PDA

View Full Version : They once played in red.

alexmick
18-03-2014, 08:17 PM
I thought I would resurrect the thread that has disappeared from trace concerning ex-Alex players.

I see that former Alex starlet, Nick Powell is back in the Wigan side tonight, following a recent injury. Perhaps we will also see him featuring in the FA Cup semi-final at Wembley. Nicky Maynard is also in the starting line up against Yeovil.

Lee Molyneux has hit the net again for Accrington tonight, to go with the hat-trick he grabbed a couple of weeks back. As it stands with Accrington beating Morecambe 2-0, Stanley are now just 8 points behind the play-offs, whereas at the start of play they were 3rd bottom.

alexmick
19-03-2014, 10:57 AM
I thought I would resurrect the thread that has disappeared from trace concerning ex-Alex players.

I see that former Alex starlet, Nick Powell is back in the Wigan side tonight, following a recent injury. Perhaps we will also see him featuring in the FA Cup semi-final at Wembley. Nicky Maynard is also in the starting line up against Yeovil.

Lee Molyneux has hit the net again for Accrington tonight, to go with the hat-trick he grabbed a couple of weeks back. As it stands with Accrington beating Morecambe 2-0, Stanley are now just 8 points behind the play-offs, whereas at the start of play they were 3rd bottom.

Molyneux ended up with a brace last night, which now puts Stanley 10 points behind the play-off positions, because Plymouth won. Nick Powell grabbed a goal and one player who was dumped by the Ice Man, Mark Carrington, scored for Wrexham. Matthew Lund scored for Rochdale and was also shown red.

alexmick
20-03-2014, 05:44 PM
Leek Town chalked up a comprehensive 5-0 victory at Rainworth Miners Welfare on Saturday, and it was pleasing to hear that Danny Shelley grabbed a goal for his team. Our own Jordan Johnson also scored his 31st goal of the season.

alexmick
20-03-2014, 07:52 PM
Leek Town chalked up a comprehensive 5-0 victory at Rainworth Miners Welfare on Saturday, and it was pleasing to hear that Danny Shelley grabbed a goal for his team. Our own Jordan Johnson also scored his 31st goal of the season.

Thanks to AstonAlex, I am sadly informed that this man does not play for us, it is in fact, Johnny Johnstone and his Bandwagon. Apologies.

alexmick
22-03-2014, 09:01 PM
Not so good that Shaun Miller grabbed the winner for rivals Shrewsbury today, although for once I was happy that the Vale beat Tranmere, with Tom Pope grabbing a goal. Donaldson was on the score sheet for Brentford, whereas Audel became a bad boy, being dismissed for Lincoln.

AstonAlex
22-03-2014, 09:18 PM
and Michael Higdon scored again for NEC Nijmegen.

NEVTHEDEV
27-03-2014, 04:47 AM
Neil Lennon,now that he has won his 9 th league cup,do you think he would be up to the challenge to manage the Alex? ;D :D

alexmick
30-03-2014, 05:18 PM
Two of our best former academy lads hit the back of the net yesterday. Powell for Wigan and Westwood for the Villa. Proves that the academy still produces the quality footballer

alexmick
31-03-2014, 04:00 PM
Two of our best former academy lads hit the back of the net yesterday. Powell for Wigan and Westwood for the Villa. Proves that the academy still produces the quality footballer

Only saw that Powell goal on a recording of the FL show last night. Just reminded me of all the brilliant goals he scored for the Alex. This lad (still only 20) doesn't do ordinary...he scores goals with quality written all over them.

alexmick
07-04-2014, 10:24 AM
Once again, Ryan Lowe was on target for Tranmere, scoring his 19th league goal of the season. This was the man who many said was past his sell-by date at L1 level. He could have done a job for us this season.

Another one that got away, did the business once again for Fleetwood on Saturday: Antoni Sarcevic. He should have been retained by Steve Davis. Perhaps his attitude was wrong at the time, but as with Grant & Inman this season, maybe Davis should have preserved with this very talented young man.

somersetcrewe
07-04-2014, 10:40 AM
... Antoni Sarcevic ... Perhaps his attitude was wrong at the time ...

