PDA

View Full Version : The Groundsman's view

jwok
07-04-2014, 08:43 AM
There's a fascinating & detailed interview with Mikey Ellis our groundsman at the link.

His explanation of the jobs involved in maintaining the pitch might cause some critics think again.

Take some time & read the article. - view external link (http://www.pitchcare.com/magazine/motherwell-football-club-me-and-my-shadow.html)

wellowell
07-04-2014, 11:27 AM
Very interesting article

sieb1886
07-04-2014, 08:27 PM
Sounds like we've more Shadows than Sir Cliff !
A thankless task being a FP groundsman these days it seems. That said, makes you realise the assistance wee Andy Russell had when able to get natural UV rays on the grass all those years back. B)

Motherwellboy
07-04-2014, 10:22 PM
Good find and an excellent read , thanks !

Wellup4it
08-04-2014, 07:34 AM
A good article. It sounds to me like we have only limited influence over the pitch and all we can realistically do is to relay or reseed it every few years. Factors such as climate, topography and superficial geology are beyond our control.

If I understand it correctly, Fir Park is built on clay deposits and it would be totally unrealistic to excavate those down to rockhead depth.

Given the slope down to Fir Park from the east, I suspect that if our drainage was to be "too successful" all we do would be to drain the surrounding area of Knowetop and Dalzell Estate - presumably then the drains would not cope. As this phenomena was explained to me "a bit like taking a spoonful of sugar out of a bowl full of it."

bheron
08-04-2014, 09:00 AM
It just re-enforces the need to move to a new stadium.

Unfortunately (Many may say,fortunately) this is not going to happen.

Wellup4it
08-04-2014, 02:42 PM
It just re-enforces the need to move to a new stadium.

Unfortunately (Many may say,fortunately) this is not going to happen.

Agreed, it can't come quick enough for me.