PDA

View Full Version : Was "Delay No More" a serious error of judgement?

spionkop
08-04-2014, 10:40 AM
I have been doing a bit of research on the reaction to the phrase in China. Whilst it is now used as the trademark slogan of the Hong Kong chain, "Goods of Desire" the founder of the firm, Douglas Young, admitted in an interview in the Hong Kong Standard that when introduced in 2003, the company hit a major speedbump, a "disaster" as Young described it, when its sub-brand mall "Delay No More" failed to click with the public and caused the company a huge loss.

"The loss cost us very dearly ... these are the lessons we've learned," the designer said.

"Delay No More," a homonym of an extremely offensive Cantonese profanity espouses Young's "anti- conservative stance."

Whilst the fashionistas are happy to sport the slogan on their t-shirts it would appear it still causes deep offence amongst the older and more conservative Chinese populace. Whilst Pannu's reaction was way over the top it is to the latter group that BIHL are trying to appeal to raise funds. In retrospect therefore I

gazulu
08-04-2014, 01:29 PM
Maybe this is true Spion but they are in our country and they do not understand us so they are insulting us. Most Blues fans have no idea what upsets these people but they ought to know they've caused problems here and they will never be forgiven for it. I'm sick of being lectured by people from thousands of miles away in my own back yard. Are they so pig headed they think we will change our minds, once you upset the fans of a club there is no going back! KRO

spionkop
08-04-2014, 03:19 PM
I agree completely Gaz, but the point that I was trying to make is that it might also have deterred other Chinese, who may have been interested in buying the club, from investing. Culture differences, as you say, can cause unforeseen problems.
Rg

eoin17
08-04-2014, 07:07 PM
A huge part of the problem is the appalling communication between the Board and supporters. A "Here's the strategy we're embarked on," approach would give some credibility to the board's actions. As it stands, they remain for me a broken brand.

aKROKiwi
10-04-2014, 08:50 AM
Inclined to agree with you Eoin, but are they actually worse than Wheldon?

bolt
10-04-2014, 09:25 AM
but not the Kumar's

Wheldon,Kumars,****os,Yeung

What have they all go in common-LOL

viperblue
11-04-2014, 07:15 AM
none of these except the Hong Kong Fus
would have made the cardinal error of not having 2 tier contacts in case of relegation
KRO

aKROKiwi
11-04-2014, 09:48 AM
Nice one Bolt like your thinking XD XD XD