If the reports are to be believed, indeed it was - he burnt his bridges. He had to go. If you don't have discipline, you're going nowhere!
Probably had ideas above his station and maybe L2 is his level anyway.

Ryan Lowe on the other hand? Well, take solace from the fact that at the time, he wasn't cutting it so he had to go - but this is one guy who has clearly improved with age! Pleased for him - if not for Tranny!! ;D

AlexLeicester
07-04-2014, 11:00 AM

If the reports are to be believed, indeed it was - he burnt his bridges. He had to go. If you don't have discipline, you're going nowhere!

Ryan Lowe on the other hand? Well, take solace from the fact that at the time, he wasn't cutting it so he had to go - but this is one guy who has clearly improved with age! Pleased for him - if not for Tranny!! ;D[/quote]

I am in total agreement with that. Sarcevic would not have been good for the Dressing Room at a time when the atmosphere has been extremely fragile.
Lowe left us when we had an abundance of strikers. His marked improvement has been since he went, and especially at MK Dons, rather than when he was an Alex player. Sometimes that is just the way the cookie crumbles.

PAULCAFC
07-04-2014, 02:41 PM
The only thing that annoys me is seeing Ryan Lowe and Pope banging them in at this level whilst our strike force is non existant! And did anyone see Tom Hitchcock`s stunning hat trick for Rotherham at the weekend after coming on as a sub?

AstonAlex
07-04-2014, 02:56 PM
And one of ours, John Johnston, bagged a hat trick for Leek over the weekend. . . and yes, it was the right Johnston this time!

alexmick
07-04-2014, 04:20 PM

Ryan Lowe on the other hand? Well, take solace from the fact that at the time, he wasn't cutting it so he had to go - but this is one guy who has clearly improved with age! Pleased for him - if not for Tranny!! ;D[/quote]

I am in total agreement with that. Sarcevic would not have been good for the Dressing Room at a time when the atmosphere has been extremely fragile.
Lowe left us when we had an abundance of strikers. His marked improvement has been since he went, and especially at MK Dons, rather than when he was an Alex player. Sometimes that is jus

somersetcrewe
07-04-2014, 05:44 PM
Disagree. Sarcevic should have been handled better by Davis, just like he did with Grant and Inman ...

But why?
For all we know, Sarcevic may have told Steve to F off whilst Grant and Inman may have been behaving like 2 petulant school kids in class.
We will probably never find out.
I for one certainly won't criticise Steve over that.

Looks like the only thing you and I agree on these days is that Crewe are the team to follow! ;D

alexmick
07-04-2014, 08:03 PM
Disagree. Sarcevic should have been handled better by Davis, just like he did with Grant and Inman ...

But why?
For all we know, Sarcevic may have told Steve to F off whilst Grant and Inman may have been behaving like 2 petulant school kids in class.
We will probably never find out.
I for one certainly won't criticise Steve over that.

Looks like the only thing you and I agree on these days is that Crewe are the team to follow! ;D[/quote]

Just my opinion. No big deal.

alexbarmy
11-04-2014, 12:36 PM
Jordan Connerton gone down under - view external link (www.evostikleague.co.uk/striker-abandons-title-bid-for-life-down-under-18970/)

alexmick
13-04-2014, 11:53 AM
Sarcevic on the score sheet again for Fleetwood, but the highlight of the day must be the brace and MOTM award for Luke Murphy of Leeds, as they finally won a game of football.

alexmick
19-04-2014, 08:04 PM
Sarcevic was on the score sheet once again for Fleetwood yesterday. Today it was the turn of Burton's captain, Lee Bell, to hammer home their third goal, which puts Hartlepool in deep trouble.

alexmick
23-04-2014, 07:30 PM
Bank Holiday Monday ex-Alex scorers:

Donaldson for Brentford, Miller for the Shrews and Lund for Rochdale.

Bankole
23-04-2014, 09:05 PM
What happened to Casper Hughes? I know he went to Nantwich but my dad went to their match against Chorley and he wansnt in the squad.

