PDA

View Full Version : Time for Carson to return

laticRMI
01-04-2014, 09:46 PM
Does anyone agree with me that it is time for Scott Carson to return to the team as first choice? I recognise Ali's shot-stopping capabilities, but I also see that he doesn't dominate the box anywhere near enough for a top keeper. It was noticeable tonight in comparison to Schmeichel who seemed much quicker at coming off his line - he saved them a couple of times that I can remember. Whereas every time they floated a ball into the box I found myself wondering where Ali was - stuck on the line as usual. I hate myself for saying this, but I don't think he is as good as Scott Carson as an all round keeper - not just a shot stopper.:?

red_clogs
01-04-2014, 10:55 PM
Lee Nichols looked better than the pair of them at commanding his area in the run of games he had at the start of the season. Unfortunately for him he threw one in and hasn't had a look in since.

I couldn't put a cigarette paper between Ali and Carson, both great shot stoppers, but both vampire like on their day.

WhoRYa
02-04-2014, 07:48 AM
IMO Al Habsi is by far & away the best shot stopper that we have at the club.
Carson commands his area slightly better & has far better distribution

Overall I rate Al Habsi higher than I rate Carson so I'd keep him in t'sticks

twofootedchallenge
02-04-2014, 10:06 AM
I have more faith in Ali he is more athletic than Carson both goals yesterday were from not getting the ball clear. :blue:

A clean sheet now and then would be nice ;D

Ali for the semi-final for me :D

wigan96
03-04-2014, 09:19 AM
Also think Ali needs to work on his kicking, said this so many times before. He seems to have no composure when on the ball! Always wonder what do they actually work on in training!? Far too many times he fluffs kicks

laticRMI
03-04-2014, 08:36 PM
I agree that there is not much to choose between Ali and Scott. Why not rotate them, then, like he does with the rest of the team? Can't see Carson being very happy about being on the bench every game - wouldn't want to lose him. I still don't feel confident with Ali when the ball comes across into the box - he doesn't command the area enough, and makes defenders edgy. Fantastic shot stopper, but so is Carson. I think opposing teams are starting to play on Ali's clear weaknesses.:s

lincolnlatic
03-04-2014, 09:29 PM
The one really weak point of Ali's game to me is his distribution, great when he is throwing it but his kicking game lets him down this is where Carson is better than him

Ali doesn'tcommand his area very well but then neither does Carson, given the choice i would take a fit ali over a fit Scott Carson everytime

laticRMI
08-04-2014, 11:28 PM
I'm convinced that he is better than Ali - looked composed and confident tonight - in the midst of a shambolic performance by virtually all his team mates. He commands the goal area more convincingly than our man from Oman.;)

bostonblue68
09-04-2014, 01:51 AM
Ali will be in for the Arsenal semi, gonna need him to save all those penalties.

Has anyone looked at Latics schedule this season, they have played a lot more than any other team what with Championship, FA and league cups and Europa League. With the current run of weekend and midweek games the team has to be rotated.

I think the focus has been to get into playoff zone, save something for the FA semi and then try to stay in the playoffs.
Be realistic about what they have been up against. Still a ways to go but they are hanging in there.