PDA

View Full Version : Why hasn't Jordan Rhodes...

Quickenthetempo
03-04-2014, 11:24 AM
been nominated for any awards this season? 22 league goals is a fine effort and didn't he just get his 50th Rovers goal in 89 apps for the club?

All the publicity has been about McCormack and Ings that I have seen.

Edit to add link to Champ top scorers - view external link (http://www.sportinglife.com/football/championship/top-scorers)

champs95
03-04-2014, 12:26 PM
been nominated for any awards this season? 22 league goals is a fine effort and didn't he just get his 50th Rovers goal in 89 apps for the club?

All the publicity has been about McCormack and Ings that I have seen.

Edit to add link to Champ top scorerss

Ings is a novelty factor, as its his first season where hes done anything. Whereas Rhodes has been consistently scoring goals at this level.
McCormack plays for Leeds Utd who play on sky every week even though they are crap.

Stan_van_nel
03-04-2014, 01:45 PM
Anyone with two eyes and a brain (yes that includes the managers of this division) can quite clearly see that both Ings and McCormack are better footballers than Rhodes.

Now if there was an award for 'most natural goalscorer' then I'm sure if his wasn't mentioned folk would have something to be upset about.

champs95
03-04-2014, 01:57 PM
Anyone with two eyes and a brain (yes that includes the managers of this division) can quite clearly see that both Ings and McCormack are better footballers than Rhodes.

Now if there was an award for 'most natural goalscorer' then I'm sure if his wasn't mentioned folk would have something to be upset about.

Yeah to be fair he is rubbish. Anyone who scores 25 - 30 goals every season usually is.
In a pretty average side aswell.

to be fair, in his first season when he has done anything, Ings looks okay. I've seen many, many, many strikers who had one good season.

Stan_van_nel
03-04-2014, 02:45 PM
Yeah to be fair he is rubbish.

What a strange thing to say about your top goalscorer and one of the major reasons you aren't playing League 1 football this season.

Anyway I was wondering, has Rhodes to your knowledge ever played at right midfield, left midfield, as a winger or as an attacking midfielder like McCormack and Ings have between them?

DanRrr
03-04-2014, 04:05 PM
I'm with Stan here. I would say that Rhodes is the most natural finisher in the division. But there has been a lot lacking for overall football. On Wed he showed for the 1st time I've seen, decent play from the sides. The opposition often force him out wide to try and neutralise him and he's handling it much better recently. But I can't think of another position he could play competently, other then striker.

Still, I do like having him at Rovers!!!

Howie5o
03-04-2014, 04:15 PM
Yep anyone whos watched Rhodes week in week out know his failings instantly ..but ..he does know where that net is ..

As an all round footballer he aint got it and more importantly he doesnt have the pace ..hence no one from the Prem has taken a chance on him ..yet ..

As his manager GB should know better than anyone what Rhodes does best and how to build a team around him to exploit those things ...but does he really know ??..

champs95
03-04-2014, 05:17 PM
I dont think he has enough pace about him. Certainly not to make a step up to a big club in the Prem. But he is a natural goal scorer.

As good as Ings or McCormack are in left wing positioms, or attacking midfield, their best position, where they play, is striker. Where have they had the greater effect? Left wing, attacking mid, or striker? My bets the latter.

Alan Shearer could cross a ball better than anyone. He wouldve made a very good winger. He was a much better striker, so he played there. He was an out & out goalscorer too. So was Jimmy Greaves. Cloughie was too. Im sure all could do a job out left too, but you play where you have most effect.
Whats his goals assist this season out of interest? In proportion to our goals scored? Isnt he one of the highest to assist goals too?
The ones I saw, in particular came exactly from the left wing position vrs Derby at Home? And an attacting midfield position vrs Leeds away, both times setting up Gestede?

Thats 2 off the top of m

rossendaleareaclaret
03-04-2014, 05:54 PM
Because Mr Rhodes is nowhere near as good as the mighty ings simples !!!!!!!!!