Also is Danny Shelley still at Leek? Can't help but think hes far too good for that level

number1stuartevans
24-04-2014, 11:48 AM
caspers at fylde fc i heard (from his grandad)

ChalkDust
24-04-2014, 12:06 PM
caspers at fylde fc i heard (from his grandad)

Yeah moved to Fylde from Nantwich as a replacement for Sean Cooke who went to AFC Telford but then he rejoined Fylde on loan after showing dissent to the management team.

ChalkDust
24-04-2014, 12:10 PM
Also remember Michael Higdon?

The lad is doing well in the Dutch Eredivisie League and is joint 4th in the scoring charts netting 14 goals in the league including 6 assists.

alexmick
24-04-2014, 05:07 PM
What happened to Casper Hughes? I know he went to Nantwich but my dad went to their match against Chorley and he wansnt in the squad.

Also is Danny Shelley still at Leek? Can't help but think hes far too good for that level

Shelley is still at Leek and did score for them a couple of weeks back.

alexmick
27-04-2014, 08:24 PM
Stephen Schumacher scores for Fleetwood against Southend. Fleetwood are now play-off bound, as Chesterfield today joined Rochdale & S****horpe in promotion to L1.

alexmick
28-04-2014, 09:38 AM
I forgot Michael O'Connor. Scored for Rotherham and could well be a Championship player next season.

alexmick
28-04-2014, 03:50 PM
Antoni Sarcevic (Fleetwood), Gary Roberts (Chesterfield) and Sam Winnall - Summer 2013 trialist with us (S****horpe) are all in the PFA L2 team of the season.

PAULCAFC
28-04-2014, 05:41 PM
Should have signed WINNALL, right too!;D XD

alexmick
28-04-2014, 07:06 PM
Should have signed WINNALL, right too!;D XD

I could not agree more. Many have commented on how well Scunny's top scorer has done this season. One that got away, but then again, that happens sometimes. It will be interesting to see how he copes with L1 football nest season, unless someone comes in for him. Perhaps we should make a cheeky bid for him.

alexmick
02-05-2014, 06:56 PM
Read in the press yesterday, that Wigan are prepared to pay a fee for the services of Nick Powell. I wonder if United are in such a financial mess, that they are prepared to make a loss on their investment from the Alex? Would there be a sell on fee for us?

alexmick
08-05-2014, 10:22 AM
Gary Roberts (Chesterfield) has won the L2 player of the season. He once played for us on loan from Ipswich when Steve Holland was in charge. I have always admired this player's skills.

AstonAlex
08-05-2014, 12:00 PM
A few ex-Alex being released already I see, including Chris McCready and Gibraltar's finest, Dave Artell.

Teammoo
17-05-2014, 02:22 PM
Sarcevic, Schumacher and Lee Bell all due to play in the Lg2 Play off final. So we will be at the Alexandra Stadium South again this year (even if its only by proxy) ;D

PAULCAFC
23-05-2014, 07:51 PM
Sir Ryan Lowe has signed again for Bury, 53 goals in 100 games when he was last there, good deal IMO!

alexmick
30-05-2014, 04:07 PM
Michael O'Connor has been released by Rotherham following two seasons with the Millers.

I wonder if a more mature O'Connor would fit the bill in the Alex midfield? He could be the perfect replacement for Luke Murphy, who the club have so sorely missed since his departure to Leeds. O'Connor is now back in favour with the Northern Ireland squad.

out0lunch
30-05-2014, 06:47 PM
Michael O'Connor has been released by Rotherham following two seasons with the Millers.

I wonder if a more mature O'Connor would fit the bill in the Alex midfield? He could be the perfect replacement for Luke Murphy, who the club have so sorely missed since his departure to Leeds. O'Connor is now back in favour with the Northern Ireland squad.

Potential wasted

supercrewe
02-06-2014, 11:54 AM
Seen a few posts suggesting Sarcevic should have stayed, there were things going on in his personal life at the time, that made it impossible for the club to keep him..enough said.

Good to see how he has turned things around.

His current manager even commented "how great it was that he had turned his life around" :D

lestiverton
02-06-2014, 04:34 PM
Seen a few posts suggesting Sarcevic should have stayed, there were things going on in his personal life at the time, that made it impossible for the club to keep him..enough said.

