PDA

View Full Version : Gresty Road End Day

grestyraider7
28-03-2014, 11:49 PM
Any support for a one off home game before the end of the season where we can move our tickets to the Gresty Road end from the main stand, fill the G.R.E. make some noise and hoover the ball into the oppo's net? ideas?

crewebacca
29-03-2014, 07:34 AM
Get rid of the seats.

AlsagerCrewie
29-03-2014, 08:43 AM
Any support for a one off home game before the end of the season where we can move our tickets to the Gresty Road end from the main stand, fill the G.R.E. make some noise and hoover the ball into the oppo's net? ideas?

I'd happily take part

Alexmaverick
29-03-2014, 09:05 AM
Great idea.Could do with the club and local press publicising it.
And lets fill it with flags,banners,flares,smoke bombs,ticker-tape and bog-roll.The more the merrier.
UTA!

Alexmaverick
29-03-2014, 09:07 AM
Get rid of the seats.
Well said.

TwiceInABlueMoon
30-03-2014, 09:20 PM
Fully behind this idea!

I think Colchester on Monday 21st April should be the day. Huge 6 pointer and the lads will need vocal support more than ever.

What does everyone think?

Alexmaverick
31-03-2014, 01:07 AM
Fully behind this idea!

I think Colchester on Monday 21st April should be the day. Huge 6 pointer and the lads will need vocal support more than ever.

What does everyone think?
Agreed.

alexmick
31-03-2014, 03:57 PM
Nope.

There was absolutely nothing wrong with the atmosphere from all corners of the ground on Saturday. Plenty of encouragement, because the lads gave it their all. Even that could not influence the result. I am staying put in the main stand. I have paid for the privilege. If the team cannot motivate themselves in the first place, then it time they gave up. I am sure that if any of us had the opportunity of pulling on a red shirt, then we would need absolutely no encouragement from elsewhere to play our hearts out for the mighty Railwaymen.

PAULCAFC
31-03-2014, 04:05 PM
the Coventry fans on their Sky Blues site reckoned we had no singing and basically no atmosphere on our part!

alexmick
31-03-2014, 04:24 PM
the Coventry fans on their Sky Blues site reckoned we had no singing and basically no atmosphere on our part!

We sent them literally to Coventry!

TwiceInABlueMoon
31-03-2014, 08:34 PM
Nope.

There was absolutely nothing wrong with the atmosphere from all corners of the ground on Saturday. Plenty of encouragement, because the lads gave it their all. Even that could not influence the result. I am staying put in the main stand. I have paid for the privilege. If the team cannot motivate themselves in the first place, then it time they gave up. I am sure that if any of us had the opportunity of pulling on a red shirt, then we would need absolutely no encouragement from elsewhere to play our hearts out for the mighty Railwaymen.

Let's all just have a 'sit on our hands and don't say a word day' instead then. That should spur the lads on ;D

We're not saying everyone should opt to move but at least if the club gave people the option; if not just to see what interest it would get. Knock a couple of quid off entry vs. Colchester and offer ST holders the opportunity to switch for the match. If it a fails, it fails -

albert
02-04-2014, 04:46 PM
Count me IN but can I still get a beer at half time in the GRE, ? its so long since i've been in there and I suspect the folk who normally sit near me in the big stand will welcome the quiet for a change :D

OgerAlex
03-04-2014, 11:05 AM
Just a case of the numbers turning up. At the moment GRE must have about 300 - 400 people in tops. Im not one for the club to create artificial days like this - its false - like 'flag days' they have in the premier league. Getting such a thing going is down to folk and word of mouth, make use of social media etc etc. Hope it works out as the atmos has been non existant for a fair few years now - the odd game can be ok but on the whole its pretty drab. Also, if this is gonna happen how about making it Wolves - a game where people are likely to come out for - should be a big gate with a massive away following.

Long term the GRE should have the prices cut get more folk in there (lets face it the view you get is pretty poor compared to the Main stand so shopuld be priced accordingly)
Also, would it be a potential area to trial 'safe standing'...?

PAULCAFC
03-04-2014, 04:38 PM
Expecting Mick and Leicester to turn up in their best togs, wing collar shirt, waistcoat, fob watch, high waist trousers, spats, topped off with top hat and cane!XD XD

AlexLeicester
03-04-2014, 04:50 PM
Expecting Mick and Leicester to turn up in their best togs, wing collar shirt, waistcoat, fob watch, high waist trousers, spats, topped off with top hat and cane!XD XD

Love to X-D but with that lot on I'd be singing and dancing in Cabaret ... no, not the young lady with the chair a la Christine Keeler!

I applaud anybody who spends money and attends Alex games, but please don't expect me to give up my little plastic seat: it's in just the right place for my ancient eyes to take in what's going on on the dirty green bit in the middle.

Sadly I can't get to Crawley. Other things to attend to and don't you need a passport travelling that far south. :-D

alexmick
03-04-2014, 07:34 PM

I will be wearing my shorts in a couple of weeks, young Paul. ;)

alexmick
04-04-2014, 04:01 PM
Nope.