Despair
03-04-2014, 07:46 PM
JR's obvious attributes are in direct contrast to his weakness's.
He's a out an out goal poacher, but does try hard to contribute more. But I fear it is just not coming, nor do I think ever will do.
Having said that his impressive goal tally's are enough to maintain him as a valuable asset, not at 8ml mind, and the game plan has to built around him.

champs95
03-04-2014, 08:08 PM
Having thought about this, I can throw another in, David Nugent.
He's scored goals all season, in the side that will win the Championship. And he's a good player to use, thinking about the way the argument lies with Rhodes, and numerous others, who score goals, and play well at this level. As Nugent is doing this season. Some players make it in the Prem, some just don't. Nugent always scored a few in the Prem for various clubs, but has spent the peak of his career age wise, down in the champ. So he didn't quite make it in that league, as he won't next season. Jay Rod who moved to Saints, young, scored goals for Burnley, and has stepped up in a great up & coming side and did make the step up. To the point he's in the Internatinonal reckoning. I get the feeling Ings may do the same, if that's at Burnley or elsewhere, that will happen next season. All I was saying was, Ings has done brilliantly for one season. I'm only reserving judgment based on that, having seen it before, many t

Stan_van_nel
03-04-2014, 08:51 PM
Jay Rod who moved to Saints, young, scored goals for Burnley, and has stepped up in a great up & coming side and did make the step up. To the point he's in the Internatinonal reckoning. I get the feeling Ings may do the same, if that's at Burnley or elsewhere, that will happen next season. All I was saying was, Ings has done brilliantly for one season. I'm only reserving judgment based on that, having seen it before, many times.

This is what I was on about when I said that McCormack and Ings are better footballers than Rhodes.

Rodders (Jay) didn't really do 'brilliantly' for us using your definition which is how many goals have been scored. I think Rodders scored 29 goals in the last two seasons for us at this level, which isn't shabby but it's no where near what Rhodes has scored.

Like Despair has said, if you have a goal poacher then that is what you supply and you set your team up accordingly.

champs95
04-04-2014, 10:45 AM
Jay Rod who moved to Saints, young, scored goals for Burnley, and has stepped up in a great up & coming side and did make the step up. To the point he's in the Internatinonal reckoning. I get the feeling Ings may do the same, if that's at Burnley or elsewhere, that will happen next season. All I was saying was, Ings has done brilliantly for one season. I'm only reserving judgment based on that, having seen it before, many times.

This is what I was on about when I said that McCormack and Ings are better footballers than Rhodes.

Rodders (Jay) didn't really do 'brilliantly' for us using your definition which is how many goals have been scored. I think Rodders scored 29 goals in the last two seasons for us at this level, which isn't shabby but it's no where near what Rhodes has scored.

Like Despair has said, if you have a goal poacher then that is what you supply and you set your

Stan_van_nel
04-04-2014, 02:17 PM
I think that your computer (or whichever device you've been using) is broken Champs. It seems to be adding words to other peoples posts which aren't really there.

'Wonderful use of the rules to suit your own point'

XD You are joking Mr Goalpost mover.

'Ings is a novelty' and 'McCormack plays for Sky Leeds' that's why they've been nominated for awards and Rhodes hasn't. Them 24 Championship managers know nothing.

Oh well, that's another one done with.

claret1978
04-04-2014, 09:16 PM
Price tag! You paid to much, never see it back.

champs95
04-04-2014, 09:54 PM
... Mr Goalpost mover ...

:D :D

Takes one to know one...you know you are, you said you are, but what am I? ;D

If I think back to the season, each week, listening to the results come in...Ings always seemed to be on the score sheet from the start of the season. He did it, on a regular basis, so of course, he deserves any plaudits. In a way I feel sorry for that Vokes lad, who has had a fantastic season in his own right, but over shadowed by Ings goals.

One last thing thing about Rhodsey. He doesn't need to play particularly well to get a goal. And scoring regular goals in a pretty average side on a regular basis is no mean feet.