Good to see how he has turned things around.

His current manager even commented "how great it was that he had turned his life around" :D
About 3 years ago, I remember reading a comment by Chester's then manager in "The Chester Chronicle" of how Sarcevic arrived from Crewe with low confidence. Chester certainly turned him around. Whether his loss of confidence was due to work or personal problems we can only surmise.

alexmick
27-06-2014, 11:35 AM
It is reported in the Sentinel today that Ajay is set to join Yeovil. Obviously his move to Cheltenham has fallen through. We could well be seeing this young man playing at Gresty Road once again.

alexmick
04-08-2014, 04:03 PM
Time to resurrect this thread before it sinks into the ether.

Michael Higdon who played in red a very long time ago has signed for Sheffield United on a two year deal. I wonder if the 30 year old could have done a job for the Alex, or perhaps he would not have wished to return to a club where some of the fans were antagonistic towards the player?

supercrewe
04-08-2014, 04:29 PM
I dont remember any fans been abusive to him, what I do remember is him been down the pecking order behind Ashton, Varney, Lowe and Maynard.

Also most of his time with us was when we were in the Championship, interesting that his return to English football is in League one ! ;D

VindePays2009
04-08-2014, 04:30 PM
Maybe the management should have been booed and hissed, for not playing him in the way that would get the best out of him. Motherwell had no problem cottoning on to this.

Anyway, a player would come back if the moolah on offer was sufficient. But it never is, so let's not make this a question of Higgy's 'sensitivity'.

bigroof
04-08-2014, 05:20 PM
Maybe the management should have been booed and hissed, for not playing him in the way that would get the best out of him. Motherwell had no problem cottoning on to this.

Anyway, a player would come back if the moolah on offer was sufficient. But it never is, so let's not make this a question of Higgy's 'sensitivity'.

A bit harsh, VindePays. It was 'the management', i.e. Dario, who converted Higdon into a forward from the attacking midfieder of the youth team. He got some stick for that at the time, and Higdon got some stick, but he was trying - too early after his conversion - to fill the post Ashton void. Surely Dario was proved right by his later success in Scotland.

alexmick
04-08-2014, 07:17 PM
I dont remember any fans been abusive to him, what I do remember is him been down the pecking order behind Ashton, Varney, Lowe and Maynard.

Also most of his time with us was when we were in the Championship, interesting that his return to English football is in League one ! ;D

He certainly did get a lot of abuse towards the end of his spell with Crewe and perhaps that is why he decided not to renew his contract with them and move northwards. Although he was "active" at the time Lowe, Maynard and Varney were at the club, Ashton had moved on almost two and a half years prior to Higden's move away from the Alex. I reckon that he has proved himself to be a capable striker, hitting goals wherever he has played, especially the 40 he bagged in 72 appearances for Motherwell. The former Alex striker was hailed as the SPL player of the year for the 2012-13 season.

Yes, Higden is now in L1, although at the autumn of his career, ther

alexmick
05-08-2014, 08:22 PM
Junior Brown has made the long trip south from Fleetwood to Oxford United. At least he won't be lining up against us this Saturday.

AlexLeicester
09-08-2014, 11:51 AM
and Michael Higdon has just scored on his debut for Sheffield United.

Still didn't rate him at the Alex. :-D

alexmick
09-08-2014, 04:33 PM

Not many people did, although that was a long time ago, AL. The lad has now hit the back of the net at L1 level and is only partially fit.

AlexLeicester
09-08-2014, 05:27 PM

Not many people did, although that was a long time ago, AL. The lad has now hit the back of the net at L1 level and is only partially fit.[/quote]

Don't get me wrong. I wish the lad well - obviously apart from 2 games (at least) this season. He has obviously improved beyond measure ... as so many of them do. Especially when they come back as opposition. :blue:

kidsarealright
09-08-2014, 05:52 PM
Good to hear that Ajay, Kelvin and Ellis all completed 90 minutes on their debuts today.

