PDA

View Full Version : The numbers game

dazlhigh
07-04-2014, 02:40 PM
When I was reading a book about Kilmarnock FC the other day - it belongs to our son-in-law, honest - I saw that when they played at Fir Park during their league-winning season in the Sixties the crowd was 4098. That was fifty years ago. My assumptions that a) crowds were much bigger then and b( that there's been a relentless drift away over the past twenty years might need another look. Maybe we bottomed out longer ago than we thought?

mix106
07-04-2014, 03:18 PM
When I was reading a book about Kilmarnock FC the other day - it belongs to our son-in-law, honest - I saw that when they played at Fir Park during their league-winning season in the Sixties the crowd was 4098. That was fifty years ago. My assumptions that a) crowds were much bigger then and b( that there's been a relentless drift away over the past twenty years might need another look. Maybe we bottomed out longer ago than we thought?

I've been going for over 35 years and our average crowds were never that great. When I started in the 70s we regularly averaged between 4 and 6000 for home games. I remember in the 80s going to Parkhead and watching us play in front of 14000 fans. Sure the crowds aren't great now but they weren't great then either.