PDA

View Full Version : The Worst Towns/Cities You've Ever Visited ?

Arran007
22-03-2014, 01:21 AM
With work I've got around the UK a bit, so these are the one's that I'd put in my top-ten hell-holes:

Port Talbot
Coventry
Boston
Bradford
Rotherham
Barnsley
Hull
Wrexham
Ipswich
Watford

yubbywelch
22-03-2014, 03:09 AM
Sydney

NuclearDevice
22-03-2014, 06:46 AM
Luton
Port Talbot
Parts of London, especially south of the river, places like Deptford, Tottenham, Streatham.
Croydon
Rhyl
L8 - don't know what it's like these days, but Toxteth in the 80's/90's wasn't pleasant
Hull
Runcorn
Weston Super mare.

Never been there but I imagine parts of the north east are awful - Hartlepool, Middlesborough and S****horpe spring to mind.

And outside the UK, I must add Usti Nad Labem in the Czech Republic. Like Runcorn, but worse.

MissWinnie
22-03-2014, 10:53 AM
Hull
Doncaster
Bracknell

Yubby, what is it you don't like about Sydney?

NuclearDevice
22-03-2014, 03:48 PM
Winnie

Bracknell - great call. Horrible town centre, encased in a crappy ring road. What were those new town planners thinking of ?

Exiledvillan
22-03-2014, 05:48 PM
We're on about Towns n Cities not the locals yeah ?
Throw a blanket over South Welsh and Scottish towns
Stockton on Tees
Middlesbrough
Hartlepool
Hull
Cleethorpes
Grimsby. (if ever a suited it more)
The Black Country (see above)
Liverpool
Swindon
Derby
London
Dover
Ramsgate
Gillingham
Folkestone

Somebody stop me XD .

yubbywelch
23-03-2014, 12:04 PM
Sydney is the worst city in Australia I have visited.

Hole.

MissWinnie
23-03-2014, 06:23 PM
Winnie

Bracknell - great call. Horrible town centre, encased in a crappy ring road. What were those new town planners thinking of ?

Absolutely, Nuc. It's almost like they sat down and thought how not to design a town, and then built it to that spec! Totally soul less, and as for navigating those roundabouts! Aaagh! Not designed for pedestrians either with all those spooky subways.

MissWinnie
23-03-2014, 06:34 PM
Sydney is the worst city in Australia I have visited.

Hole.

Yes, that harbour is just the pits Yubby. :P :D

It's more built up and conjested than the other Aussie cities that I've been to, but I think the stunning harbour more than makes up for it. Quite characterful too.

Canberra would be my least favourite Aussie city (that I've visited) Not because there is anything wrong with it per se - just really bland.

littlemissvillain
23-03-2014, 09:43 PM
Swindon
Aylesbury
Bracknell
London
Bradford

And not a fan of Leeds tbh...

bongosdad
24-03-2014, 12:52 AM
Luton
Port Talbot
Parts of London, especially south of the river, places like Deptford, Tottenham, Streatham.
Croydon
Rhyl
L8 - don't know what it's like these days, but Toxteth in the 80's/90's wasn't pleasant
Hull
Runcorn
Weston Super mare.

Never been there but I imagine parts of the north east are awful - Hartlepool, Middlesborough and S****horpe spring to mind.

And outside the UK, I must add Usti Nad Labem in the Czech Republic. Like Runcorn, but worse.

Interesting pick Nuclear with Port talbot. Its known as Port toilet in Swansea. I do agree but the beach is nice and at night the steel works looks kind of space age.

Its a bit like having a nice beach in the middle of newtown. Very odd place.

My pick would be

Southend
Coventry
Most of Birmingham is horrible but makes up for it with nice people.

NuclearDevice
24-03-2014, 06:53 AM
As no-one else has yet mentioned it, I will.

Slough.

How can we all have missed that gem off the list. ;D

LMV - Aylesbury's a bit harsh. Its done a lot over the years to improve the center. All they have to do now is knock down the 30 storey concrete council office monstrosity that looms over the town and casts a shadow over the whole of Bucks and they make it on to the "it's an OK place to live" list.

stateside
24-03-2014, 11:14 PM
Manchester near Maine Rd, Citeh's old haunt
Stoke
Brighton
Chester (all mud)
Cardiff
Tampa
Savannah

littlemissvillain
25-03-2014, 08:19 AM
Nuc,
The problem I have with Aylesbury is the road system. It's just a horrible place to drive through.
I have to go through it regularly and it drives me insane!!!!

A lot of my colleagues lice there and they agree its come a long way since its: development (even has a Waitrose now so it must be cool) but I still hate the place with a passion.

L x

NuclearDevice
25-03-2014, 04:40 PM
It depends where you're heading but from MK you come from Wing to Bierton and cut cut through to A41 if you're going South Eastish.
But I know what a mare it can be in the mornings as all roads in and out of tbere tend to go through the town causing gridlock. No fun at all.

littlemissvillain
27-03-2014, 11:48 PM
Nuc,

I work in Tring - and often need to head to oxford...
To avoid Aylesbury I tend to go the back way to Thame m40 and that way...

I have a new place for my list - Newbury... The road signs and lane layout is shockingly bad...

L x

yubbywelch
28-03-2014, 12:41 AM
A lot of my colleagues lice there and they agree its come a long way since its: development (even has a Waitrose now so it must be cool) but I still hate the place with a passion.

L x[/quote]

I hate licing away from home.

:)

NuclearDevice
28-03-2014, 10:16 PM
Nuc,

I work in Tring - and often need to head to oxford...
To avoid Aylesbury I tend to go the back way to Thame m40 and that way...

I have a new place for my list - Newbury... The road signs and lane layout is shockingly bad...

L x

Oxford will be a fun journey once they start wasting billions on HS2 :blue: , and close roads, & build new ones around Wendover, Stoke Mande**** and Stone :/ :/ That'll be commuting hell. Then again, Aren't they supposed to building an MK - Oxford rail link ? :)

Used to live & work in Aylesbury, and disliked the place with a vengeance. That said when I was a kid the best venue around was Friars (now bulldozed) where all the best punk/alternative bands used to come and play in part due to the promoter's contacts. Travelled up there a lot & saw some great gigs there :D .

NuclearDevice
28-03-2014, 10:18 PM
Cant believe V I L L E of Mandeville gets blocked :blue: . C'mon mods surely time to allow use of good English town'ss again.