PDA

View Full Version : Oldham AFC Trial

TwiceInABlueMoon
23-03-2014, 04:28 PM
I noticed that Oldham are trialling new things at Boundary Park to try and improve the atmosphere (see link below). They are asking fans to relocate to different stands so that people are closer together and therefore can create more noise. Similar effect to Alex away games (e.g. Walsall, Tranmere, Vale compared with Stevenage or Wycombe). The tighter fans are packed in, the better the noise levels.

I personally think it's a great idea and something that the Alex should potentially be looking to do. We all know that the GRE is dire these days, with us barely pushing 200 people in there at times. The Main Stand has always been a wet fish, apart from on big games. As for the Railway End - no idea why the club persist on sticking the freebies in there. Surely they would be better plonked in the Main Stand, where at least there is a little bit of atmosphere and a decent view? Not isolated in the poxy stand, away from everyone.

I know people have talked for a long time about slightly redu

Alexmaverick
23-03-2014, 05:08 PM
Knock a couple of quid off the GRE price by all means.Gotta be worth looking at,but the main stands fine,yes there are empty seats but it's a fairly big stand.And not keen on your idea of pushing everyone in the main stand together.They're fairly pushed together as it is,towards the middle,so leave that be I say.

AstonAlex
23-03-2014, 05:44 PM
I think the general thrust of the proposal which is looking at the configuration of how fans are situated in the ground is a good one. I have been fortunate in that nobody around where I sit (in the Main Stand) gets on my nerves, but it is a worry at the start of each season, particularly as there are so many empty seats around and I sit on Row F!

It is true that the closer the crowd is to each other the better the atmosphere, but I wonder if it would be better if, rather than close a third of the stand close to the Railway End, the club closed the top 10 or 20 rows, compressing the crowd closer to the pitch and keeping the desired effect of upping the atmosphere.

We really should be looking at selling the odd game as a tenner with a free programme (or even a fiver without) for admission. Season ticket holders may moan, but if it gets 500 more through the gate the first time, what's the problem?

MikeSB
23-03-2014, 06:50 PM
I would suggest the home fans are given the ice cream van stand as that in some ways is the best one for atmosphere and view of the match and players who are very close and must improve the enjoyment of the game for both fans and players. OK it means the away fans are put at each end of the goal or one section of the main stand and also it has the added benefit of getting more away fans in the ground in big games eg Wolves etc. The atmosphere in the big stand is terrible most matches and too many old fogies in there...Also the above suggestion means they can sit in their wheelchairs including Dario...;)

It must be possible to have a barrier and stewards policing it.

I am always jealous when I see the popular side full...;)

They should definitely reduce the prices at the GR end anyway.

Alexmaverick
23-03-2014, 07:18 PM
I would suggest the home fans are given the ice cream van stand as that in some ways is the best one for atmosphere and view of the match and players who are very close and must improve the enjoyment of the game for both fans and players. OK it means the away fans are put at each end of the goal or one section of the main stand and also it has the added benefit of getting more away fans in the ground in big games eg Wolves etc. The atmosphere in the big stand is terrible most matches and too many old fogies in there...Also the above suggestion means they can sit in their wheelchairs including Dario...;)

No way must the GRE be given to the away fans.Having the visitors at both ends would be terrible and far worse than the present situation.
Anyway,as

MikeSB
23-03-2014, 08:14 PM
I was brought up watching football without fans being segregated at all and its a sad day when we have to separate them in order to do what exactly? Stop them killing each other? Have the human race progressed that we now have to?

Not sure if segregation came in after the Taylor report or some other one but Hillboro was not the result of fans not being segregated was it?

Away fans could still be housed in one section of the main stand anyway if they had to but I'm sure that each end would be almost empty if we were given the popular side and so what are we fearful of if away fans did have them? Intimidation or injury to the GK?

Just watching the lower league matches on the FL show and there are really vast areas of seats unoccupied and so its obvious that something is keeping the fans away? Cost must be one of them?

I note that Mourino has suggested that the PL matches that are played at a lunch time on the Saturday should be played on a Friday Night.

I have always thought the l

Alexmaverick
23-03-2014, 08:38 PM
Segregation began to be introduced in the mid to late 70's,way before the Taylor report.
I always think its good to keep rival fans not too far apart-within missile throwing range.I'm thinking the odd half eaten pie,that kind of thing.Such activity,although frowned upon officially,helps fire up the atmosphere.
Modern all-seater grounds can often look emptier than their mostly terraced predecessors of yesteryear brcause rows of empty seats are more obviously noticeable,even though there may,infact,be a healthy crowd In attendance.

