PDA

View Full Version : Who is to blame for our current position

lukcour
28-03-2014, 05:48 PM
We have heard so many excuses for our dismal displays this season. The latest two have been that how can we win when we only have 4 players playing to their potential, and the players have to show character.

Do you thinks it is the players to blame? I personally do not. For me there are only 2 people responsible for our record this season. Steve Davis and Neil Baker. The management performance has been extremely poor. Team selection unbelievable. There was a glaring weakness in the team that was obvious from early September. But it was 27 games before the decision was made to drop our captain. For 27 games we had accumulated a measly 24 points, an average .889 points per game. In the next 11 games we gained 16 points, an average 1.45 per game. By the time the management made the change the damage was already done.

When Grant was suspended for the Notts county game they decided to replace him with experience. Is that the kind of experience that was required? We ended up w

AstonAlex
28-03-2014, 06:59 PM
I think that the management team should bear some responsibility for our predicament, but the players cannot be absolved of blame either.

How many times have the same eleven players followed a good performance and three points with an abject capitulation? Too often. If SD and NB can't trust the same players to give consistent performances, either as a team or individually, then it makes their task of preparing and sending that team out onto the pitch. The recent few games are illustrative of this - the Notts County game featured 10 of the same players from the win at Gillingham and I'm sorry but you won't convince me that the inclusion of Abdul was the sole reason for the lacklustre display of several of the others.

Team selection has, at times, been baffling and tactics even more so, but we must assume that time is spent in training working with the match 11 prior to matches to instil this. If the tactics are wrong then they should be changed (and I would agree rarely are), but

Alexmaverick
29-03-2014, 10:12 AM
Harold Finch has to shoulder a fair portion of the blame,surely.

AstonAlex
29-03-2014, 07:02 PM

t s be a pretty dull game before I resort to his column, I'm afraid. . . . sadly once twice this season. . . . . .

bonehead
29-03-2014, 08:37 PM
NORMAN HASSELL

For borrowing the money
that we could of brought in decent players -

the rest of the board for not making the supporters more aware of whats happened in the press

thnhouse
29-03-2014, 08:57 PM
I'm not saying we should sack Steve Davis but we got rid of Thoradson because he wasn't bringing youth through and we were playing long ball football.

There were 3 academy players on the pitch today, all were established before Davis, and the football I witnessed was hardly passes to feet.

MikeSB
29-03-2014, 09:28 PM
Just have another look at the results from the start of the season and its obvious why we are where we are..

One league win in the first nine matches and 3 wins in the next ten and 53 goals shipped. That was relegation form.

Who is to blame for not acting to stop the rot?

You all know the answers..We should be at least as high as Port Vale given all their off field problems. Take your pick..

Managers signings and tactics?

Players just not good enough?

Board not releasing sufficient funds?

Bad luck?

Add others as you see it..

We may still escape but the above needs to be addressed next season either way..

bonehead
29-03-2014, 10:26 PM
would of thought if we need to scrap for points

we should of put more players into midfield

1- 3 - 5 - 2

with 5 proper midfielders

grant - evans - turton - nolan - walters

Alexmaverick
30-03-2014, 11:53 AM

t s be a pretty dull game before I resort to his column, I'm afraid. . . . sadly once twice this season. . . . . .[/quote]
You must have been well bored.