PDA

View Full Version : Tompkins

lardy_hammer
24-03-2014, 12:57 AM
is not good enough.

I knew we were in trouble yesterday when early on he carelessly squared the ball into the path of a United player.
He should not have allowed Rooney to muscle him out of the way for the goal.
Not premiership quality in my opinion.

bighammerfan
24-03-2014, 02:32 AM
Who? Do you mean Tomkins? Jeez if you're going to slag the player off you could at least spell his right.:/

OZHAMMER
24-03-2014, 06:30 AM
i disagree.

palerider
24-03-2014, 07:15 AM
He had a woeful game on Saturday. Although the writing was already on the wall, getting bullied by Rooney for his first set the tone for the rest of the game.

But with the Bin-dippers after Reid we need to keep him. One bad game doesn't make him a poor player.

Whiskyman
24-03-2014, 07:53 AM
Imo he is good enough without being outstanding.

However, again only imo, Reid & Collins is our best CD partnership and should always be first choice when available.

I do agree that his crossfield "pass" wasa something you tell kids not to do and he also made the fundamental defenders error of allowing the ball to bounce first before Rooney out muscled him (no foul imo).

Has he headed the ball before it bounced (again something you tell kids) Rooney wouldn't have been anywhere near the ball.

PDGPaul
24-03-2014, 08:19 AM
He did have a poor game. Maybe not focused with court case in a couple of weeks looming. However I think he has had a good season overall and is a player we need to keep. As to whether or not Rooney fouled him, well I certainly thought Tomkins was not strong enough in the situation but thought Sherringham was correct in calling it a foul.

Dan_WHUFC
24-03-2014, 08:23 AM
Would totally agree, good squad player at best! He is prone to an error or 2 a game, yes he may have 1 outstanding game in 10. But no where near good enough to start! Back four does not look as organised as with Reid or ginge in the middle!

He gets bullied a lot and seems to be out position a lot to, ball watches to often!

bonzosbest74
24-03-2014, 08:47 AM
I like Tomkins, he either made an error or was fouled in the lead up to Rooneys goal but he's allowed a mistake surely. He's been an important part of one of the best defence's in the league this season and as such has been one of our better players.

Funny how people look at things differently because he would be on my list for HOTY alongside Adrian, Noble & Downing.

mikeveep
24-03-2014, 11:47 AM
He has been pretty faultless this last few months.

Looking for perfection,lardy ? He'll be sorry not to have met your high standards.

lardy_hammer
24-03-2014, 01:10 PM
Mike, Apologies but the premiership is supposed to be the best in the world.
No-one is perfect I agree but it just annoys me when these top players make mistakes that are taught to 12 year old...like someone said
earlier,don't pass along the back four, simple.

And on the subject of mistiming the bounce... well his job is to not mistime the bounce.
Foul or not...and by the way as center half he should be doing the fouling not the other way...

Sorry for the rant but I am a little raw.

QUEDGIE
24-03-2014, 02:42 PM
If you are going to have a go at Tomkins for passing across the back line, then you will have to have a go at the rest of the defence because they all did it.

Whiskyman
24-03-2014, 02:56 PM
I like Tomkins, he either made an error or was fouled in the lead up to Rooneys goal but he's allowed a mistake surely. He's been an important part of one of the best defence's in the league this season and as such has been one of our better players.

Funny how people look at things differently because he would be on my list for HOTY alongside Adrian, Noble & Downing.

I'm not saying he's no good. Just that I think Reid & Collins is a better partnership imo.

He made a mistake Saturday but show me a player, any player, who hasn't.

Even Messi missed a golden opportunity to put Barca 2-0 up last night FFS.
;D

bonzosbest74
24-03-2014, 03:42 PM

I'm not saying he's no good. Just that I think Reid & Collins is a better partnership imo.

;D[/quote]

They may or may not be a better partnership Whisky but the OP's suggestion that Tomkins belongs in the lower leagues is ridiculous. He may never play for Arsenal but he will play all his career at premier lg level I'm quite sure of that. We already know that Pardew

dagenhamJohn
24-03-2014, 04:29 PM
for an above average Prem player it was a crass beginners mistake imo, no pressure to make it either,

thought we played 'hoofball' so how could it happen :?

Dailly___7
24-03-2014, 05:36 PM
Good player without being brilliant. Basically, a West Ham player! Good enough for a mid table at best Premier League team? Yes. Similar to Mark Noble.

Admittedly, he didn't have his best game the other day. I think he's been solid enough otherwise though.

Funny how he's being slagged for trying to pass the ball by the same posters who will berate our team for hoofing it ;D

Also, I'm convinced that the Rooney goal would have been given as a foul almost every time. It wasn't this time and it cost us a goal and so Tomkins is being criticised for it. Sure, he was a bit weak but that is a foul 99 times out of 100. Rooney wasn't trying to play the ball. Put it this way, if that was Carroll doing the exact same to a Man United defender at Old Trafford, you can guarantee they would get the free kick.

Talking of the first goal, I think Adrian is escaping a lot of stick that might have come his way. He was to blame far more than Tomkins for me.

dagenhamJohn
24-03-2014, 05:45 PM
all modern goalies are post 70's sweepers these days, rarely seen on their own goal line,

remember a quote from Bayern munich's trainer commenting on Fabio Barthez during the warmup against Manure,

he thought he was a midfielder.

Hammerman69
24-03-2014, 06:36 PM

;D[/quote]

They may or may not be a better partnership Whisky but the OP's suggestion that Tomkins belongs in the lower leagues is ridiculous. He may never play for Arsenal but he will play all his career at premier lg level I

BillyDWhizz
24-03-2014, 08:20 PM
I would have hoped Tonks had matured into a quality CB by now, but sadly in all honesty he hasn't. He always seems to have a mistake in him and invariably when it occurs it costs us a goal. That said there are far worse players in our team that start week in week out.

westhamkeef
24-03-2014, 08:23 PM
[quote="mikeveep"]He has been pretty faultless this last few months

You didn't go to Stoke last week then? He was gash.
Crouch made him look like a schoolboy.

Whiskyman
24-03-2014, 11:33 PM
I suspect we may see the Collins/Reid combo back in harness against Hull.

Dailly___7
25-03-2014, 05:21 PM

;D[/quote]

They may or may not be a better partnership Whisky but the OP's suggestion that Tomkins belongs in the lower leagues is ridiculous. He may never play for Arsenal but

GARNETT
25-03-2014, 05:25 PM
F ucking Hell :blue:
Another undeserved witch hunt :blue:

Short memories, some people :blue: