014, 08:37 PM
I don't think Kirkup's disputing the official - agreed it's the Boleyn Ground.

What he's saying is that fans mainly referred to it, as far as he remembers, as Upton Park.

Must admit, I never heard anyone I went football with in the eighties refer to it as the Boleyn, although I accept it is used widely now. Thought it was broadly known in the media as UP growing up but I may be wrong.

I'm not from the area though so I'll defer to others on the subject.

JimmyV66
20-03-2014, 08:58 PM
IW1, he is claming that the stadium we play out if offically Upton Park and not the Boleyn Ground.

He is wrong.

I dont really care if people say Upton Park or the Boleyn just like i dont care when people say Hammers rather than Irons.

But the offical of West Ham United's home ground is THE BOLEYN GROUND.

mickyj
20-03-2014, 09:12 PM
I'm in my early 40s and like 99% of my generation I call it Upton park, but the official for our home is the Boleyn Ground although I have heard it called things like Gupton park aswell. B)

BlackDiamond
20-03-2014, 09:22 PM
OK lets clear this up right now.

Officially the ground is called Boleyn.

All football fans refer to it as Upton park; a misnomer maybe,but a fact. I automatically think and say UP and have always done so,despite knowing the official was Boleyn. Why ? because it just is.

The media so careful these days, of accurate reporting, refer to Boleyn because that is it's actual, in a factual sense and use UP in a colloquial sense in general use.
Now that may be slightly odd, but that's the way it is old chinas.

I saw a chap lose on Master mind by not knowing his boleyn's from his UP's. The look on his face was priceless...it said "You are s.hitting me ?.."

Dailly___7
21-03-2014, 12:12 AM
Such a pointless and silly argument XD XD

There is no right or wrong. The official of our stadium is the Boleyn Ground but many fans of West Ham and of other clubs call it Upton Park. The majority in fact. Some places or buildings have more than one. Doesn't matter which you call it, and certainly doesn't make you any less of a supporter if you don't use the official ffs :/

Kirkup

Make you right about the Anton thing. That got a great laugh and a "did he really just say that" reaction :D

bonzosbest74
21-03-2014, 12:28 AM
I've always called it 'Boleyn Park' >:(

I once had a proper 'Tear-up' with some Muppet who called the B167 'Green Street' pfft. . . . . .what a c.unt. I chased him all the way to the A406 and reminded him that no self respecting Irons fan would refer to as f.ucking Green St. >:(

I had to calm myself down with a cuppa and a Snickers. . . . er I mean Marathon.

stevo1272
21-03-2014, 03:53 AM
As far as I'm concerned it don't matter what it's called..I go in the supporters club before every game and I hear people calling it Upton Park and the Boleyn ground.

All a matter of personal opinion...pointless argument

jon15u
21-03-2014, 06:27 AM
I have always preffered Upton Park other than the proper "The Boleyn Ground." But im an oldie. But that aint going to make me hold my head in shame. I know but i choose otherwise.

And i think Kirkup was saying the same. He knows the real just as it has for him, like me, never ever been " The Boleyn Ground. " It will always be Upton Park.

Sam Allardyce`s real is Froggy but some still refer to him as Sam

Paulo_10
21-03-2014, 06:50 AM
I call it Upton Park, just like 80% of people do but I know it's the Boleyn Ground officially.

I think the fact that the area has 'Park' in the confuses people. If the area was called 'Upton Corner', everyone would call it the Boleyn Ground.

You can't argue with Companies House: http://data.companieshouse.gov.uk/doc/company/00066516

rednekst
21-03-2014, 11:25 AM
What silly children we all are arguing over the of our ground!

Post 11 says why the ground is call Boleyn etc but I refer to it in day to day speech as Upton Park.

I have been supporting since the middle to late fifties (yeah, I know that makes me a silly old (unt) and we always referred to it as UP.

Eggerts_Ears
21-03-2014, 12:00 PM
Kirkup, you are sooo far WRONG it isn't funny. I've got LOADS of mates and they ALL call it the Boleyn and they always have done.

My Grandad's best mate used to go in the 1030's and he tells me if anyone had used the term Upton Park,they would have had one of those old clapper things stuffed up their Arris.

If YOU call it Upton Park, that makes you WRONG. Wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong. I have told you, and don't forget, I have loads of mates in my stories to back me up. Amazingly, they ALWAYS agree with me too, no matter how much utter sh1te I come out with.

JimmyV66
21-03-2014, 01:33 PM
Not a very original post there EE. You have just tried to do the same sarcastic "humour" that Kikup already did earlier in the thread.

At least try and come out with your own stuff.

Could have put good money on you sticking your oar in. No where to be seen on footymad for ages then like a bad smell there you are. So predictable. XD

Not saying fans do not refer to the ground as Upton Park or that they are wrong for doing so. I am saying that anyone who believes like Kirkup does that the offical of our home is Upton Park then they are not only wrong but should also be embarrassed.

0ziron
21-03-2014, 01:48 PM
[quote="JimmyV66" that Kikup already did earlier in the thread.

Could have put good money on you sticking your oar in. No where to be seen on footymad for ages then like a bad smell there you are. So predictable. XD

Not saying fans do not refer to the ground as Upton Park or that they are wrong for doing so. I am saying that anyone who believes like Kirkup does that the offical of our home is Upton Park then they are not only wrong but should also be embarrassed.[/quote]

Wot he said... you argumentative c.unt...:s :s

Ironworks1
21-03-2014, 05:46 PM
[quote="JimmyV66" that Kikup already did earlier in the thread.

Not saying fans do not refer to the ground as Upton Park or that they are wrong for doing so. I am saying that anyone who believes like Kirkup does that the offical of our home is Upton Park then they are not only wrong but should also be embarrassed.[/quote]

Where does he say it's the official :? :?

You're arguing against something that no-one said

dagenhamJohn
21-03-2014, 05:55 PM
in retrospect the tube station should have beend Boleyn Ground,
would have saved all this nonsense.

Ironworks1
21-03-2014, 06:00 PM
Thank F uck the boozer isn't called the Upton :D

Bloggs19
21-03-2014, 11:38 PM
The firm i used to work for were sub-contracted to supply some of the structural steelwork for the OS and i personally fabricated 250 of the cleats that hold up the roof. Had to get some new tooling in for the Press Brake as the OS cleats were 20mm thick and our original tooling would only fold up to 15mm.

Hide any fish in the curtains while you were there?

Still no one clear design and explanation on how this is going to work.

I hope we get it right as it will be some stadium if done correctly.

Our board have done well on this.