PDA

View Full Version : Dundee

JRSLEFTPEG
22-03-2014, 10:34 PM
Hopefully a bit more chat about this game than the last one . We will have to play better on Tues than today to get a result . Durnan ( possibly) back and Paton fit gives us a boost . Go get em lads , give em hell !

sneddee
23-03-2014, 12:33 AM
XD XD XD

Auld_Chippy
23-03-2014, 01:11 AM
Hopefully a bit more chat about this game than the last one . We will have to play better on Tues than today to get a result . Durnan ( possibly) back and Paton fit gives us a boost . Go get em lads , give em hell !

Must say I've noticed less chat about games recently, maybe because we're doing better now and the Manager is getting less stick, and I include myself as one of his early season critics.
Away game against the leaders will be tough, defensively we are looking solid but we wont get as many scoring opportunities as in the last two games so we have to make sure that we take what chances we do get. Close game, score draw.

MCMXIX
23-03-2014, 10:23 AM
The players should be fresh after last nights Paul Burns testimonial dinner as the manager had them on a strict no alcohol ban because of Tuesdays game ( if the rumours are true :/

Palmyman
23-03-2014, 11:22 AM
We will have to far more ruthless in front of goal if the chances come along up at Dens Park than we were against the Blue Brazil

Katboy31
23-03-2014, 05:43 PM
A difficult away trip to Dundee coming up, I will gladly take a point from this one. In order to take anything from this match though we will have to be an awful lot more ruthless than we were yesterday.

Northfield53
23-03-2014, 06:02 PM
I would start with Paton and Lyle.
Russell and McHugh would drop out.
Would be happy with a point.
We will have to play a lot better that on Sat to get anything.

JRSLEFTPEG
23-03-2014, 09:22 PM
Lyle continues to impress in his cameo appearances. His introduction has instantly changed games this season . Watch him when he comes on. He is desperate to get on the ball straight away and his brain , clever flicks and touches set up numerous chances for us. Yes, I am a big fan of Del's will to win and ability BUT unfortunately he is more effective for thirty rather than ninety minutes these days . Would like to be wrong but not on the evidence seen this season and would probably start McHugh instead . Anyway , enough of that . We have a team capable of giving Dundee more than a few problems .

Cresswell
26-03-2014, 09:46 AM
Let's put our situation in perspective. We have now played Dundee four times, losing three and winning one (the very first game of the season): we've played Hamilton four times, losing three times and drawing once: and we've played Falkirk three times, losing twice and winning once. ie We have taken seven points from a possible thirty-three against the teams immediately above us. Not a very impressive record.
Last night's game never really looked like reversing that trend. Yes, we competed well in a fairly even first half but did not at any time seriously threaten to score - a few long range shots saved very comfortably by Letheren.
Neither did Dundee make many clear cut chances, except early in the game when Zander made an excellent stop. However, Dundee's pace up front, with Boyle particularly prominent, caused us problems at the back all night. In fact, Gavin Rae excepted, Dundee were a yard faster, in some cases two or three yards faster, all over the pitch. It looked to me very m

rjc_1988
26-03-2014, 10:54 AM
It is hard to argue with Cresswell's top 3 stats but the reality is that we have very seldom if ever been seriously outplayed by any of the top 3. The 3-1 away defeat at Hamilton the possible exception.

Last night followed a very familiar pattern. The team was well organised and difficult to beat. We were certainly the better side by some distance in the first half although Dundee got a big lift from their goal.

I agree that despite having countless corners (delivered brilliantly again by Mitchell) and a high number of shots on target there wasn't a sense that a goal was coming.

Players gave everything - I think it is extremely harsh to say that Dundee looked full time and us part time...I think that is making Dundee sound a lot better than they actually were in reality!!The Dundee fans that I spoke to on leaving the ground thought that we were robbed on the night!

While it probably wouldn't have affected the result I was annoyed to see Holt dropped. To win these tough away matche

nithvalley
26-03-2014, 12:02 PM
We are missing our 2 most effective midfielders in McKenna and Young at the moment.

Having 1 unavailable we would cope with but both of them is more challenging.

Given the result, it wouldn't have mattered which defender was left out last night - the selection would still have attracted criticism.

How fortunate we are to have so many good ones to choose from.

The race for 4th will be very close and probably go until the last couple of matches.

We still have Dumbarton and Livingston to play and they will be saying the same thing.

Even if we just miss out on the play-offs I would still regard it as a decent performance for the season - the margins in this Division are very fine indeed.

If we do make it, that would add some excitement and income but I don't think we would progress to meet the Premiership side.

Dariusz
26-03-2014, 12:18 PM
I think the main thing this season always was survival. Knowing that we will have Rangers & Hearts in our league next season meant that relegation would have been a disaster. After a dodgy start to the season Jim McIntyre and the squad have come good and finishing in the top half of the league looks highly likely. A play off spot is a bonus but looking very achievable.

I think things are going really well and am looking forward to the rest of the season and next season hopefully with much of the same personnel including the manager.

MCMXIX
26-03-2014, 01:40 PM
Was hearing reports of over the top stewarding yet again at Dens last night .

