PDA

View Full Version : Allardyce v the Golem

palerider
23-03-2014, 08:19 AM
The defining game in our relegation season under the Golem was at home to Man.Utd. We went 2-0 up before a Rooney-inspired United came back to win 4-2. The referee was Lee Mason. We'd actually been on a good run up until then with wins over Liverpool and Stoke and a draw at Spurs. After that we fell apart.

So the similarities are worrying.

I was never convinced we'd turned the corner with our five-game run. The only game we were comfortable was the one in which Carroll was sent off. Swansea were that bad. And Swansea should also be worried as they've won 1 in 9. The difference is they look dangerous going forward. In the other games, after Villa woke up they battered us but we rode our luck. Chelsea battered us, it was a 1 in a 100 result. Norwich and Southampton outplayed us for 90 minutes. Yes, Norwich ffs. How we won both of those is beyond me.

So having once said that Allardyce was a better manager than the Golem, I'm wavering, because the garbage last night, against a very be

herbiehammer
23-03-2014, 09:40 AM
My hatred for the BFC is well documented but on this occasion there was not much he or any of the players could of done to stop those goals.
Keeper was way of his line and Rooney took advantage, good goal.
Noble made a poor clearance straight in to the path of Rooney
2-0 and job jobbed.

No plan B but I dont think he went there for the draw, he went for the 3 points if you ask me but all this long ball up to Carrol is old hat and so predictable

bonzosbest74
23-03-2014, 11:39 AM
I think the play-off win and last seasons 10th place finish makes Allardyce the better manager but even the most incompetent would look good when placed alongside Grant.

Avram would have kept us up quite easily if he'd have played Demba Ba up front rather than left wing and given Diamante a free role behind. The silly thing is that Ba was scoring loads of goals up front just after he signed so why he was put on the left is beyond me (was it Fat Benni Mac who took his place as striker?).

I don't think the majority of West Ham fans will remember Sam fondly but there will always be the odd few who offer mitigation for him.

Dailly___7
23-03-2014, 03:15 PM
We were in a far worse position after that Man Utd game if I remember rightly. The way we lost blew our confidence to pieces and we never recovered. I don't believe in bad omens and hope I'm right :s

I'd rather have Grant than BFS to be honest. As bad as Grant was, the football was nowhere near as poor as it is now. We were crap under Grant and we're crap under Allardyce but a bit better crap. But at least under Grant we tried to play some football and even had a go at the cups. It's like choosing between eating dog sh1t and cat sh1t though in all honesty.

Bonzo

We didn't have Diamanti in the Grant season...

JimmyV66
23-03-2014, 03:40 PM
Grant over Allardyce everytime.

He at least tried to play an attacking game and he at least set out to win every game.

He also paid great respect to both cup competetions.

We may have got relegated and our defence was shocking but you never really knew what was going to happen and i still had that beleive every game.

Also like many other West Ham teams before we scored some stunning goals, some real worldies.

How many stunning goals have we scored duing the Allardyce era. How many times have we been left stunned thinking did we really just score a goal as good as that, wow!!

How many 25,30,35 yard screamers?
How many outside the box curling efforts?
How many quick passing team goals?
How many over the wall free-kicks?

How many times have you left the ground (home or away) and all you can talk about is "that goal we scored"

Can you even imagine us scoring a goal under Allardyce like the Di Canio volly, the Anton chest down, turn and volly, the quick passing one two's and Cole f

bonzosbest74
23-03-2014, 04:20 PM
Bonzo

What sort of an excuse is that? XD

I was right though, he definitely wasn't playing behind the front man was he? >:(

dagenhamJohn
23-03-2014, 04:27 PM
Bonzo

I was right though, he definitely wasn't playing behind the front man was he? >:([/quote]Zola brought the Diamond man to UP, sorry Boleyn Ground ;D

the Italian Connection :D

Hammer4life
23-03-2014, 04:49 PM
Neither. Both are inept in different ways. We were spineless under Grant but played ball. Allardyce teams will fight but can't string two passes together. Both have darkened the doorstep of The Boleyn. Maybe Allardyce will prove over time to have been a necessary evil?

Of all our failed managers i'd take Zola back but that's not exactly a wish!

JimmyV66
23-03-2014, 05:06 PM
Adding to my above post.

Under Sam in the prem we have yet to come from behind to win an away game. Have only come from behind to grab a draw just once away from home.

Have never had a 2-2 or 3-3 away draw. Never had a 3-2 win or defeat away. Never had a penalty away from home.

All things and scorelines that happen week in week out away from home.

Dailly___7
23-03-2014, 06:49 PM
Bonzo

I was right though, he definitely wasn't playing behind the front man was he? >:([/quote]

You were right! I was just defending Allardyce, as usual XD

At the risk of sounding like I'm defending him further, I CAN think of a world class goal we've scored under him. But I'll even it out by giving praise to Morrison ;D . Ravel's goal at SHL could certainly be classed as a Goal of the Season contender. Very memorable to me B)

Agree that I'd take Zola over both Grant and Allardyce, but that's not saying much. We seem to be getting an even worse manager every time. Surely not? :/

terrya1965
23-03-2014, 10:37 PM
[quote="JimmyV66"]Grant over Allardyce everytime.

He at least tried to play an attacking game and he at least set out to win every game.

He also paid great respect to both cup competetions.

We may have got relegated and our defence was shocking but you never really knew what was going to happen and i still had that beleive every game.

Also like many other West Ham teams before we scored some stunning goals, some real worldies.

How many stunning goals have we scored duing the Allardyce era. How many times have we been left stunned thinking did we really just score a goal as good as that, wow!!

How many 25,30,35 yard screamers?
How many outside the box curling efforts?
How many quick passing team goals?
How many over the wall free-kicks?

How many times have you left the ground (home or away) and all you can talk about is "that goal we scored"

Can you even imagine us scoring a goal under Allardyce like the Di Canio volly, the Anton chest down, turn and