PDA

View Full Version : The Giant Pogba - The Verdict

Crewe313
07-04-2014, 10:36 AM
I was interested what people's thoughts are on Pogba because it seems he splits opinions.

I personally do not rate him. He has no speed or the ability to read what is happening in the game. It always seems half his goals come off his right butt cheek or shin and seems to score when we are already 2 or 3 up rather than when its 0-0.

However I do think he seems to have a good attitude and the team like him in the squad. I think perhaps his role is better being an impact sub rather than starting 11. I would even say that Oliver offers alot more and hopefully next year will be given the chance to kick on.

AlexLeicester
07-04-2014, 10:56 AM
I think several people are being a little bit unfair.
He had a career-threatening injury that put him out of the squad - and the game - for a long time. When he gets back he is expected, after a short time, to be as fast and skilful as he was prior to the injury. Getting back to a very high standard is very difficult and some do not manage it at all.

I think this season is a wipe-out for Pogs and, once he has spent the summer working with the 'new' squad, he will be back to his best.

fatfakir
07-04-2014, 12:12 PM
Some short memories if people are knocking Pogba already - leading scorer last season, crocked in pre-season and out for four months or so, scored the opener at the Vale...

Yes, he hasn't shown quite the form of last season but no surprise given his serious injury and the weight of expectation after last year. He'll come good again before then end of this season and during next.

somersetcrewe
07-04-2014, 02:03 PM
I would even say that Oliver offers alot more and hopefully next year will be given the chance to kick on.

Oliver is a non-league striker in a L1 team I'm afraid. Pogs any day of the week for me ... although maybe not as a winger! ;D

PAULCAFC
07-04-2014, 02:32 PM
Saw his brother playing for Juve last week on the box, GIVE HIM TIME I SAY!

Crewe313
07-04-2014, 02:34 PM
I'm sorry this form of last year. Look at the goals that were scored and when they were scored. Not often match defining goals and often from less than a yard out. I do appreciate this year is a right off for him, but I was not impressed with what I saw last year. 14 goals is completely misleading. You also have to understand we were a form team and Murphy putting things on a plate. When you know you are a class act is when you score key goals and often when you receive little service. Ashton Prime example.

I think at Crewe we have been spoiled with Strikers and we can recognise when we have one who is good enough. Pogba is not one of those.

I even heard pace being mentioned. What pace? Oliver is debatable because he hasn't shown to much but hasn't had the opportunities of the likes of Pogba.

IMO he will be someone we perserver with for 2-3 seasons, realise he is not up to it and he will move on to lower league 2/ Conference.

alexmick
07-04-2014, 04:11 PM
Some short memories if people are knocking Pogba already - leading scorer last season, crocked in pre-season and out for four months or so, scored the opener at the Vale...

Yes, he hasn't shown quite the form of last season but no surprise given his serious injury and the weight of expectation after last year. He'll come good again before then end of this season and during next.

People are not knocking Pogba or being too hard on the lad, certainly not I. The majority have mentioned the awful injuries he experienced, not only last April, but also on the final game of pre-season, and that can have a damaging effect on a player at any level. That does not say that because he scored 16 goals last season, that he should now be an automatic first team choice at present. He seems to get selected even when he is off the pace, although when Byron or Brad have a poor spell, they are automatically dropped. I cannot fault his enthusiasm r