PDA

View Full Version : 8pts needed for safety?

PAULCAFC
06-04-2014, 07:37 PM
Out of the last 5 games, is it still on as we surely need to beat Wolves Saturday IMO, can we do it? Any comments?

Alexmaverick
06-04-2014, 08:00 PM
We don't necessarily have to beat Wolves,though clearly it would be a massive boost to our chances if wr did.

Dobbo65
06-04-2014, 08:36 PM
2 most important games to win are Shrews & Col Utd as it also stops them picking up points. Seems that the bottom 6 / 7 teams are playing each other each week so no surprise yesterday when teams around us bagged wins.

If, big If, but those 2 wins and a draw might, just might, be enough ?

Mojofilter
07-04-2014, 05:51 AM
We don't NEED to beat Wolves because we've got 5 games left and won't need 15 points.

Anything we pick up against them would be a bonus - which I can conceivably see happening. At least they won't come to defend a point which is a tactic we seem to struggle with.

KennyLuntsFanClub
07-04-2014, 09:32 AM
There must be a good chance that Bristol City will be safe (and therefore have nothing to play for) before our penultimate game of the season, and ditto Preston NE (already there in the play-offs) for the final game on Saturday 3rd May?
The games against Shrewsbury and Colchester appear to be the key, though we said that about Stevenage, Oldham, Notts County and Coventry.

alexmick
07-04-2014, 09:47 AM
Wolves only need 6 points (I think) to achieve promotion. They will be going full out to beat us and so perhaps if we defend well (will Steve play an extra centre half?), then maybe we can hit them on the break.

I am concerned that our inferior goal difference will be crucial at the end of this season, and how cruel would that be if we were relegated on that. Most of those big hits came in the first part of the campaign, and we seem to have steadied the ship somewhat since Xmas. However, it is imperative that even in defeat on Saturday, the Alex keep the score down to an absolute minimum, with the possible, but unlikely chance that we can get even with just one of those rivals. I reckon a draw would be a fantastic result and do us just fine against the Wolves. Shrewsbury and Stevenage managed to hold them and Crawley achieved a victory. It is going to be tough, but with Crewe, you never know. Remember Preston away and Sheffield at home? Miracles do happen from time to time.

DGFG
07-04-2014, 10:35 AM
Rotherham play twice this week before we host Wolves.

If Rotherham don't get at least four points from those two games, Wolves can virtually clinch promotion by beating us because their goal difference is so superior.

If Rotherham don't win either of their next two, Wolves can ensure promotion mathematically by beating us.

somersetcrewe
07-04-2014, 10:45 AM
As Pulis kept saying last season at Stoke, to their fans' annoyance: "this is our bonus game!" - and in a situation like this, (Wolves), he'd be right!

What will be will be.
Wins against Colchester & Shrewsbury are far more important and I'm sure that would do.
8 pts for safety? - guaranteed in my view but I think 6 (against the right opposition of course) will do the job.

AlexLeicester
07-04-2014, 10:45 AM
At this stage, and with our goal difference, I just think we should go out and attack from the off at every game.
We've little to lose and a massive amount to gain.

I'm basing that on the 'tactical' way we have tried to play using players who have proved to have some skill and enthusiasm, but less tactical awareness. Just go for it every game.

COYRs

DGFG
07-04-2014, 10:55 AM
Will be enhanced media coverage on Sat.

An opportunity to remind the wider footballing world what we're capable of.

...and then relax by watching Nick Powell tear Arsenal's defence apart in the semi final at Wembley. :D