PDA

View Full Version : What to do with Rhodes

needle
15-03-2014, 08:31 PM
If he is not scoring then he is pretty much ineffective and we are carrying one.
But then like today "he scores when he wants" .
So what do we do ?
Keep him ?
Sell him ?

test
15-03-2014, 09:05 PM
I see no reason to sell him.:?

DanRrr
15-03-2014, 09:10 PM
He's a proven finisher. Keep him. It's the managers job to select a system that provides for him to keep him confident. Today, the stage and system obviously suited him. Hopefully he's coming back to form.

Juninho
15-03-2014, 10:04 PM
he will go some point but should work on his game more.

MillHillRover
15-03-2014, 10:14 PM
he will go some point but should work on his game more.

I've just spoke to Jordan via twitter and he reassured me that he will work on his game if you will work on your English and grammar :P

seventwo
15-03-2014, 10:29 PM
Once upon a time a club would build a team around him.

He seems to exist to prove that many Rovers fans know feck all about football.

DanRrr
15-03-2014, 10:35 PM

Glad there's two of us that feel the same. Recent systems have pushed him wide. Totally pointless, he can't do anything but finish. But he can finish! Just supply him. It's phucking simple.

seventwo
15-03-2014, 10:38 PM
It really is that simple.
All managers would love to have a 25+ goal scorer in their squad and perhaps most would achieve more with him?

Pooch
15-03-2014, 10:47 PM
I'd never sell a proven goalscorer. They are VERY hard to come by. I don't care if for 88 minutes he's useless..it's the few minutes that he scores that count. He's a striker pure and simple.

Howie5o
15-03-2014, 11:04 PM

exactly ..all the crap earlier in the season regarding getting shut of Rhodes...get shut of the ten (or more precisely)those that cant play to his game ,,,

Proven goalscorer ...look into Yawkshur and see what Burnley have done with a certain Danny Ings ..a team around him and flying ..

Drop Jordan Rhodes ...get shut of Jordan Rhodes ...my god ..some people need to start going to actually watch Rovers instead of simply summising ...

PrawoJazdi
16-03-2014, 12:06 AM
Surely the question should be 'when will we have to sell him?' A championship side will struggle to support the wages of A?40,000 a week when they are facing new financial fair play regulations. The new contract will only give leverage over the inevitable transfer when it happens. The only question remains...who will want the gormless Yawkshur eejut!

Despair
16-03-2014, 08:54 AM
My view of JR has not changed since we first bought him. My only surprise is his scoring rate he has achieved within 'our system' (it just does not suit him).
We paid over the odds, and this without another competitive offer 'on the table'. This because all others could recognise his weakness/s.
Quite right in saying that if you are going to pay the sort of money that we have for him and put him on the wages we are paying you MUST build your game plan and tactics around him.
This is not pandering to him (as some suggested) its just basic common sense.
Yesterday we collectively pressed hard from midfield accord to Kev Gall (maybe due to Lowe leaving the field, who can say) and this created uncertainty and some panic in their back line, which is what JR thrives on.
What we all have been saying and asking for, for what seems like an eternity.
Get the deliveries right and he will score well into the high 20's consistently.

IF GB at last determines this as our best tactic, no matter who we

needle
16-03-2014, 09:29 AM
(maybe due to Lowe leaving the field, who can say)
You do know that Lowe was playing at Right Back , dont you ????

Despair
16-03-2014, 10:13 AM
Yes I did, and we are/were all relieved at that!
I missed putting a wink after the comment of him 'leaving the field' as so many are frankly bemused/frustrated by his regular inclusion.
I am of the opinion that although I Despair of his negative effect of his midfield positioning, there must be something that we are all not recognising in his make up that has made him a regular for quite a few managers (and at Int'l level!).
Not quite sure what that is :? but as said 'keep him at RB where he is more useful and not affecting our lacklustre midfield momentum.

robinrover
16-03-2014, 10:23 AM
Without question we need to keep Rhodes
I feel we seem to get more from him when he has somebody Sat just behind him like Dunn sadly he only has 60 mins in the tank per game.
Conway will improve supply from the wing to him and cairney is back in training I don't think you need me to tell you our best player this season gets injured and our form goes south his return in the middle or on the wing will improve us no end.

Despair
16-03-2014, 10:43 AM
Providing GB adopts a more (player choice and tactics wise) offensive approach on a regular basis.

champs95
16-03-2014, 10:51 AM
Sell him, we don't need a 20 goal a season striker.
Not in Div 1 which is where we will be playing if we did sell him.