PAULCAFC
23-03-2014, 09:11 PM
There's no atmosphere in the big empty stand so let's all move!

TwiceInABlueMoon
24-03-2014, 06:50 PM
It's clear, from this thread alone, that there is interest in trying new things at Gresty Road. I think we're all agreed that the atmosphere needs improving.

I think any effort increase attendance in the GRE is good. Also like the idea of closing off the top few rows of the Main Stand so that fans are closer to pitch side and can create a more intimidating atmosphere! That would also have the added effect of making the ground look fuller (on highlights, at least).

My question now is; how do we get these opinions / options across to the people who matter at the club? I can't imagine that a lonely email from me would do much. Do the ASI help with these sorts of things?

NEVTHEDEV
24-03-2014, 07:11 PM

So where do you suggest us old fogies sit,the one`s who have supported the Alex,through thick and thin,many who are season ticket holders,the backbo

MikeSB
24-03-2014, 08:14 PM

So where do you suggest us old fogies sit,the one`s who have supported the Alex,through thick and thi

fatfakir
25-03-2014, 08:45 AM
Given that the Alex has over 2,000 season ticket holders, not all of them are going to fit in the Pop Side... Not to mention the other 1500 or so who turn up every week. Which adds up to more than will fit in the GRE, Pop Side and Railway End.

If I recall correctly, in discussions with John Bowler, he said the club wanted to keep the Railway End open and used on matchdays because it looked better on the TV. He also said the club had considered giving away fans part of the big stand (this was back in the Championship days) but they didn't want to have to remodel the concourse to segregate fans, plus the increase in stewards required would largely negate any financial benefit from getting more fans in. Seem to also recall that he was reluctant to introduce cheaper prices in the GRE as it would mean extra costs in managing that - preventing people buying GRE tickets and going in the main stand, for example.

The only thing JB mentioned, that I'm surprised they haven't done, was netting

AlexLeicester
25-03-2014, 09:06 AM
Comments I have heard from away fans over the years have been very positive (mainly the Championship days and Bradford). They like the fact that we can offer the entire side of the ground, rather than bung a few hundred in a poorly positioned corner.

I can see the need to maximise gate money, but the Pop side plus railway end has been more than enough for most games.

I am absolutely dead against allowing Away fans in the main stand. Even for a friendly (e.g. England U19s v. Poland) it increased tension.
Perhaps the solution is, as always, to keep promoting the Alex and simply create more fans of all ages?

gazan
25-03-2014, 05:32 PM
I'm all for new ideas to increase attendance but I'm afraid a AŁ2 reduction in GRE prices won't work. As that sum represents approx 10% to offset it would mean an extra 450 supporters (at adult prices)
Okay- the club haven't got a clue re: marketing as any reduction is only advertised in the programme or on the OS website to people who are, generally, already committed.
An idea, for me, would be a 'bring-a-friend' scheme with some kind of discount. Of course that could backfire as non-ST's can just invite each other (unless you tie it to membership registrations)
They could also be long-term on this with STs bring a friend and if the friend renews give a discount to the initial person.
Whatever, single match reductions won't work because the club have difficulty GIVING TICKETS AWAY FREE to little kids because parents don't want to pay for their own ticket.
There need to be a series of young supporter clubs as well- with regular meetings. This should be available to kids/****s at variou

TwiceInABlueMoon
30-03-2014, 09:56 PM
I'm definitely not behind giving the away fans part of the Main Stand and taking back the Popside. It would be far too difficult and expensive to steward to be honest. It makes much more sense to give away supporters the Railway End - so it would still look full on tele. The average away attendance at Gresty Road last year was 681; the Railway End holds 682! By closing the Popside altogether on match days, the club could save a few bob - less stewards, bar staff, lighting etc. When the big boys (Wolves, Cov etc.) come along, we can re-open the Popside to suit. No-brainer really.

Totally agree that fans in the Main Stand should be bunched closer together. It's a chance for extra advertising with banners / netting either at the top of the stand or down either side. It would also have the effect of making the place look fuller on tele, if that's what Bowler wants. Plus the benefits of improved atmosphere - as proven by away games such as Walsall, Tranny, Oldham; where we were all bunched

Alexman
31-03-2014, 01:37 PM
I'm all for shutting the top few rows of the main stand, this would increase the atmosphere in the main stand and more advertisement space means more money, and less stewards will be needed.

I'm also for lowering the prices in the GRE. People are not going to pay AŁ20 for that view when there is a main stand with a fantastic view just meters away.

Something needs to be done, we are going to lose a lot of fans if we keep on doing nothing to attract new fans