PDA

View Full Version : Last nights game

deano_83
26-03-2014, 10:46 AM
Wow, I don't think many of us were expecting such a dominant performance and no doubt Brentford will say they had an off night. Reality is I just think we were far too clever, and good, for them.

Taking nothing away from how we pressed, cleverly sat off a little in midfield to narrow their space and use the ball ourselves, I thought Brentford came and were very naive. They left themselves very open and it reminded me of how Sheff Utd came and played when we disposed of them, playing everything out from the back.

They refused to kick anything long or use an outball and took nearly every free-kick or set play short. As we got right in their faces and stifled their approach they seemed to have no plan B and looked very frustrated.

We played the perfect game. Patient passing and hard work to build a 2-0 lead then second half kept the game tight and used the wings superbly. Adams and Agard were brilliant last night and the former put some quality crosses in.

We'll have the odd stutter l

Townerslovechild
26-03-2014, 11:53 AM
Agreed Deano,in the past promotion seasons when we have played the best teams,there was a distinct gap between us and them.
This season I haven`t seen anybody better than us,and to seal the play-offs so early is simply amazing.

DK_NY
26-03-2014, 01:36 PM
They left themselves very open and it reminded me of how Sheff Utd came and played when we disposed of them, playing everything out from the back.

David Weir is now Brentford's assistant manager, so it's probably no coincidence.

deano_83
26-03-2014, 02:00 PM
Yeah that was my point without mentioning his. Obviously it works 9 times out of 10 as they've been beating sides for fun and Weir seems more suited to a coaching role rather than a number 1 job.

Perhaps similar to John Breckin.

mygiddypant
26-03-2014, 04:31 PM
Agree. The last two games have been very different, but on each occasion the tactics have been excellent. Not many around me seemed to appreciate what was happening in midfield, preferring the option of charging in all guns blazing. B'ford played a nice sub-Barca style of passing sideways, but didn't know what else to do when it didn't work.
Before yesterday I feared the prospect of playing B'ford in the play-offs, now I'm more confident that we could handle them, and the psychological value of last night would be worth a lot. But still think they will go up automatically.
I'm hoping P'boro can hang on to 6th spot.