PDA

View Full Version : what players are needed next season?

robinrover
18-03-2014, 08:30 PM
What players do we need to make a push next season as let's be honest it's pretty unlikely we will go up this season.
I think a decent right back is needed as Henley and Kane are not up to it and a good holding midfielder as Lowe and Williamson are not up to it either apart from that we really need to put emphasis in our youth.
O Connell
Hyuga tanner
O Connor
Mahoney
It's time to bleed these players in as back up with a view to using during the season.
A good striker to challenge gestede and Rhodes wouldn't go amiss.

seventwo
18-03-2014, 08:55 PM
Let's leave those decisions to the new manager B)

AucklandRover
18-03-2014, 10:00 PM
I doubt that we will be able to keep Keane on a permanent basis, so we need experienced cover at centre-back, although Songo'o, O'Connell, O'Connor and Edwards all look promising.
I'm not sure I agree about Kane and Henley. Both are very young, and they have both had some poor matches, but look at some of the stick Hanley received in his early days. And we certainly don't seem to have had much luck with our recent attempts to buy in an EXPERIENCED right-back!!
As for the holding player in mid-field, I would say that Evans and Dabo both have the qualities to play there, and we do have Lowe, Etuhu and Williamson as cover. I know...I know O:)
I will probably get shot down for saying this, but I believe that if we have reasonable luck with injuries next season, the current squad is good enough to get us into a play-off position, provided the team is reasonably settled.
Obviously, we would need serious investment if we did somehow get promoted.

Bobcrompton1896
19-03-2014, 11:39 AM
I agree. Both Leon Best & David Goodwillie seem to have found a bit of form at new loan clubs. Perhaps we should try better with the players weve got? The backroon staff havent performed for me...this is where the manager( Bowyer or otherwise)needs to shake-up big style ;)

robinrover
19-03-2014, 02:38 PM
Following Burnleys example picking a strong 11 and sticking to it(I know they have had some luck injury wise)bowyer has tinkered this season and as a few posters have stated he is not sure of his best team.
A settled 11 reaps benefits ask Burnley and Leicester who have used minimal players and sit at the top of the tree.

AucklandRover
19-03-2014, 10:32 PM
I agree. Both Leon Best & David Goodwillie seem to have found a bit of form at new loan clubs. Perhaps we should try better with the players weve got? The backroon staff havent performed for me...this is where the manager( Bowyer or otherwise)needs to shake-up big style ;)

BC - you're right that it now becomes a matter of management, but I think there are two ways of looking at Bowyer's performance so far.
1. He has had long enough now, and he just isn't cutting it. He seems to have little idea of his best team, and his tactical control within a match is poor. In addition, some of his purchases (eg, Varney and Feeney) seem mysterious, Also, he does not seem to be a motivational figure on the touchline, and he is probably too friendly with the players. In summary, he is a nice guy and he has stabilised things, but we now need someone with experience and a bit of mongrel.
2. He took over in a very difficult situation with mora

Pooch
21-03-2014, 12:58 AM
I haven't seen enough to make a presumptions about our squad so I can't tell what exactly we need to make a push for a playoff spot (or higher) next season. I do think Henley isn't cut out for it. I've seen 3 games this season and he played in all of them. He was simply terrible!

What about Rochina? Will he be back? I'd consider using him if he can adapt his game a little more. By that I mean less fancy footwork and trying to dribble every opposing player and instead try making a pass every now and then ;)

AucklandRover
22-03-2014, 12:07 AM
I haven't seen enough to make a presumptions about our squad so I can't tell what exactly we need to make a push for a playoff spot (or higher) next season. I do think Henley isn't cut out for it. I've seen 3 games this season and he played in all of them. He was simply terrible!

What about Rochina? Will he be back? I'd consider using him if he can adapt his game a little more. By that I mean less fancy footwork and trying to dribble every opposing player and instead try making a pass every now and then ;)

I accept that Henley has looked out of his depth at times, but he was excellent in the game against Man City. Apart from goalkeeper, I think full-back is the position where mistakes show up most. All full-backs get roasted from time to time. Henley is still only 19. He doesn't have to play every game, as we also have Kane and Lowe, but I don't think he should be written off.
As for Rochina, I was also a bit disappointed to see him

Davhor
22-03-2014, 05:12 PM
Lots methinks.

robinrover
22-03-2014, 05:39 PM
Not too sure about lots on today's performance we were up against the top team and matched them.
We are just imo a flair player and a right back away from a top team in this league.
Gk Robinson
Rb need a half decent one
Cb Hanley
Cb kilgallon
Lb spurr
Lm Conway
Cm cairney
Cm Evans
Rm Marshall
Am Dunn or a decent flair player
Fw Rhodes
Now for me that is a top team add a few back up players and get rid of a bit more dross and its play offs minimum.