The reason why we have sold all the extra players, and had to bring in squad players, is because we are building a side around him, Cairney, etc etc. Times have changed. Keep the nucleus of this together, and tweak it a bit, we can challenge for promotion next season, or possibly the one after. It all takes time.

backofthenet
16-03-2014, 03:30 PM
My biggest fear is that this decision will be taken out of our hands.

Selling him would be the last thing I would want, but when the inevitable offer comes in at the end of the season, he will want to leave.

He comes across as a nice lad, but he wants prem football. We bought him on the premise that we were chasing that and have failed two seasons in a row :-(

claret1978
16-03-2014, 06:37 PM
we will buy him, IF (big if) we make prem, 8mil final offer!;D

seventwo
16-03-2014, 06:50 PM
we will buy him, IF (big if) we make prem, 8mil final offer!;D

I assume that 1978 is your bedtime.

claret1978
16-03-2014, 07:05 PM
wish it was, :D

claret1978
16-03-2014, 07:09 PM
wasn't takeing the p*ss, just highlighting any team bar a few would like to have him in there squad.

Howie5o
16-03-2014, 07:46 PM
wasn't takeing the p*ss, just highlighting any team bar a few would like to have him in there squad.

Burnley wont pay 40 000 grand a week so you are wel out of the equation ...

claret1978
18-03-2014, 07:51 PM
True, he aint worth that, no club or boad in there right mind would pay that, OH Wait! Lol.

champs95
18-03-2014, 09:04 PM
True, he aint worth that, no club or boad in there right mind would pay that, OH Wait! Lol.

A 35year old bloke shouldn't use the phrase 'lol' you need a slap for that one before anything else. :D
It's not a bad idea actually. If we mounted a push next season, or at least see where we are next Jan, then it prices out other clubs. They simply won't pay that.
He scores goals, no matter what. Personally I've seen enough of him to know he isn't quite quick enough for the Prem. And they wouldn't pay the high transfer fee, while others are around, who are cheaper. They could match his wages, but wouldn't pay the fee and risk. Nobody can match his wages in our division, never mind his fee. So that prices everybody out. Career wise for the lad? He scores goals for us. He will continue to do so. If we can build a decent side around him, his goals would be *****. Very much like Ings. Of course, other players need to weigh in too. It's a h

AucklandRover
18-03-2014, 10:06 PM

A 35year old bloke shouldn't use the phrase 'lol' you need a slap for that one before anything else. :D
It's not a bad idea actually. If we mounted a push next season, or at least see where we are next Jan, then it prices out other clubs. They simply won't pay that.
He scores goals, no matter what. Personally I've seen enough of him to know he isn't quite quick enough for the Prem. And they wouldn't pay the high transfer fee, while others are around, who are cheaper. They could match his wages, but wouldn't pay the fee and risk. Nobody can match his wages in our division, never mind his fee. So that prices everybody out. Career wise for the lad? He scores goals for us. He will continue to do so. If we can build a decent side around him, his goals would be *****. Very much like Ings. Of course

claret1978
18-03-2014, 10:11 PM
Anytime you wish to come and give me a slap, just say big lad!

claret1978
18-03-2014, 10:12 PM
Lol;D

claret1978
18-03-2014, 10:16 PM
Seriously though, hes a very good player, just dont think anybody will pay big cash for him, how much do you think he is really worth? Id say 7.5m

AucklandRover
18-03-2014, 10:20 PM
Seriously though, hes a very good player, just dont think anybody will pay big cash for him, how much do you think he is really worth? Id say 7.5m

He's worth what a desperate club - in the circumstances I mentioned - is prepared to pay, which is nothing to do with his "real" value.

champs95
19-03-2014, 12:25 AM
Anytime you wish to come and give me a slap, just say big lad!

Bring back 'like'!!! ;D :D :D

champs95
19-03-2014, 12:31 AM

He scores goals, no matter what. Personally I've seen enough of him to know he isn't quite quick enough for the Prem. And they wouldn't pay the high transfer fee, while others are around, who are cheaper. They could match his wages, but wouldn't pay the fee and risk. Nobody can match his wages in our division, never mind his fee. So that prices everybody out. Career wise for the lad? He scores goals for us. He will continue to do so. If we can build a decent side around him, his g

Bobcrompton1896
19-03-2014, 11:49 AM
Top player in my view. If half the rest of the team played with his consistency we would be top of the championship. But they dont and we arent. :( :( In my view worth as much in wages as half the rest of the first team. ;) Our best performer and he has the most difficult job in the team by a country mile.