PDA

View Full Version : what...

redgreggie
06-04-2014, 01:28 PM
what inconsequential early memories do you have that really evoke feelings to you..

here's a few of mine...

remember laying down on warm summers days, in the rec in Dronfield Woodhouse and getting the scent of something really pleasant, tracked it down to these plants that were growing wild through the chain fencing around the tennis court, they were sweet peas.

It was a memory that enticed me into growing sweet peas in the recent past.

remember these pictures that my grandma had in her house.
it was a gloomy back to back on the main road in Dronfield, my gran, well, actually she was my great gran...the room was a 'gloomy room', it had an open range in the room where you did all your cooking and boiling water for tea, there was a single gas mantle for lighting, though things were best left in the 'gloom', not much to see...except to me these pictures.
The pictures were I believe of Redcoats in Scotland, some I believe were on horseback.

another striking memory, again links me to D

Rotherhamowl10
10-04-2014, 02:38 PM
Childhood memories are the best Ray. I feel sorry for this generation of kids whose idea of fun is a video game console.

I was lucky enough that my house backed on to a huge field, beyond that was a forest and a golf course. The six week holidays would see me go out at 10 in the morning with a football, and not come home until it got dark. My old man would stand in the back garden calling me for my tea, I could be miles away but I would still hear the loud mouthed baboon XD

Building dens, man hunt, running through the farmer's field and him shooting us with a rice gun; didn't half hurt if he got you round the legs.

The golf course has a driving range at the side of it. They used to let you have a go for free if you picked up all the balls that had gone over the fence and bring them back...me and my mates then used to hit them straight back over again. One day a mate of mine climbed over the fence to get one, and the caretaker chased us all the way back to my house...my dad didn't ha

aussieowl
10-04-2014, 11:30 PM
Great posts you two...yeah it's funny how certain memories flood back, could be sight sound or smell that triggers them...my grandma used to take me to Midland station to watch the trains, if we walked over the wooden bridges when a train was passing the steam used to come through the cracks in the floor, I used to think that was brilliant.

Also loved getting the old tram from Abbeydale to Millhouses Park, spent many a day at Millhouses, Meersbrook Park was another favourite, my dad built me a sledge & we'd race it down the hill when it snowed, in the Summer we used to ride to Meersbrook on me dads motorbike, the dog sat in between us & loved it, brilliant view across Sheffield from Meersbrook, with the Arts Tower & Hallamshire Hospital dominating the skyline.

When I was at Abbeydale Juniors we had to run up Sandygate Road to play football in the fields up there, didn't matter what the weather was like we still had to go, I remember one lad called Everton, he'd just come over from th

Rotherhamowl10
11-04-2014, 08:49 AM
[quote="aussieowl"]Great posts you two...yeah it's funny how certain memories flood back, could be sight sound or smell that triggers them...my grandma used to take me to Midland station to watch the trains, if we walked over the wooden bridges when a train was passing the steam used to come through the cracks in the floor, I used to think that was brilliant.

Also loved getting the old tram from Abbeydale to Millhouses Park, spent many a day at Millhouses, Meersbrook Park was another favourite, my dad built me a sledge & we'd race it down the hill when it snowed, in the Summer we used to ride to Meersbrook on me dads motorbike, the dog sat in between us & loved it, brilliant view across Sheffield from Meersbrook, with the Arts Tower & Hallamshire Hospital dominating the skyline.

When I was at Abbeydale Juniors we had to run up Sandygate Road to play football in the fields up there, didn't matter what the weather was like we still had to go, I remember one

redgreggie
11-04-2014, 09:45 AM
great memories chaps...one of the benefits of age...

most of my spare time, when not delivering newspapers, was playing football in the rec, rarely cricket, never rugby...

as I have mentioned before trainspotting was also a love, the engines were so magnificent, but also it was just getting away, not far from home, just at the embankment at the bottom of Stubley Hollow, but far enough away from parents to be like day release.

with pockets stuffed with a few sandwiches, usually cheese and tomato, the bread in those days (oh, I made a lovely loaf yesterday, and an apple crumble)...was so good that the sandwiches weren't just a soggy mess when you opened them hours later, not like they would be with today's bread.

yes, trainspotting was a joy.

open fields surrounded where I lived, I could walk for miles and miles from the front of our house, blackberry picking in summer, walks to the wood, or going on our bike and riding round the wood, we'd often pick a bunch of bluebells for mum.

Rotherhamowl10
11-04-2014, 01:11 PM
[quote="redgreggie"]great memories chaps...one of the benefits of age...

most of my spare time, when not delivering newspapers, was playing football in the rec, rarely cricket, never rugby...

as I have mentioned before trainspotting was also a love, the engines were so magnificent, but also it was just getting away, not far from home, just at the embankment at the bottom of Stubley Hollow, but far enough away from parents to be like day release.

with pockets stuffed with a few sandwiches, usually cheese and tomato, the bread in those days (oh, I made a lovely loaf yesterday, and an apple crumble)...was so good that the sandwiches weren't just a soggy mess when you opened them hours later, not like they would be with today's bread.

yes, trainspotting was a joy.

open fields surrounded where I lived, I could walk for miles and miles from the front of our house, blackberry picking in summer, walks to the wood, or going on our bike and riding round the wood,

redgreggie
11-04-2014, 01:42 PM
''Those things were spitting out all kinds of crap in those days.''

that's why I went on mentholated cigs...you could smell the sulphur (I think that's what it was) all the way through Dronfield when the small steelworks were up and running...when we made things!

no, my passion for trains went ages ago, you're right they all look the same now...boxes...

much the same with Merchant ships I'm afraid, they too use to be very individualistic, now they're just a hull stacked from top to bottom with containers...passenger ships...well they're just fallen over tower blocks...a phucking eyesore...

progress, yuk.

ray...in Batley.

redgreggie
06-05-2014, 12:35 PM
summer holidays from school...always looked forward to them, chance to smoke a few more fags and get up to a bit of mischief

AND

potato picking...aaaargh.

even though I had three paper rounds extra money was always welcome.

there were numerous farms in Dronfield Woodhouse, always looking for potato pickers in the season...which conveniently fell in the 6 weeks holiday.

always sounded a good idea...

got to the field, the tractor would come along, turn a row over and off we'd go, nowt to it...well the first couple of rows that is...

weren't long until you were praying for dinner time to come along, your back would be breaking long before that...

dinner'd come, only snag is you'd have the afternoon to do, then some smart 4rse'd find a rotten potato and throw it at you...boy did they stink.

yes, potato picking...not so attractive.

then I joined the Merchant Navy, catering, after my 6 weeks training in Gravesend I joined a tanker, the Clutha River, asked the cook, my boss, what he

redgreggie
06-05-2014, 01:24 PM
cigarette brands...long since gone...

Nelson

Passing Cloud

Piccadilly

ray...in Batley.