PDA

View Full Version : Record Crowd at FP

jwess
02-04-2014, 03:03 PM
On our cup run in 1952 we beat Rangers 2-1 at Fir Park in a replay before what was recorded then as a record crowd of over 35,000.
However it was estimated that the unofficial attendance was closer to 42,00 as fans had crammed into the area around the back of the old stand.
I attended Knowetop School then and the school gates were locked as thousands lined to get into Fir Park.
I had permission for have a half day from school to attend the match and the only way I could get out was the school janitor had a set of steps and helped me to the top of the railings. I then jumped down into the arms of my dad and uncles.
I was surrounded by my family at the game who all had a good laugh when they looked up to the school roof and there was the "janny" lying back having a great view of the match.
Memories...ye canny whack them !!!!!

dazlhigh
02-04-2014, 11:30 PM
I'm pretty sure that the heidie, Mr.Walker, shut Calder Primary for that game as well, though we had to bring a note from home saying how our lives would be blighted if we didn't get to the game. He got his notes.
He passed in his car as we made our way up Albert Street. We thought we knew where he was going.

Yazz
04-04-2014, 07:51 PM
My father "dogged" it from his school in Edinburgh to go to the game. Told me he watched it from the cinder track.

Think the record books show over 500,000 watched that Cup run.