PDA

View Full Version : Boogate, the Boleyn Ground and the move to Stratford

TrevandDev
30-03-2014, 11:25 AM
Apologies for the "Watergate" quip but given the endless scandals and crises that never seem to be too far from WHU, "Boogate" seems quite apt.

After this season there will be two more at the Boleyn Ground before the move to Stratford. Getting misty eyed and emotional over significant changes in life is not always the best way of moving on, but given the history of the Boleyn and what it means to so many, it is surely important that the club leaves its old patch on the best possible terms with its recent past.

Sadly I can't see how that can happen if the owners stick with the current manager and his continued alienation of the club's supporters. The polarisation of views generated by Allardyce's management style has been quite incredible. I personally do not know one Irons fan who is supportive of Allardyce as the manager of WHU, and yet coverage in the media and blogs by some fans indicate that he does have a significant level of support. A piece in the Daily Mail the other day com

dagenhamJohn
30-03-2014, 01:28 PM
you mean the Booleyn Ground at Upton Park ;D

the most massive get behind for a manager was John Lyall.

palerider
30-03-2014, 02:35 PM
[quote="TrevandDev" seems quite apt.

After this season there will be two more at the Boleyn Ground before the move to Stratford. Getting misty eyed and emotional over significant changes in life is not always the best way of moving on, but given the history of the Boleyn and what it means to so many, it is surely important that the club leaves its old patch on the best possible terms with its recent past.

Sadly I can't see how that can happen if the owners stick with the current manager and his continued alienation of the club's supporters. The polarisation of views generated by Allardyce's management style has been quite incredible. I personally do not know one Irons fan who is supportive of Allardyce as the manager of WHU, and yet coverage in the media and blogs by some fans indicate that he does have a significant level of supp

FLAIRON
30-03-2014, 02:57 PM
On a side note, do you not think that there have been some good performance, where the lads have not only won, but done so playing decent football, Tottenham away in the league for example?

I appreciate that Alladyce is not everyone's cup of tea, but tend to take a rather pragmatic approach myself; horses for course and all that.

I had the fortune to Speak to Tony Cottee when Alladyce was appointed and remember him saying that we had at last got a proper manager, or some such thing. The point is, we were becoming a bit of a farce. I view BFS as someone who has been brought in to steady the ship and bring some order and discipline back to the club. So far, he has achieved everything that has been asked say for playing attractive football week in, week out.

Obviously, that is not everyone's cup of tea. However, I do feel some credit is due for what has been achieved with our squad, finances, and injury problems.

WHU
30-03-2014, 03:29 PM
excellent post t+d

after spuds, i'm off until we get a FOOTBALL MANAGER at our club so will leave it for others to add to the thread

JimmyV66
30-03-2014, 03:54 PM
Flairon the fact that you can only provide (or at least recall) one example is rather damming of the footy played under Allardyce.

The game you mentioned we played the false number 9. We took everybody including Spurs by suprise.

What does Sam then do? He plays the same false no9 for the next 5 matches. 2 draws, 3 defeats just 2 goals scored.