Teddy Sheringham was a brilliant footballer. I saw him at Ewood, for years and years and years throughout his career. He actually partnered Shearer in Euro 96 and formed one of our better forward lines of recent years. Shearer you could say was a goal machine. Very reliant on his strike partner (he always said his favourite partner was Newell at Rover

Despair
05-04-2014, 06:25 AM
[quote="champs95"]... Mr Goalpost mover ...

If I think back to the season, each week, listening to the results come in...Ings always seemed to be on the score sheet from the start of the season. He did it, on a regular basis, so of course, he deserves any plaudits. In a way I feel sorry for that Vokes lad, who has had a fantastic season in his own right, but over shadowed by Ings goals.

One last thing thing about Rhodsey. He doesn't need to play particularly well to get a goal. And scoring regular goals in a pretty average side on a regular basis is no mean feet.

Teddy Sheringham was a brilliant footballer. I saw him at Ewood, for years and years and years throughout his career. He actually partnered Shearer in Euro 96 and formed one of our better forward lines of recent years. Shearer you could say was a goal machine. Very reliant on his strike partner (he always

champs95
05-04-2014, 06:34 AM
[quote="Despair"]... Mr Goalpost mover ...

Teddy Sheringham was a brilliant footballer. I saw him at Ewood, for years and years and years throughout his career. He actually partnered Shearer in Euro 96 and formed one of our better forward lines of recent years. Shearer you could say was a goal machine. V

Quickenthetempo
05-04-2014, 07:03 PM
Sheringham was a poor mans Peter Beardsley. Now he was a footballer.

Despair
05-04-2014, 07:25 PM
Sheringham was a poor mans Peter Beardsley. Now he was a footballer.

Quite agree ! PB was a fair old footballer. If though that makes TS 'a poor mans substitute' that's a matter of opinion. Not in the same league??? I shall maintain my doubts on that (alongside SAF ;D )

Quickenthetempo
05-04-2014, 07:34 PM
Slightly harsh on Teddy as we was a good footballer but I can't remember him being at the top of his game for that many years.

Might be a bit out with this one as it's a little time ago.

But Beardsley would be my 2nd striker in any team of the last 30 years.

champs95
05-04-2014, 07:58 PM
Slightly harsh on Teddy as we was a good footballer but I can't remember him being at the top of his game for that many years.

Might be a bit out with this one as it's a little time ago.

But Beardsley would be my 2nd striker in any team of the last 30 years.

Beardsley was a brilliant player. His partnership with Linekar was not unlike SAS for England, Mexico 86 & Euro 96 (other than Italia 90) saw us progress aswell.
And of course Rush & Dalglish. All similar. But to say one is better than another is subjective, one scores goals, and does that well, the other plays a different role.

To take the point back, Rhodes is a goal scorer. As Alan Shearer was, Linekar Rush etc. (not that I'm saying he's as good as those players) he does what he gets paid to do. Not to be confused with not being as good as others, he simply does his job, consistently. Not for a one off season either.

AucklandRover
05-04-2014, 08:47 PM
Unfortunately, I go back a lot further than most of you. The best example of a set-up player for a strike-partner I saw regularly was a bloke called John Tudor at Newcastle in the early-70s. Malcolm Macdonald got all the headlines, but Tudor was superb at providing for him.
Tudor seemed to know instinctively where Super-Mac would be making his runs.

Despair
05-04-2014, 09:04 PM
Unfortunately, I go back a lot further than most of you. The best example of a set-up player for a strike-partner I saw regularly was a bloke called John Tudor at Newcastle in the early-70s. Malcolm Macdonald got all the headlines, but Tudor was superb at providing for him.
Tudor seemed to know instinctively where Super-Mac would be making his runs.

Remember it well.

As said ones the quiet orchestrator, and t'other takes the plaudits.

Today JR did very little up until the point RG laid on a lovely chance for him which he buried with aplomb. When I say did very little, this in respect of influencing the outcome of the proceedings. But one chance one goal, what's to complain about.
He then came alive for the remaining match as they were having to chase the game.
Got to say, I would have liked us to have been able to pick up young Williams on loan.