PDA

View Full Version : Lionel Ainsworth

dasdeid
20-03-2014, 09:08 AM
An excellent first half strike but suddenly went AWOL .. particularly 2nd half.
Perhaps starved of the ball and IMO a threat down wing only occurred when Angol came on late 2nd half.
Ainsworth has the pace but rarely do we see him run at/past defenders.
His goal tally impressive but think could contribute more with his abilities.

Gowboy
20-03-2014, 11:07 AM
For someone who had a very stop/start career before he came to FP he has exceeded my expectations of what I thought of him when he was signed. He could do with a bit more consistency in attack, you are right, but overall I am very pleased with him and would be happy to have him join us next season, budget permitting and assuming he wanted to stay.
His goal tally so far is pretty impressive for a winger and I was trying to think who we have had who played on the wing and a good scoring rate. Davy Cooper, of course, although a fair number of his goals were penalties or free kicks. Brain Heron sticks out I my mind as the most potent scoring winger I have seen (or can remember!).
Any other suggestions?

wellowell
20-03-2014, 11:46 AM
Ainsworth is doing great going forward but in certain games as in last night he is very lazy. He let the full back go by him on numerous occasions last night and never tracked him but if he keeps scoring every week i can forgive this sometimes

Handsome_Devil
20-03-2014, 02:13 PM
Cooper actually scored only one free kick for us. Remarkably!

For scoring wingers, I guess Murphy and Foran would be up there.

As for Ainsworth, he has flaws but as said already, given his previously inconsistent record I can live with some defensive weakness in exchange for his current attacking stats.

If he keeps up this form for another couple of months, we will miss him when he's not here next season!

Can only hope that after such a stop-start career he prefers to consolidate for a year rather than chasing the first big offer but we know how that usually turns out!

Gowboy
20-03-2014, 03:49 PM
Wow - that's a surprising stat. My memory says Coop scored more free kicks than just one - where do you get that figure from?
Murphy - could go with him. Not sure I class him as a pure winger (Pat Nevin, Chris Humphrey, Billy Campbell and, of course, Johnny G - they were wingers). But Foran - you're kidding? A winger - liked the guy but he was never a winger!

wellowell
20-03-2014, 04:53 PM
Foran certainly not a winger now could not believe how deep he played last night was just in front of defence most of night

Handsome_Devil
20-03-2014, 06:53 PM
Not a true winger fair enough, but we papped him out on the flank often enough his scoring record deserves credit.

Cooper scored a free kick against Rangers when we lost 4-2 in 1990. Pretty sure that's the only one though obviously stand corrected. Goal below: - view external link (www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbQKjkhjCI0)