PDA

View Full Version : Attention Ecto - one thread or more?

Fargone
18-03-2014, 04:25 PM
I noted your comments several times regarding the need for a single thread on a single game. It seems to be a source of some irritation to you.

I'd agree that we should avoid duplication but, unless by accident (the automated match reports have regularly not appeared in recent months), I'm not sure that happening as you indicate.

Comments on a single game might be quite wideranging and diverse - report and immediate reaction of the fans, the reaction of managers, observations on crowd, weather, officials etc. I think, personally having more than one thread encourages a bit more engagement. After all, apart from off-field stuff, the individual matches are what any football club website talks about so why seek to artificially restrict discussion

But basically the main problem with the Arbroath MAD Forum is not too many threads, but too FEW. So I'd say to anyone - feel free to start a new thread on any angle or issue, or comment on an existing one.

Just a personal

ectolichtie
18-03-2014, 08:19 PM
[quote="Fargone"]I noted your comments several times regarding the need for a single thread on a single game. It seems to be a source of some irritation to you.

I'd agree that we should avoid duplication but, unless by accident (the automated match reports have regularly not appeared in recent months), I'm not sure that happening as you indicate.

Comments on a single game might be quite wideranging and diverse - report and immediate reaction of the fans, the reaction of managers, observations on crowd, weather, officials etc. I think, personally having more than one thread encourages a bit more engagement. After all, apart from off-field stuff, the individual matches are what any football club website talks about so why seek to artificially restrict discussion

But basically the main problem with the Arbroath MAD Forum is not too many threads, but too FEW. So I'd say to anyone - feel free to start a new thread on any angle or issue, or

Fargone
18-03-2014, 11:11 PM
[/quote]That's my whole point the 2 threads always end up discussing the same points[/quote]

That statement is neither answering the points made or the facts. Take the latest `double thread' - the Airdrie thread evolved into a discussion on how capable our game is at adapting to windy conditions, the So Frustrating thread (based not on a match report but the managers' reactions) evolved into a discussion of our performance over the whole season. This is always the case, even starting out with fairly similar topics, so why narrow this?

The need to generate MORE threads, not fewer, was my main point - not addressed. Constructive suggestions still welcome or postings on substance.

Bellevue
19-03-2014, 11:24 AM
I tend to agree with Fargone on this.
It may be that some contributors feel they don't have a comment about one thread but will comment on a similar thread with has a different slant.
The Airdrie and So Frustrating threads, as noted by Fargone, are good examples of this with comments about the match and the season as a whole.

ectolichtie
19-03-2014, 08:13 PM
There can be as many threads as anybody wants on any subject they want, I have no issue with that but why do we end up with 2 threads about the same game, when 1 surely should be adequate and surely all aspects of the game can be adequately discussed on a single thread, that is all my point is

Fargone
20-03-2014, 04:37 PM
.. why do we end up with 2 threads about the same game, when 1 surely should be adequate and surely all aspects of the game can be adequately discussed on a single thread..

Look's like we'll have to disagree - both myself and BV have given reasons for having more than 1.

a. Arbroath MAD is a football website and, barring occasional other major changes to the club - eg manager and players etc - matches themselves are the main deal, the real focus week-to-week

b. By confining any comment on matches to a single thread, you reduce the opportunity for some people to run with a different slant on the SAME event.

c. It's not as if there are so many other threads, that folks will get confused. The problem on these pages is NOT ENOUGH threads not too many - on different or even the same topics (but different slant).

My own view is `let a 1000 flowers bloom' but even a few would be nice.

By the way, I'd agree with your a

Lichtielegend
20-03-2014, 07:35 PM
I agree with Ecto on this one.

Plenty of times I've spent time typing out a response only to see the thread I've replied to overtaken by another one that is on the same topic and my comment is left at the end of a redundant thread.

Nonsmokingsmokie
20-03-2014, 08:58 PM
I'd like to see more threads, and more often. Sometimes days go by and nothing new and that creates a vicious cycle. There are so few now this one thread business seems a non-issue

I'm one of those to blame - i don't post very often these days. Must try harder.