PDA

View Full Version : Will Burnley..

AucklandRover
27-03-2014, 12:55 AM
... supporters please bugger off back to their own boards?
I thought if I started a new thread with "Burnley" as part of the heading, we might be able to hijack it at some stage to talk about Rovers
For example, I agree with GB that there needs to be consistency about the award of hand-ball penalties. I have no major complaint about the one on Tuesday, but Bowyer is right that it could be seen as ball-to-hand with no immediate threat of a goal, and no realistic way of getting the hand out of the way in time. I suppose different referees are always going to have different interpretations, but I hope the authorities do make every effort to ensure consistency in such decisions.

If you haven't seen it, watch this link. - view external link (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5vBV_Kh6CI)

needle
27-03-2014, 06:50 AM
I would say it was a penalty,but what about the quality of our goals.
Everyone was a real gem,especially Rudy`s,he showed a great amount of courage and commitment to get his head on that one .

Quickenthetempo
27-03-2014, 10:24 AM
Some great football for both sides for the goals. Shame about the offside goal as that was another well worked goal.
The handball was a penalty as his arms were spread wide and not in the natural position of by his side. But the sooner they just make it handball if it hits your hand/arm the better, so everyone knows where they stand.

And finally what a header at the end. You can't ask anymore from a player.

bigmoon
27-03-2014, 05:24 PM
Watching Dunny with them quick feet for the 2nd goal was an absolute joy. Rudy's header was also fantastic. What's happened to our defending though?

AucklandRover
27-03-2014, 07:52 PM
Some great football for both sides for the goals. Shame about the offside goal as that was another well worked goal.
The handball was a penalty as his arms were spread wide and not in the natural position of by his side. But the sooner they just make it handball if it hits your hand/arm the better, so everyone knows where they stand.

QTT - I know what you're saying about having the arms at the player's sides, but is that REALLY the "natural position"? You try running or turning like that. It feels completely UNNATURAL to me!

DanRrr
27-03-2014, 10:03 PM

QTT - I know what you're saying about having the arms at the player's sides, but is that REALLY the "natural position"? You try running or turning like that. It feels completely UNNATURAL to me![/quote]

I think it's one of those 50/50's. I said no pen, (ball to arm), my lad said it clearly was, (unnatural bodyshape and all that) - I obviosuly didn't warp his mind quite well enough :( .

But anyway, as no one agrees, surely we can all agree that it was a controversial pe

seventwo
27-03-2014, 10:20 PM
The handball rule is quite simple these days isn't it?

Your hands must be "inside" the line of your body. If they are "outside" and the ball hits them it's handball.

Doesn't matter how unnatural you may find it.

seventwo
27-03-2014, 10:55 PM
I should have added "Interpretation of" before the last post.

I see Burnley are still going strong.

DanRrr
27-03-2014, 11:44 PM
With all these new fangled rules, it's hard to tell what's what these days Sven. It all sparred going downhill with the passback rule. XD

And Burnley have a very good season. Unbeaten this calendar year too :O

AucklandRover
28-03-2014, 12:37 AM
The handball rule is quite simple these days isn't it?

Your hands must be "inside" the line of your body. If they are "outside" and the ball hits them it's handball.

Doesn't matter how unnatural you may find it.

I've always thought there should be an element of INTENT, except in cases where the hand/arm clearly prevented the ball from entering the net.
Otherwise, you can get get cases like the hand-ball given against Steven Nzonzi at Norwich which was quite clearly ludicrous. It simply isn't realistic to expect a player's hands to be inside the line of his body when moving at speed or attempting a tackle.
I saw one given in the A-League this season when the player had his back to the ball! Fair enough, the arm blocked a dangerous cross, but common sense surely has to enter the equation.

blueandwhitehalves1
28-03-2014, 05:27 PM
Its a harsh one that for me. The winger's feinting to go either way and in that position the defender needs his arms out to balance so he can go either way too. But he did have his arms out and blocked the cross, so probably just about a penalty.

Superb from Dunn, our only geniune PL quality player.

Quickenthetempo
28-03-2014, 08:28 PM
When the handball rule would of first been put in place, players would of got punished for moving the hand towards the ball and deliberately handling it.

Nowadays players are so smart at cheating they have had to put a rule in to prevent defenders from just extending their arms to make themselves bigger but making it look unintentional.

Howie5o
28-03-2014, 08:39 PM
When the handball rule would of first been put in place, players would of got punished for moving the hand towards the ball and deliberately handling it.

Nowadays players are so smart at cheating they have had to put a rule in to prevent defenders from just extending their arms to make themselves bigger but making it look unintentional.

yep agree there QTT ..you see the odd defender getting their arms behind their back so not to bring on the penalty/free kick ..they know the dangers ..get um behind their back ..still think it was harsh ..but ..hands out of the way ..not an issue ..

seventwo
28-03-2014, 10:46 PM

Exactly!

Players cheat all day long and deserve exactly and whatever they get.

Commonsense? Do me a favour.

AucklandRover
29-03-2014, 06:32 AM

Exactly!

Players cheat all day long and deserve exactly and whatever they get.

Commonsense? Do me a favour.[/quote]

But it's a pretty dumb form of cheating if it's always going to be punished with a penalty!.
To me, it's just not in the same category as, for example, the dreadful level of diving and pretending injury.
I really think the referee should be given some discretion about intent. If you're running to meet a player and he lets fly from a metre away, there simply isn't enough reaction time to get your hands behind your back, and you

rossendaleareaclaret
01-04-2014, 08:34 PM
Come on you clarets !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!