Aren't football grounds supposed to be welcoming places ?

Shouldn't all football clubs be going out their way to encourage fans through the gates ?

:(

Palmyman
26-03-2014, 05:07 PM
Going back over quite a few seasons for some reason the stewards / police have always seemed a bit heavy - handed up at Dens. Think I am correct in saying it even prompted our MP to
go and sit amongst the Doonhamer fans at one game - needless to say the stewards / police knew he was coming and there was none of the
usual hassle.

KevinQOS
26-03-2014, 05:27 PM
stewards at Dundee need to be reported. man handling a 17 year old boy because he told them that manners cost nothing resulting him being kicked out of the stadium and left outside for the last 30 mins of the game

rjc_1988
26-03-2014, 06:24 PM
I must admit that I disagree on the subject of staying up. With the depth of squad that we have I still feel that failure to get a Play Off spot will represent a very disappointing outcome indeed.Yes there is the consolation prize of Rangers and Hearts but we should not be looking at things from that perspective.

We must have the strongest bench every week in this League - last night we had Holt, McKenna, Carmichael, McHugh, Kidd, Russell as subs - Kevin, Derek Young,Pat Slattery didnt even make the bench. Make no mistake for this level of football we have a very decent squad and failure to stay up would represent massive under achievement.

I dont think we are punching our full weight given the players at our disposal but only my opinion.

blazerman
26-03-2014, 07:30 PM
First time I have posted on here for a while but feel duty bound regarding the disgusting treatment the young Queens fans received from the Dens park stewards.
Incident one On approaching the turnstyles I witnessed about 15 young Queens fans who support the club home and away been searched from top to bottom and even forced to remove jackets and jumpers before entering the ground.When I eventually reached the front of the queue I expected the same treatment as surely it should be the same rule for all but to my surprise I was ushered straight through the turnstyle.
Incident 2 throughout the match 3 to 4 stewards stood behind the youngsters intimidating and harassing them all game and eventually throwing one young lad out due to constantly jumping up supporting his team.I pointed out that the Dundee sections were constantly standing and jumping up and supporting their team but was given a load of tripe about the rules being different in the away section.
Having being involved in a meet

riverbank
26-03-2014, 07:57 PM
What must Young/Slattery/and Kev be thinking
when Kerr and a half fit McKenna keeps them from getting a place on the bench at Dundee

fifesupport
26-03-2014, 09:23 PM
I was fairly unaware of why the stewards waded in at last nights game but that is probably because there was no reason to do so.

Dundee Derry boys were standing and singing when their team were striding forward, are Doonhammers not allowed to respond in kind ?

What a sad state of affairs when a youngester is ejected for supporting his team, can QoS make a formal complaint to Police Scotland ?

Team gave their all last night and can't be faulted for effort, however disappointing when we have 3 central defenders playing to lose a set piece goal. Pace a problem last night and Dundee nearly made us pay. Young Holt has that pace so why was he standing watching from the sidelines ?

Auld_Chippy
26-03-2014, 09:49 PM
To use the old cliche, this was a game of two halves for me. 1st half Dundee were lumping the ball forward route 1 which was meat and drink for Dowie and Durnan who mopped everything up and the home support were getting quite frustrated. Queens were creating quite a few scoring chances but were left to rue not taking at least one of them. 2nd half Dundee caused far more problems playing the ball on the deck and using a bit of width. Maybe being a bit critical of Zander Clark at the goal but when the ball travels quite a distance from the free-kick and the Dundee man heads in from 8 yards out I thought the keeper could have come and tried to deal with it, even punching it away. I was at the opposite end so maybe criticism is unfair, maybe the marking defender could have done better. Kerr was a big disappointment for me and it was surprising he didn't get hooked instead of Paton. The introduction of Carmichael , Russell and McHugh certainly provided a strong finish to the game but those

jzee
26-03-2014, 11:03 PM
On arrival at dens last night I was astonished at the ****ager in front of me getting a full body frisk by the steward, me arriving next entered with my son without being questioned .Have never seen this before at a scottish game, as game progressed as Dundee scored stewards ejected queens fan despite protestations of travel club stalwarts. Considering the number of queens fans present and the generally good behaviour of our fans it is disgraceful that paying customers are treated in such a poor way.
Football is meant to be a an entertainment business and customers are being driven away by being treated like vermin for daring to create an atmosphere . As others have stated old firm fans would not be treated in this way. I have seen unacceptable behaviour over the years but nobody appeared out of order at all last night and it was like the underemployed jobsworths wanted to appear in control.

jzee
26-03-2014, 11:23 PM
On the actual football last night there was little between the teams again. Dundee are not great shakes and Boyle's pace was there main threat. We definitely were the better team first half but Dundee pressed us second half and controlled the midfield for a long period.
Our team is well organised and defence is pretty sound now , Durnan is as good as any defender in the league and his hobbling at the end last night is a major concern. Holt would be my choice at left back. Our biggest problem is a lack of pace in midfield and attack which generally means teams know we are not going to get in behind them and end up defending with a high line ,last season Nicky Clark's pace and playing with more width stretched the opposition giving central players more space and the option of runners who could outpace defenders. Appreciate opposition now is better but this I feel is our main shortcoming and all recent additions have not really given us any new options.