Reading Steve Davis' comments in the Sentinel today, he stated that the crowd were great against Coventry. He also said that when they play well from the start it helps to raise the fan's spirits. That was exactly what it did do last Saturday. The team need to replicate that effort tomorrow, because there will only be a couple of hundred voices shouting them on.

Alexman
12-04-2014, 11:56 PM
Starting to think the problem with the atmosphere isn't the GRE, it's more the main stand. The Main stand folk need to join in with the GRE chants rather than sometimes clap in rythem. I know a lot of people in the main want to chant but don't have the ******** to. Everyone's the same.

alexmick
13-04-2014, 04:48 PM
There absolutely no way you will get me in the GR end, after witnessing the way the fans in that stand stood up throughout the game. I pay to sit in comfort, and if someone is on their feet in front of me, I cannot watch the game. The seats are there for a reason, to sit down in safety. The minutes silence yesterday reminded me of the reason why we should all obey the rules at football grounds. Standing in seated areas is irresponsible and thoughtless towards other spectators. The same could also be said about those spectators in the away end yesterday.

GSMITH
13-04-2014, 05:57 PM
Thanks for that nice little rant.

How is it thoughtless if everyone else is standing up too? If it was down to you ALL GROUNDS would be made to sit and clap... Talk about standing up and cheering on the lads. They get really motivated when they here your distant clap.

alexmick
13-04-2014, 07:43 PM
Thanks for that nice little rant.

How is it thoughtless if everyone else is standing up too? If it was down to you ALL GROUNDS would be made to sit and clap... Talk about standing up and cheering on the lads. They get really motivated when they here your distant clap.

Oh it's you again on about the fans who sit there and clap. Wish you would change the record.

There are many fans who cannot physically stand up for 90 minutes, so they choose to sit down. That is why there are seats. Sitting down does not prevent me from shouting and cheering the lads on. If everyone did stand up, then there would be absolutely no chance for those who cannot stand up, to view the game. That is where the irresponsibility comes in. Nothing to do with your ridiculous statement about clapping. It is everything to do with crowd safety. Standing in areas where there are seats is a dangerous practice, which could lead to injury. During the minut

Alexmaverick
13-04-2014, 08:04 PM
Not really that dangerous though,is it?

NEVTHEDEV
13-04-2014, 11:53 PM
Tell that to the parents and relatives,of the 96.how mindless can you be???

Alexmaverick
14-04-2014, 04:55 AM
Tell that to the parents and relatives,of the 96.how mindless can you be???[/quote]
How mindless can YOU be?, I suggest.
People stood up in a seated area is a completely different scenario to Hillsboro' where an excessive amount had been allowed onto the terrace,without a means of escape being available at the front.

TwiceInABlueMoon
14-04-2014, 07:20 AM
I am not buying this "standing is dangerous... look at Hillsborough" argument. Hillsborough was a huge tragedy but was caused by a number of factors and under totally different circumstances to modern day, all-seater stadia.

The whole Kop was on it's feet all day yesterday (and have been so all season). I think if there's anyone that can judge on safe standing, it is LFC fans.

If you don't want to stand, then stay in the main stand; that's fine. GRE is for standing and trying to create some atmosphere. It's just a shame there aren't more of us in there!

GSMITH
20-04-2014, 04:13 PM
Davis wants people with season tickets to get in the GRE. Do it. - view external link (http://www.crewechronicle.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/plan-boost-buzz-alex-gathers-7011265)

alexmick
20-04-2014, 05:02 PM
Davis wants people with season tickets to get in the GRE. Do it.

I have no objection to those fans who wish to do this. However, I will be staying put in the main stand where I can remain seated. Although I have absolutely no problem with walking about, I am afraid that when I stand in one place for a long time, my hips give me a lot of pain. An aging thing.

Timon
21-04-2014, 09:20 AM
Great idea hope we have a fantastic response. I'm sure all genuine fans will be behind this & the team this afternoon!

Alexmaverick
21-04-2014, 09:33 AM
Everyone get in the Road End today...and if it fills up completely then kick down the f***in' walls (as The Cockney Rejects once said) and force yer way in.Anarchy reigns within the confines of the GRE!

lestiverton
21-04-2014, 11:33 AM
So anarchy / vandalism equates with getting behind the team, does it? I'm sure you're speaking tongue-in-cheek but there are some on here who might think it's for real. Especially, those of us 60+!

GSMITH
21-04-2014, 12:06 PM
So anarchy / vandalism equates with getting behind the team, does it? I'm sure you're speaking tongue-in-cheek but there are some on here who might think it's for real. Especially, those of us 60+!

