PDA

View Full Version : Backpass Magazine

ralphpom
17-03-2014, 07:08 PM
Now then I'll start a new thread for this and see if anyone is interested Champs ? .. It was the Easter 2012 edition I bought a copy in Smiths in Durham and was surprised to see a small article whereby myself and a couple of other middle aged chaps were talking about this kind of thing

http://i60.tinypic.com/987plf.jpg

..can't take any credit for this fine painting by the way one of the lads from Italy painted these but I thought they might go down well on here .. 74-5 season I think ?

ralphpom
17-03-2014, 07:15 PM
There is a group of us in the UK and a much bigger one in Italy where we get together to play tournaments the old way usually using modern replica figures based on the classic pre-1978 figures ... the events are played to a theme the next one in the UK is at Stoke in August and will be based on the 1951 Festival of Britain games ..all a good laugh and taken none too seriously I might add

champs95
17-03-2014, 07:40 PM
Now then I'll start a new thread for this and see if anyone is interested Champs ? .. It was the Easter 2012 edition I bought a copy in Smiths in Durham and was surprised to see a small article whereby myself and a couple of other middle aged chaps were talking about this kind of thing

http://i60.tinypic.com/987plf.jpg

..can't take any credit for this fine painting by the way one of the lads from Italy painted these but I thought they might go down well on here .. 74-5 season I think ?

That's fantastic Ralph. Great thread too.
I love subbuteo, I even have the rugby version from the 70's (I think?)
But the football one is probably one of the best things related to football (game wise)
I'd love to get my hands on this 74 kit version though.
So you lads must be pretty serious and have a lot of stuff still?

Wacked1212
17-03-2014, 09:23 PM
Magnificent, I think my brother had these...Shouldn't that goalie be on a stick though????

ralphpom
17-03-2014, 10:23 PM
Here is the full team .. in a modern replica team like these you often get both goalies one without a rod for taking goal kicks and such like the other one as normal with the rod .. these are made by an Italian company called Top Spin I don't know the painter as it's all nicknames on the Italian forum

http://i59.tinypic.com/1746fm.jpg

ralphpom
17-03-2014, 10:34 PM
"That's fantastic Ralph. Great thread too.
I love subbuteo, I even have the rugby version from the 70's (I think?)
But the football one is probably one of the best things related to football (game wise)
I'd love to get my hands on this 74 kit version though.
So you lads must be pretty serious and have a lot of stuff still?"

Yes it's all still out there essentially you've got two versions of the game these days people who play the modern style game/rules/equipment and people like us who play to the old rules with the old equipment (or more often modern copies) .. I've got a fair amount of stuff but I don't collect for the sake of it if I buy something I use it .. you'd expect to pay twenty to twenty five quid for a set of these done to order but if someone wanted a standard set done exactly as they were in the old 1970's catalogues they are much cheaper ..

now original Subbuteo stuff from back in the day is like any other collectable - all sorts of ridiculous prices but you need to k

ralphpom
17-03-2014, 10:49 PM
http://i44.tinypic.com/9jkopt.jpg

This is a tournament team from last September when I managed to lose the final 1-0 to an Italian - I conceded the goal with 8 seconds left ..

The theme was the Edwardian FA Cup so I got a Green Burnley team done on the vintage figures .. my youngest has claimed these ...

Dobo played in the Blue kit 4-1 at Leeds it's on youtube the game features in a documentary about Revie .. no idea on the Rovers 92-3 kit v Forest ?!? what's the story ?

seventwo
17-03-2014, 11:04 PM
Tch all this modern stuff, what happened to the old flat cardboard cutouts? :)

ralphpom
17-03-2014, 11:15 PM
I don't have any as they tend to bend too easily .. BUT I do have a big collection of what we call cellys ... the flat plastic teams ... and a mate of mine over in Great Harwood makes modern replicas of those too

champs95
18-03-2014, 08:19 AM
http://i44.tinypic.com/9jkopt.jpg

This is a tournament team from last September when I managed to lose the final 1-0 to an Italian - I conceded the goal with 8 seconds left ..

The theme was the Edwardian FA Cup so I got a Green Burnley team done on the vintage figures .. my youngest has claimed these ...

Dobo played in the Blue kit 4-1 at Leeds it's on youtube the game features in a documentary about Revie .. no idea on the Rovers 92-3 kit v Forest ?!? what's the story ?

Thanks Ralph, this is all brilliant stuff, I really would like to see more pics. I do like your Edwardian style Burnley kit.
So I'm getting the impression, Italy seemed to be very into this game too? My folks lived out near Ancona for 10 years, and I recall seeing a few boxes at antique markets etc. I kicking myself I didn't keep my first set. The 1990 World Cup. 2 teams, Brazil & Italy.

Yeah, I've that doc on Revie (cheat) and Dobbo. I like that

ralphpom
18-03-2014, 11:53 AM
Are you on FB ? I'm struggling to get the images on to here as my computer is on it's last legs :s It's taking me ages to upload the pics to get an image code ...

I've got loads on my FB page .. my christian you've got surname Pomeroy

Feel free to add me if you like if you don't use FB I'll try again on here later ?

Italy ? yes the old style game in particular is very popular in Italy loads of clubs and a very active website I've got to know a lot of Italians through Subbuteo .. good lads.

I've got a thread running on the below link about UK/Irish grounds it has 9000 views now .. they seem to like this kind of thing over in Italy .. - view external link (oldsubbuteo.forumfree.it)

champs95
18-03-2014, 12:09 PM
Ralph, I shall find you on FB (look out for Phill adding you) I'll do it on my lunch in a while pal.
Itd be good to see all your pics.
Great stuff.

yorkyclaret
18-03-2014, 01:08 PM
Just had a look on your facebook Ralph, great stuff, love the old ground photos, wish I'd thought to photograph all my ground visits over the years.

seventwo
18-03-2014, 01:18 PM
Just had a look on your facebook Ralph, great stuff, love the old ground photos, wish I'd thought to photograph all my ground visits over the years.

Me too as few of the 80+ grounds I have visited are still there :blue: XD

champs95
18-03-2014, 01:53 PM

Me too as few of the 80+ grounds I have visited are still there :blue: XD[/quote]

I'm now at 68 grounds. Why didnt I take pics aswell!!!

ralphpom
18-03-2014, 04:13 PM
I had to pinch quite a few of the grounds pics from other folk it's only been maybe the last ten years when I've taken my camera plus facebook changed the settings so some of them don't enlarge too well so I could do with changing a few...it's quite difficult to find good colour pics of grounds as they were before the rebuilds.

champs95
18-03-2014, 05:51 PM
I had to pinch quite a few of the grounds pics from other folk it's only been maybe the last ten years when I've taken my camera plus facebook changed the settings so some of them don't enlarge too well so I could do with changing a few...it's quite difficult to find good colour pics of grounds as they were before the rebuilds.

Do you collect programmes too Ralph? I shall add you in a min or 2 on FB.

Damn work interfering with my day!!! :(

ralphpom
18-03-2014, 06:03 PM
Yes I've got a decent programme collection but again I try not to go mad with it...I've got a lot of ex-league plus my Burnley collection but since the 80's I only collect Burnley friendlies and Cup games ...modern programmes are too big to be collecting 40 odd League games every year