PDA

View Full Version : Compensation for Killer - Has the World gone mad

NuclearDevice
05-04-2014, 06:42 AM
How can this nasty piece of work who MURDRERD a 13 year old (and tried to kill another girl by running her over) be awarded compo for being beaten up inside prison by another prisoner.

This deranged individual should have been hanged, not given a large wedge for his "minor injuries".

"The prison officers should have protected him". Hope his solicitor is feeling proud of himself today. :/ :/ >:( >:(

Hope the scum rots in jail and never has the chance to spend his money.

Makes me so angry >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( - view external link (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-26880728)

MissWinnie
05-04-2014, 07:31 AM
Hadn't seen this, Nuc.

Just ugh on a number of levels. I'm totally against capital punishment - just makes us as bad, imo (although I understand the sentiment) - but how the guy has the nerve to sue is beyond belief. I'm assuming he was planning on donating the money to the families of the victims to help 'compensate' them for their suffering ? :/ He's accepting no responsibility for the situation he found himself in. But then, if you can do what he did, I guess morals and insight aren't top of your agenda.

I guess the solicitors have an obligation to advise according to the law, and the decision makers to make awards in the same vein, but what kind of justice system do we have that sees murderers receiving compensation, while real victims of crime frequently receive nothing, or derisory sums, despite their whole world's being turned upside down? :blue:

ozfan
08-04-2014, 11:00 AM
Only just had a chance to catch up with this story. As distasteful as it is Winnie's correct in that all parties have followed the steps of law once the complaint was laid.

On a more positive note it may offer protection to more vulnerable individuals inside the prison system. A jail sentence should not include assaults and thuggery. Should it?

MissWinnie
09-04-2014, 05:20 AM
A jail sentence should not include assaults and thuggery. Should it?

You are absolutely right, Oz, it shouldn't. My gripe was with him suing/profiting from the assault given the suffering he has inflicted on others and the inequity of the system, but, at the same time, everyone has a right to be protected in jail, whatever they have done (I know it probably grates in some cases). To me, the 'punishment' is the deprivation of a person's liberty. The sentence shouldn't justify/condone abuse on the inside. I think if we go down that route, then, like capital punishment, we make ourselves as bad. For those prisoners who will be released one day, then having to survive in an environment of fear and violence doesn't prepare them for life on the outside. As you say, Oz, not every prisoner is a monster, there are a lot of vulnerable people caught in the system too.

I'm not sure of the details of the case Nuc mentions, but I guess it