GB72
27-03-2014, 10:46 AM
[quote="blazerman"]First time I have posted on here for a while but feel duty bound regarding the disgusting treatment the young Queens fans received from the Dens park stewards.
Incident one On approaching the turnstyles I witnessed about 15 young Queens fans who support the club home and away been searched from top to bottom and even forced to remove jackets and jumpers before entering the ground.When I eventually reached the front of the queue I expected the same treatment as surely it should be the same rule for all but to my surprise I was ushered straight through the turnstyle.
Incident 2 throughout the match 3 to 4 stewards stood behind the youngsters intimidating and harassing them all game and eventually throwing one young lad out due to constantly jumping up supporting his team.I pointed out that the Dundee sections were constantly standing and jumping up and supporting their team but was given a load of tripe about the rules being different in th

Dariusz
27-03-2014, 12:24 PM
I must admit that I disagree on the subject of staying up. With the depth of squad that we have I still feel that failure to get a Play Off spot will represent a very disappointing outcome indeed. Yes there is the consolation prize of Rangers and Hearts but we should not be looking at things from that perspective.

We must have the strongest bench every week in this League - last night we had Holt, McKenna, Carmichael, McHugh, Kidd, Russell as subs - Kevin, Derek Young,Pat Slattery didn't even make the bench. Make no mistake for this level of football we have a very decent squad and failure to stay up would represent massive under achievement.

I don't think we are punching our full weight given the players at our disposal but only my opinion.

I hear what you say, but given the fact at the end of last season we lost our manager, top scorer and an excellent goalkeeper, who we have struggled to replace, I don't think we've done too b

rjc_1988
27-03-2014, 01:32 PM
Everybody has their own view on things but I feel as though we have potentially missed a big opportunity this year. I don't think we should be so many points behind a Dundee side that look little better than us and our failure to sign a solid keeper to replace Robinson was a big blunder and cost us a lot of points early on.

Personally I think our club and supporters suffer from a slight lack of ambition. It is almost as if QOS has a place in the pecking order and we should not stray too far from that. I think the current Board are ambitious and I think they would not see mid table as a good outcome this year.

Ross county have bucked the trend and with a bit more belief and better backing from the Dumfries public we have the capability to do likewise.

thegen65
27-03-2014, 01:37 PM
stewards at Dundee need to be reported. man handling a 17 year old boy because he told them that manners cost nothing resulting him being kicked out of the stadium and left outside for the last 30 mins of the game

All right lads Dundee fan here, very disappointed to hear that once again you lads have encountered heavy handed and over the top stewarding at Dens.

Firstly the stewards should not be man handling anyone, they have no legal right whatsoever to lay a finger on any fan unless they are licensed stewards and have completed the relevant training and recieved the proper and official licencing board accreditation which they must then display on their person in a form of a badge with their photo on etc etc.

Even then they can only remove a person by the ground by handling them if the person refuses to leave after being asked,and even then it must not be done by excesssive force if the person is not resisting etc etc.

Any stew

QOS_MAD_ADMIN
27-03-2014, 01:40 PM
Everybody has their own view on things but I feel as though we have potentially missed a big opportunity this year. I don't think we should be so many points behind a Dundee side that look little better than us and our failure to sign a solid keeper to replace Robinson was a big blunder and cost us a lot of points early on.

Personally I think our club and supporters suffer from a slight lack of ambition. It is almost as if QOS has a place in the pecking order and we should not stray too far from that. I think the current Board are ambitious and I think they would not see mid table as a good outcome this year.

Ross county have bucked the trend and with a bit more belief and better backing from the Dumfries public we have the capability to do likewise.

County also have been bankrolled by a wealthy businessman and had their Academy financed by the Highlands Council ..

B)

arrol1919
27-03-2014, 02:06 PM

All right lads Dundee fan here, very disappointed to hear that once again you lads have encountered heavy handed and over the top stewarding at Dens.

Firstly the stewards should not be man handling anyone, they have no legal right whatsoever to lay a finger on any fan unless they are licensed stewards and have completed the relevant training and recieved the proper and official licencing board accreditation which they must then display on their person in a form of a badge with their photo on etc etc.

Even then they can only remove a person by the ground by handling them if the person refuses to leave after being asked,and even then it must not be done by excesssive force if

mainstandman59
27-03-2014, 07:51 PM
On arrival at dens last night I was astonished at the ****ager in front of me getting a full body frisk by the steward, me arriving next entered with my son without being questioned .Have never seen this before at a scottish game, as game progressed as Dundee scored stewards ejected queens fan despite protestations of travel club stalwarts. Considering the number of queens fans present and the generally good behaviour of our fans it is disgraceful that paying customers are treated in such a poor way.
Football is meant to be a an entertainment business and customers are being driven away by being treated like vermin for daring to create an atmosphere . As others have stated old firm fans would not be treated in this way. I have seen unacceptable behaviour over the years but nobody appeared out of order at all last night and it was like the underemployed jobsworths wanted to appear in control.
Just like to add that it wasn't just 'youngs