PDA

View Full Version : Play -off format

QOS_MAD_ADMIN
16-03-2014, 10:41 AM
Follow link >>> - view external link (http://spfl.co.uk/play-offs/)

shugg1e1919
16-03-2014, 11:17 AM
Four games in 15 days for whoever prevails from 2nd, 3rd, or, 4th in the Championship.
They then have to play another two games in four days against a fresh and well prepared 11th in the Premiership.
A very fair format...NOT !!!

Deke
16-03-2014, 11:39 AM
Still it'll be a good money spinner as I guess there will be tv coverage. Also the Spl team won't have played for 3 weeks so may be a disadvantage. Whatever happens we can't lose as the championship will be a big league next year with rangers and hearts.

We've beaten Dundee, Hamilton and Falkirk this season plus so good chance of getting through but we have to qualify first.

Auld_Chippy
16-03-2014, 12:51 PM
Agreed the format favours the PremierLeague team, it wouldn't have been considered otherwise. It makes for an exciting end to the season if we can maintain our top four position. This really is a win - win situation for Championship Clubs who are not relegated. Of course promotion must be the main aim without doubt but if we don't make it then, financially at least, next season looks to be very promising. (Assuming of course that The Rangers are not out of business again.)

Francis_begbie_HFC
16-03-2014, 01:54 PM
hard format or not this season is the best chance we ever had of making the jump to the premier league ,lets just give it everything and see where it takes us ,cumon the queens onwards and upwards .

Northfield53
16-03-2014, 07:19 PM
Still a long way to go the play offs make it a better end of season but really the most important thing was to stay in this league with Rangers And Hearts in it next season.

Auld_Chippy
16-03-2014, 09:51 PM
Still a long way to go the play offs make it a better end of season but really the most important thing was to stay in this league with Rangers And Hearts in it next season.

Merely hoping to stay in this division for the chance to play the rangers and quasi-rangers is the least of what we should be striving for and should be viewed a poor second best to having a realistic endeavour to gain promotion. The rangers, if still in existence, will probably strengthen in a bid for the third consecutive promotion in their brief history, whilst Hearts' administration problems seem to be over and they too will be able to strengthen their squad so other clubs' chances of promotion the following season are greatly reduced. If financial gain is the top priority then you are correct in wanting to stay in this division although I would argue that promotion to the top division is a greater money earner.

nithvalley
17-03-2014, 09:36 AM
When you have just been promoted surely consolidation in the Division above is priority and anything else is a bonus.

We should be very grateful for where we are at present although I am sure many are ready to criticise and complain if we don't finish fourth - remember the margins are very fine e.g. penalty decision at Falkirk.

Imagine if we were engaged at the lower end of the table instead.

Just because we had a great season last time doesn't mean we could expect to take the Championship by storm.

In football you just never know.

Look at Morton - had a fine season last time and would be expecting similar this time.

Their fans must be so disappointed and their Chairman absolutely devastated about the financial implications for the Club.

Cresswell
17-03-2014, 04:11 PM
I agree, nithvalley; the most important issue for any team (Rangers excepted) that gains promotion is not to be relegated the following season.

I now expect Queens to finish fourth, which actually will be no mean achievement. I also expect Dundee to win the league. Why? Look at attendances over the past two weeks: Cowdenbeath v Alloa 458; Falkirk v Livingston 2924; QOS v Hamilton 1703; Alloa v QOS 644; Dumbarton v Cowdenbeath 687; Hamilton v Falkirk 1706; Livingston v Dundee 1759; and Raith Rovers v Morton 1314. What pretentious nonsense it is to call this league the Championship! Only one game out of eight managed an attendance in excess of 2000. Even with a play-off place and even automatic promotion at stake neither Queens nor Hamilton respectively could attract a crowd approaching 2000. Only Dundee can regularly attract crowds in excess of 4000: substantially bigger crowds than your nearest rivals mean more money and more money than your nearest rivals generally but not exclusivel

Francis_begbie_HFC
17-03-2014, 04:44 PM
i get your point cresswell but by staying in the championship next season will be very hard ,i honestly think with the current premier league being so poor our current squad with 2 or 3 extra signings would avoid relegation and with money coming from tv rights and having teams like celtic ,aberdeen ,dundee united and hibs coming to palmy would generate more money than what we would get out of what is going to be a strong champoinship next term ,all i want is for queens to be the best thay can be and strive to finish as high as thay can ,no one can ask for more than that .