PDA

View Full Version : Airdrie

smokie_bacon_crisps
15-03-2014, 06:53 PM
Today was a hard one to take. A horrible wind once more but with Keddie sitting out due to suspension I thought we stood up well in the first half with Little swapping in for Keddie and Banjo taking up his right back role. Sadly we got stung with their height at a corner but it wasn't the prettiest 45 minutes for either team and the referee constantly blowing for every little thing didn't help the game flow.

We dominated the second half and the closest I think they came was a Banjo sliced clearance. A two footed tackle on Sheerin meant they had to play 30 minutes with 10 but I had a feeling it wasn't going to be our day when McManus failed to score when the keeper slipped and he only had to hit the back of the net and Dayle (I think) smashing the bar. As much as he was annoying to watch with his keepie up antics their keeper really did keep them in it with some brilliant saves. I also don't think Little's challenge was a straight red.

It's going to be tough now, and I think we h

Bellevue
15-03-2014, 07:04 PM
This was a must win match and we just were not good enough to win it.
Playing against 10 men with the wind in our backs for the best part of the second half should have been to our advantage but we couldn't make it count. So relegation is definitely on the cards as we have some difficult games coming up and it's hard to see where we can pick up enough points to make even the play-off place.

maroonie
15-03-2014, 07:32 PM
This was a must win match and we just were not good enough to win it.
Playing against 10 men with the wind in our backs for the best part of the second half should have been to our advantage but we couldn't make it count. So relegation is definitely on the cards as we have some difficult games coming up and it's hard to see where we can pick up enough points to make even the play-off place.
Agreed Bellevue. We have Ayr Rangers at home and Stenny in next 3. Hard to see much of a points haul from that. Imo we can get, at best, the playoff spot and with the Fifers in free fall it's not impossible but will take performances of a very high level, helluva lot better than today's fare to get there. Let's hope the guys can raise their game and prove us wrong. C'mon lichties.

Arbroath1
15-03-2014, 08:45 PM
Felt as though we were snatching at chances in he second half, first half was a non event although we started well enough coudn,t really see Airdrie scoring however our frailties at corners reeled again believe KEEPER didn,t come for cross ??? We huffed and puffed econd half hit hte bar, two cleared of the line, more than enough chances to win let alone draw. Thought Airdrie double teamed bobby linn every time he threatened to break one on one. Still only one point behind EAST FIFE however as been said big games coming up Ayr going for play offs so we must stop Moffat somehow !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We must keep the faith as i believe in this team
they can play some great passing play, however the wind AGAIN today spoiled it...

(-:

timlichtie
15-03-2014, 09:23 PM
Very disappointing. Really should have taken at least a point. We started to get really anxious and lose passing fluency in the second half. Even our player of the season, Bobby Linn was making mistakes. As A1 said he was well marked by their defence.

Airdrie pinched a soft goal then defended well. Something we have struggled to do this season.

Off to lovely Somerset next week hoping that Ayr show some more inconsistency.

ectolichtie
16-03-2014, 01:13 PM
Would take 9th now and a crack at the play-offs after yesterday

Slightly of track but every game is now ruined by the wind, I know it is the same for both teams, but as a spectacle for the paying punter, it is awful at times, the entertainment value and excitement maybe fine but the quality of play is poor, the only game I can think of this season that was played in calm conditions was the Rangers game and it was played in the evening, just a thought maybe we should look to alternatives to playing home games in the afternoon

stan3600
16-03-2014, 07:07 PM
It's always been windy at Gayfield. In the past we have had quality players who could deal with it and still play football (and poor ones who couldn't).

ectolichtie
16-03-2014, 07:15 PM
It's always been windy at Gayfield. In the past we have had quality players who could deal with it and still play football (and poor ones who couldn't).

Windy, yes, but it seems to be a howling gale every week

Nonsmokingsmokie
16-03-2014, 08:07 PM
Yes it is strange how, in recent months, the wind has get up again at the weekend even after a calm and placid preceding week.

Disagree with stan though. It's been a long time (over 2-3 decades) since we seemed to be more comfortable than the opposition in playing in windy conditions. It's always surprised me that we frequently seem to cope less well than the away team. For instance the Airdrie keeper was generally kicking out better than ours though, despite the result I thought we did better than usual second half with the wind at our backs - too often we try nothing.

Overall I'd say we score as many into the wind.

Do we not train now in Perth rather than at Gayfield as in the past? That might be one reason we're so inept

maroonie
16-03-2014, 09:38 PM

Windy, yes, but it seems to be a howling gale every week[/quote]
The weather around the country has changed considerably in recent years as per the floods and extreme waves. Also the wind seems to have got stronger. Maybe switching to playing in the evening might help as it does seem to calm down more often later in the day.

ectolichtie
16-03-2014, 09:50 PM

Windy, yes, but it seems to be a howling gale every week[/quote]
The weather around the country has changed considerably in recent years as per the floods and extreme waves. Also the wind seems to have got stronger. Maybe switching to playing in the evening might help as it does seem to calm down more often later in the day.[/quote]

That was my point, fans home and away, are not going to attend if the games continue to be a debacle,

DougLichtie
16-03-2014, 10:06 PM
Recycling + stop using aerosols + save the rainforests = Lichties in Premiership...simples!!!
Climate change has a lot to answer for.
The fact we can't put the ball in the net is due to the 0.5 degree rise in temperature.
The fact that Chisholm's main contribution was again running to get the ball as they wasted time was due to rising tidal levels.
Mind you their no. 9 did look like he had been genetically modified.
We again deserved something from the game and agree we looked nervous and some good opportunities squandered by lack of composure.
Fingers crossed it comes good soon.

AFC1320
18-03-2014, 10:33 PM
Thought the wind again caused havoc in this game, from a neutrals point of view the Red Lichties were the better team with the majority of the game but the way things were going we were never going to score.
The keeper Grant Adam was in superb form and dealt with anything thrown at him, Shagger McManus who pounced on Adams one and only mistake would have scored 9 times out of ten but alas hurried his shot.
Unfortunately our best player Bobby Linn never looked 100% fit and Cook also was off form.
The ref Brines was shocking.
Best for us were Nicoll and McManus.

Still 6 points out the last 3 games is decent but agree it is between us and the Fifers now.

C'mon the Red Lichties.

theweesausage
20-03-2014, 09:04 AM
Just watched the highlights (minus Shaggers rushed effort) how did we not get at least a point from the game? - view external link (https://vimeo.com/89434908)