Jesus, have a nap and chill out. He was obviously joking, unbelievable miserable hahaha.

alexmick
21-04-2014, 05:12 PM

Jesus, have a nap and chill out. He was obviously joking, unbelievable miserable hahaha.[/quote]

If it indeed was a joke, it was in poor taste. I sincerely hope that your reply to a decent football supporter was not serious, GS? If it was, that was extremely insulting.

alexmick
21-04-2014, 05:16 PM
The fans all around the ground certainly got behind the team today. It is a pity that the players did not respond to all of the encouragement that was given to them. The football was pretty dire from both sides today. It was a good job that the opposition could not shoot straight today as they had ample shots, with most of them going wide. On May 3rd when we entertain Preston, it will be exactly 3 months and two days since the Alex last treated the home faithful to a victory. Not a good incentive for the sale of season tickets for next season.

Alexmaverick
21-04-2014, 06:08 PM
The fans all around the ground certainly got behind the team today. It is a pity that the players did not respond to all of the encouragement that was given to them. The football was pretty dire from both sides today. It was a good job that the opposition could not shoot straight today as they had ample shots, with most of them going wide. On May 3rd when we entertain Preston, it will be exactly 3 months and two days since the Alex last treated the home faithful to a victory. Not a good incentive for the sale of season tickets for next season.
I've no complaints about the players effort.They all seemed well enough up for it in my view.We just found it too difficult to find a way through.
Good support from both the GRE and Main stand.

albert
21-04-2014, 06:09 PM
[quote="TwiceInABlueMoon" argument. Hillsborough was a huge tragedy but was caused by a number of factors and under totally different circumstances to modern day, all-seater stadia.

The whole Kop was on it's feet all day yesterday (and have been so all season). I think if there's anyone that can judge on safe standing, it is LFC fans.

If you don't want to stand, then stay in the main stand; that's fine. GRE is for standing and trying to create some atmosphere. It's just a shame there aren't more of us in there![/quote]
bang on absolutely agree. to use hilsborough as an argument is ill judged to put it mildly and completely ignorant at best. standing was ok for years until a tragedy happened due to incompetence not design yet some people use it as yet another stick of the H&S brigades artillery.

AlexLeicester
21-04-2014, 06:38 PM
Hearty congrats to all those who made some noise in the GRE.
There was little going on on the pitch to sing about, but at least you made some noise. Maybe, when Preston come to town there will be: 1. a solid reason to raise the roof and sing 'We're staying up'; and 2. some friendly and noisy banter with the North Lancashire lads and lasses.

It was great to hear you all. :-D

alexmick
21-04-2014, 07:10 PM
I've no complaints about the players effort.They all seemed well enough up for it in my view.We just found it too difficult to find a way through.
Good support from both the GRE and Main stand.[/quote]

The team did not function as a unit today. Too many high balls and wasted passes for my liking. Both teams were poor and perhaps

Proggs
21-04-2014, 07:52 PM
An it is THE reason for going down. Many other excuses will be rolled out but, should it occur, the margin will be a few points and that is down to the relegation home form of Feb to now.

Why are we so poor at home?

RenegadeDS
21-04-2014, 07:52 PM
I switched to the GRE today after seeing SD ask fans to get behind it. It was bloody nice to actually sing throughout a game at home! The game wasn't great, we didn't do enough, but thought we were unlucky at the end to not get the three points. Aside from their break to hit the post, it felt like we had them pinned back. Uche definitely should have scored his header.

TwiceInABlueMoon
21-04-2014, 08:46 PM
Garratt's kicking was poor first half. Pity he didn't take account of the wind and roll the ball out to the defenders. However, he did save us with a few good saves in that second period. I am just sick of not having witnessed a win since Feb 1st. It is very frustrating.

Not sure you were watching the same 1st half as me Mick. Garrett barely ever kicked a long one. Granted; the ones he did were poor. Most were dhort to Duggy & Ellis every time. Though they both had solid games but it's a shame neither of them are great with their distribution. Definitely something to work on in the close season.

alexmick
22-04-2014, 04:57 PM
Garratt's kicking was poor first half. Pity he didn't take account of the wind and roll the ball out to the defenders. However, he did save us with a few good saves in that second period. I am just sick of not having witnessed a win since Feb 1st. It is very frustrating.

Not sure you were watching the same 1st half as me Mick. Garrett barely ever kicked a long one. Granted; the ones he did were poor. Most were dhort to Duggy & Ellis every time. Though they both had solid games but it's a shame neither of them are great with their distribution. Definitely something to work on in the close season.[/quote]

I was watching for the whole of the game and the wind certainly did effect Garratt's kicking in the first 45. It carried it out of play on a number of occasions, especially the side adjacent to the main stand.

TwiceInABlueMoon
27-04-2014, 08:36 AM
BUMP!

Let's get this going again - fill the GRE next Saturday for the Preston game! Come on ladies and gents; the lads need us!! Main Standers; get yourselves in the GRE. GRE'ers; bring a mate along to the game. Let's make some noise and cheer the lads onto victory. :D

Alexmaverick
27-04-2014, 09:37 AM
Fill the whole ground,more like.

TwiceInABlueMoon
29-04-2014, 09:03 PM
Duggy gave this a mention after Bristol (see link). Come on people, lets make this happen - FILL THE GRE! And come on CAFC - promote this on the website, get the word out there!

Lets roar them onto 3 points :D :heart: - view external link (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fmjO6ZnSgk)