PDA

View Full Version : Great result v. Creepies

AlexLeicester
05-04-2014, 04:54 PM
Fantastic result
How many Alex fans were there?
What was it like?
Sounds like the 'right' Alex turned up. Please send us some details.

alexmick
05-04-2014, 05:02 PM
They keep on surprising us, don't they?

Three points to keep our season alive. Pity that the other results did not quite go in our favour, but that is par for the course at this stage of the season. Could have done with Oldham slipping up. Plus draws between Colchester & Tranmere / Shrewsbury & Stevenage would have been preferable to the wins. Could go to the wire at this rate. Stevenage managed to hold Wolves last time out...can we go one better next Saturday?

Proggs
05-04-2014, 05:23 PM
11 points ahead of st half 24 points.

Wolves is a bonus.

Shrews was a draw so a win takes pressure off if we can.

Colchester, Brizzle and Preston were all wins!

V Shrews win, V Colchester win and draw with Preston will do it...

somersetcrewe
05-04-2014, 05:48 PM
Strange game in many respects.
They were a constant threat going forward - but took off who I and many others thought was their best player, Billy Clarke.

Byron was our best outlet, tormenting their left back. Chuks wasn't on it today but I'll forgive him that. Duggy was sound under the barrage of high balls but Mark Ellis was immense - my MOTM by far!

Garrett still worries me under the high ball but I still back him cos he's ours! Made a great save 1st half. And Grant continues to be critical to our midfield, another energising display.

But a word for Liam Nolan. Looked like a little boy lost for 70 minutes - and then something clicked! A storming last 20 could be the making of him.

Well timed and well chosen subs today too. Pleased for Brad - but the ball seemed to take an age to go in! Great result!! :D

I've been hinting it for a while but now I'll say it - Crawley for the drop anyone?
As well as they played today, they are now up against it with lots of games to play. I fear f

Alexmaverick
05-04-2014, 06:06 PM
A great result.220 Railwaymen present.

alexmick
05-04-2014, 07:39 PM
[quote="somersetcrewe"]Strange game in many respects.
They were a constant threat going forward - but took off who I and many others thought was their best player, Billy Clarke.

Byron was our best outlet, tormenting their left back. Chuks wasn't on it today but I'll forgive him that. Duggy was sound under the barrage of high balls but Mark Ellis was immense - my MOTM by far!

Garrett still worries me under the high ball but I still back him cos he's ours! Made a great save 1st half. And Grant continues to be critical to our midfield, another energising display.

But a word for Liam Nolan. Looked like a little boy lost for 70 minutes - and then something clicked! A storming last 20 could be the making of him.

Well timed and well chosen subs today too. Pleased for Brad - but the ball seemed to take an age to go in! Great result!! :D

I've been hinting it for a while but now I'll say it - Crawley for the drop anyone?
As well as they played today, they are now

grestyraider7
05-04-2014, 10:38 PM
Drove to the game today..430 mile round trip!!

Ellis with a big performance, and Duggie too, Byron our man of the match for me, Ben with a blinding save first half and very quick off his line on a couple of occasions-nice header away in the 2nd half!

It went crazy when Brad scored..inspired substitution!! So glad to be there..the day we finally won in Blue!!

somersetcrewe
06-04-2014, 07:37 AM
Crawley could well have the jitters if the next two tough matches do not go their way. First of all they face Brentford (away) and then visit MK Dons.

Indeed, they are right in it now.
John Gregory post-match: "It's probably the amount of games which has started to tell on one or two" - he ain't kidding!!!
And with their top scorer out with a dodgy ham-string, nervous times ahead at the CheckATrade.com!! (what a charismatic for a football ground! XD)

VindePays2009
06-04-2014, 02:57 PM
Don't see this argument about Crawley being in danger at all.

They had 46 points after 33 games, only needing a win and two draws to stumble over the survival line. Even if, five games later, they are no further on, who can doubt that their losing run will come to an end and that they will glean the necessary points?

Steve Claridge, on the FL show, talked about us and the Shrews as having survival possibilities, whereas it was Colchester who had the 'dropper' look about them. I agree.

Few would think that we will get anything out of Wolves, and it would be acceptable to come away from the Greenhous with a point and keep our local opposition at bay (though it will undoubtedly be tough), but we simply HAVE to beat Colchester at home.

DGFG
06-04-2014, 03:14 PM
the fact that nobody expects us to get anything against Wolves may help us.

I doubt they'll just sit back and let us come to them so the pattern of the game may resemble an away game - not impossible that we'll be able to hit them on the counter attack in the manner of our success on the road recently.

Wolves have been beaten by Crawley and dropped points to Stevenage and Shrewsbury recently.

We must not concede early though.

somersetcrewe
07-04-2014, 07:08 AM
Don't see this argument about Crawley being in danger at all.

Don't worry, VdP, I'm a lone ranger on this one!
But I stand by it because of their exceptional circumstances. History always suggests fixture back-logs are bad.
And theirs is awful with Sat-Tues-Sat ongoing since 22nd Feb, and will go on right to the end of the season. They have a small squad, they are the 2nd lowest scorers in the division and their top scorer is out with a ham-string problem.

But you're right, one win will probably lead them back to safety - but with trips to Brentford and MK pending, I can't see that coming any time soon and where will they be after those 2 games?

VindePays2009
07-04-2014, 08:34 PM
Thanks for that, Somerset. I wonder if the tide is beginning, just beginning, to turn for us.

I know that the development squad games are not a true indicator of hope for the future, with players dating back to the Duke having been involved, but to go through a season only losing to the eventual winners of the group, Huddersfield (and perhaps Coventry? result not yet in), is an awesome achievement.

And I was most interested in what you had to say about Liam Nolan eventually becoming a player, backed up by Bakes's comments on the OS.

Remembering how Vaughany was 'hooked' at HT in his debut game against Blackburn Rovers, which set him back for a good while, one has to applaud the gamble Steve and Bakes took in allowing the lad to play himself into form. This kind of act of faith far outweighs the 'impact substitions' which may or may not come off.

alexmick
08-04-2014, 09:55 AM
The under-21s won yesterday (2-0) against Sheff Wed and progress through to the play-offs. They now face Cardiff in the George Evans scored the ***** goals.

Great problems typing this with the annoying advert at the side of the page flickering constantly.

MikeSB
08-04-2014, 11:13 PM
See they got beat again tonight..

That's 6 on the bounce now they have lost..

alexmick
13-04-2014, 08:03 PM
They finally won yesterday and now on 49 points, they look pretty safe to me. Forget about us catching Crawley and hope they do us a big favour on Tuesday night and trounce Tranmere.