PDA

View Full Version : Final five games revealed

jwok
02-04-2014, 03:47 PM
Exciting times ahead. Games pretty much as expected.

Saturday 19 April Celtic at Fir Park

Saturday 26 April Dundee United at Tannadice

Saturday 3 May St Johnstone at Fir Park

Wednesday 7 may Inverness at Fir Park

Sunday 11 May Aberdeen at - view external link (www.motherwell-mad.co.uk/news/tmnw/final_five_games_revealed_829533/index.shtml)

wellin
02-04-2014, 04:53 PM
I think that's ok. We'll get some money in by playing celtic at home and the other two games against inverness and st j at home are very winnable. The only thing that is we play our two closest rivals away, saying that we seem to fair better against those sides away from home.

FirParkCapeTown
02-04-2014, 06:50 PM
as well as we could have hoped for I think? Top 3 gets into Europe 100%, we probably need a max of 3 wins from the last 6 to stay ahead of DU, who still have Celtic twice...Saturday plus St J and ICT would get us there. Would love to finish 2nd though to stick it up the Sheep, as well as an extra 250k in prize money according to media reports this week

steviex
02-04-2014, 08:02 PM
as well as we could have hoped for I think? Top 3 gets into Europe 100%, we probably need a max of 3 wins from the last 6 to stay ahead of DU, who still have Celtic twice...Saturday plus St J and ICT would get us there. Would love to finish 2nd though to stick it up the Sheep, as well as an extra 250k in prize money according to media reports this week

Hope we get extra money cos I've just watched the goals from last night and all I can say is holy fpuck ... we badly need a goalkeeper even just an average one.

wellowell
02-04-2014, 09:19 PM
Totally agree always thought he was a bomb scare at cross balls but a good shot stopper but know he can't even get down quick enough to a long distance shot I'm sure Hollis who I think good 2nd keeper will have to go as Nielsen still under contract so as he's still their we need a good no 1 and Hollis not good enough IMO

firparkloony
03-04-2014, 08:47 AM
Both not good enough...have a look at the league table, some people are never pleased!

steviex
03-04-2014, 04:52 PM
Both not good enough...have a look at the league table, some people are never pleased!

The goalkeepers are poor and these are the small differences between winning stuff and merely making up the numbers... its not a difficult observation. Sure we should be pleased where we sit and don't know of any Motherwell fan who isn't but those type of gift goals will be the difference between achieving or merely making up the numbers. But hey if you think our goalkeepers are of a good standard who don't undermine the ability of the rest of the team I'm pleased I'm equally happy you ain't the manager.

Wellup4it
03-04-2014, 04:54 PM

We have to be more analytical about this. Have the keepers played their part in getting us to second spot?

If he follows your logic, Stuart McCall would conclude that as the team finished 2/3/4 in the league then it doesn't require strengthening. However I hope he takes a more proactive view, as we are paying him to do, and looks to strengthen the weakest areas of the squad for next season. Right now the goalkeeping department looks one of the weakest to me.

Sup3rw3ll
03-04-2014, 07:31 PM
What worries me most is the goals against statistic. This is against the whole league, i'd like to work out what the stats are against top six opposition. I fret they will not be good reading.

Motherwell
Dundee United
Inverness CT
St Johnstone
Aberdeen
Celtic
[nextcol]

wellin
03-04-2014, 07:46 PM
By far the weakest part of the team. I reckon we could be 4 or 5 points better off if we had a decent keeper.

steviex
03-04-2014, 08:38 PM
What worries me most is the goals against statistic. This is against the whole league, i'd like to work out what the stats are against top six opposition. I fret they will not be good reading.

Motherwell
Dundee United
Inverness CT
St Johnstone
Aberdeen
Celtic
[nextcol]

its our forwards that have kept us where we are. Our goals scored is excellent. Our midfield on their day are good. Our defence is generally mediocre at best and woeful at worst. Not helped by dodgy keepers. Only the bottom 5 have a worst defensive record than us and even then we run them close. The worst defence in the league (Hearts) have only conceded 10 more goals than us and they have played boys most of the season. We seriously need to make big changes in defence for next season. Had we had a decent defence and goalkeeper we would have done some serious damage this season and I wouldn't have bet against some silverware.

Sup3rw3ll
03-04-2014, 09:17 PM
Counted this up manually, so might be out +/- 1, but is not good reading at all.. We might get pumped if not careful. Really, really need to get much more organised with the set pieces, and defending from the front.

Goals Conceded:
Motherwell
Dundee United
Inverness CT
St Johnstone
Aberdeen
Celtic
[nextcol]
Top 6
[nextcol]
Bottom 6
[nextcol]
Total

Wellup4it
03-04-2014, 09:46 PM
Not all of our defensive frailties can be laid at the door of our defence or goalkeepers. On more than a few occasions our midfield has failed to protect and shield our back four.

steviex
03-04-2014, 09:59 PM
Not all of our defensive frailties can be laid at the door of our defence or goalkeepers. On more than a few occasions our midfield has failed to protect and shield our back four.

You are correct thats why i was careful to say our midfield on their day are good as i realise they have off days which expose the defence. However that said the general standard of our defending this season has on balance more often been grim rather than great. The number of times teams get free headers in our 18 yard box from set pieces is desperate and the amount of goals we ship is on balance more defensive errors than anything else.

I am convinced had we been able to defend to a good standard the league cup would at this minute be sitting in the Fir Park trophy room.

bheron
04-04-2014, 08:49 AM
Counted this up manually, so might be out +/- 1, but is not good reading at all.. We might get pumped if not careful. Really, really need to get much more organised with the set pieces, and defending from the front.

Goals Conceded:
Motherwell
Dundee United
Inverness CT
St Johnstone
Aberdeen
Celtic
[nextcol]
Top 6
[nextcol]
Bottom 6
[nextcol]
Total
If these figures are correct, it means a staggering 72% have been conceded to the top six. It does not bode well for the remaining five games. :s

Yazz
06-04-2014, 02:01 PM
I can't see more than 6pts max from that.

I'm ruling out the Beggarz game.
Utd are far better than we are.
St's and IceyTea at home are my plumb hopes,
Aberdeen away -- maybe we'll need to take something for 3rd place, which worries me greatly.