Nantwich kick off their season next week for Phillips, Partick Thistle begin on Wednesday (I think?) for Osman. Not sure what the exact circumstances are but Byron currently out of action for Vale.

alexmick
09-08-2014, 07:49 PM
Good to hear that Ajay, Kelvin and Ellis all completed 90 minutes on their debuts today.

Nantwich kick off their season next week for Phillips, Partick Thistle begin on Wednesday (I think?) for Osman. Not sure what the exact circumstances are but Byron currently out of action for Vale.

Byron would have been playing for us today had he not have been offered an unattractive package to remain at the Alex. A one year deal meant he had no other option but to depart. I really think that Byron will be a big loss to us and a valuable asset to the Vale.

alexmick
26-08-2014, 07:35 PM
Nick Powell has resurfaced for the Reds of United. His team trail 1-0 to MK Dons in the League Cup tonight.

alexmick
10-09-2014, 08:52 AM
Pleased for Ajay as he got off the mark for Yeovil at the weekend. His first goal for the club.

alexmick
14-09-2014, 07:27 PM
Noticed that Osman scored a goal for Partick Thistle yesterday. He didn't get on the score sheet for the Alex on many occasions.

alexmick
29-09-2014, 04:30 PM
Once again I make no apology for mentioning a former Alex player who is ding very well indeed at L1 level. Higdon seems to be pretty pivotal in the success of Sheffield United this season. Useful performance for them at the weekend, coming on as a late substitute and scoring a superbly taken equalising goal against Gillingham. Pleased for the bloke. He looked a real handful.

alexmick
02-11-2014, 06:15 PM
Tom Hitchcock with yet another club, hit the winner for his latest club, Fleetwood Town.

I see that the guy who wore a red shirt at one time, albeit on the Alex training ground, grabbed yet another ***** goal for his club yesterday. Sam Winnall grabbed the winner for Barnsley against Sheffield United.

AstonAlex
02-11-2014, 06:50 PM
And, somewhat lower down the Football Pyramid, Jordan Connerton got the first 4 for Kendal in heir 6-0 hammering of the MUFC Boys Salford City yesterday!!

PAULCAFC
02-11-2014, 09:20 PM
Max missed a glorious chance after coming on as a sub at Norwich for Bolton, seen on the FL Show.

supercrewe
03-11-2014, 12:25 PM
Byron Moore possibly on the way to Hartlepool on loan, can't see that working out for either party.

alexmick
10-11-2014, 04:53 PM
A few past Alex players hit the scoring charts this weekend. Mark Ellis (Shrewsbury) and Gary Roberts (Chesterfield) in the FA Cup. That fellow who was once on trail for us hit a hat trick for Barnsley (Sam Winnall) and Max Clayton grabbed one for Bolton.

PAULCAFC
10-11-2014, 05:25 PM
And we cant get a decent goalscorer anywhere it seems, why???

alexmick
11-11-2014, 09:11 PM
I noticed tonight that Luke Rogers is now playing for Forest Green. Also at that club are Lee Hughes and Jon Parkin. I wonder if Parkin at 32 years old would have suited our frontline? Or perhaps Akinfenwa?

alexmick
22-11-2014, 06:03 PM
Now here is a player who can still score goals and is helping Brum in their quest to rise up the table. Donaldson scores the only goal against Rotherham today. He was a player who Dario allowed to leave for nothing. That is because the club were not ambitious enough (or penny foolish), to offer the man a contract early enough in his final season with us. An argument that was aired at the time he left. I know that he would not have been around now, but at least we could have capitalised on the fee we paid for him.

alexmick
09-12-2014, 06:21 PM
That man, Luke Varney hit the back of the net for Blackburn under 21s this afternoon, against the club who transformed him into a top player, the Alex.

alexmick
10-12-2014, 05:45 PM
Former Alex man, Tom Pope is unhappy with a pay cut of 45-50% if he re-signs for Vale next season.

Pope, 29, who has scored 66 goals in 177 appearances since initially joining Vale on loan in 2011, has stated that he has to consider his family at this stage of his footballing career. I would agree. Thoughts?

alexmick
31-12-2014, 07:14 PM
Lee Bell is on his way out of Burton Albion. The 31 year old has been told that he can find another club.