PDA

View Full Version : You are my sunshine

bostonblue68
21-03-2014, 12:59 AM
A question for the old timers on this board concerning our club song, YAMS.

When was it first used as the club song and who can recall how far back they recall hearing it being sung at Latics games? - view external link (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywCzbGqUg2A)

lincolnlatic
21-03-2014, 05:27 PM
it has been sung at Latics for as long as I can remember so just before the league years for my personal memories. I believe when we played port vale in the cup (at old trafford IIRC) their fans were singing it and we stole it and have been singing it ever since

bostonblue68
21-03-2014, 07:00 PM
I have recently been researching the history of WAFC and in doing so was intrigued to know more about You are my sunshine.

I have discovered that WAFC were formed in 1932 and played their first game against Port Vale reserves. The song You are my sunshine was composed by Robert Oliver Hood, of Georgia, USA. He was a music teacher and wrote the 20 verse song on the back of a brown paper bag. He first sang it in 1933 at a Veterans convention playing his mandolin to it. It is believed he composed the song just prior to this so more than likely 1932. He never got copyright and hence was never truly recognised or financially rewarded for this song.

keithwafc7
21-03-2014, 08:30 PM
Hi
I was at the home game ofthat cup run ,plenty of crowd problems i recall,but do nt remember this song being song till Early FL days.Larry Lloyd years.
Old age now could be wrong.