PDA

View Full Version : 3rd or 4th

wellin
08-04-2014, 08:18 PM
In my opinion we'll struggle to reel in aberdeen for 2nd after they beat hibs last night to go 3 clear. I thought we would have to be at least 3 clear in 2nd place going into the split to have a chance of finishing 2nd. I also think it could be very tight for third. I would to have liked to see us hold at least a 7 point lead over utd going into the post split games considering they have a far superior goal difference. Maybe that crazy last 5 minutes at st mirren could come back to haunt us.

Wellup4it
08-04-2014, 09:59 PM
I think second spot is now beyond us...its now out of our hands. 3rd spot...I'd say o its 50/50. A few games could come back to haunt us - the late defeat to Killie and Aberdeen's late and illegal equaliser a few weeks ago.

dazlhigh
08-04-2014, 10:01 PM
The possible combinations are endless! If one of the top six wins all five games then none of the others can get fif**** points. The likeliest team to do that is Celtic, leaving the rest of us with twelve points max to get. Throw in Scottish Cup involvement and a couple of teams might have some awkward team selections to ponder. I agree that we'll do well to catch Aberdeen - though I did read in the paper that McInnes had said that finishing second wasn't the be-all and end-all - but if we can win two of our home games we'll be hard to catch for third. We're still right in there!

Wellup4it
09-04-2014, 07:43 AM
I agree that we'll do well to catch Aberdeen - though I did read in the paper that McInnes had said that finishing second wasn't the be-all and end-all - but if we can win two of our home games we'll be hard to catch for third. We're still right in there!

Derek McInnes would say that of course. The difference between 2nd and 3rd place will amount to about Ai200k - Ai250k (apologies the board doesn't like sterling symbols). To Aberdeen that's not a lot of cash, but to us its a sizeable sum.

I reckon we'll pick up a maximum of 6 points after the split. A lot will depend on our injury situation and our result at Tannadice.

firparkloony
09-04-2014, 10:24 AM
2nd would get us into a later round in Europe and as we have never progressed from that stage I don't think this season will be any different. However 3rd would get us in earlier with a team hopefully not as strong as us and with good luck and a following wind we should get through, giving us two trips in Europe which gives us the supporters 2 rather than 1 trips abroad. It would be really good if the 2nd game was against a big team that would fill Fir Park, and hopefully give us a great couple of days away...or even in Englandshire! For that reason I would prefer 3rd, you never know a full house at FP may offset the monies lost by not coming 2nd. Thoughts?
'Mon the 'WELL

Sup3rw3ll
09-04-2014, 01:16 PM
even though the teams results against top six has been poor. the fact that only top six team are playing against each other may create more of a stalemate in our favour.

2nd will only happy if we beat aberdeen and then match their results plus 1 pt. i expect them to beat St.J and ICT, so the crunch games are celtic and utd. probably need to get 3 or 4 wins and a draw to claw back second, which would not have been the case if they had not fecked up against hibs, killie and midden!!! 8 pts dropped there!!!!!

If you had to write off second and look for best results to save third spot; then celtic and aberdeen vs. utd if going our way could see utd pick up zero. Add in a motherwell win vs utd with 3 points to us, and you have utd dropping 9 pts and impossible to catch us.

Therefore, i would say second is very uphill if aberdeen stay on form, but a win against utd and one other team would have 3rd place secured and a credible finish for the team... if aberdeen and celtic do the busin

mix106
09-04-2014, 02:29 PM
2nd would get us into a later round in Europe and as we have never progressed from that stage I don't think this season will be any different. However 3rd would get us in earlier with a team hopefully not as strong as us and with good luck and a following wind we should get through, giving us two trips in Europe which gives us the supporters 2 rather than 1 trips abroad. It would be really good if the 2nd game was against a big team that would fill Fir Park, and hopefully give us a great couple of days away...or even in Englandshire! For that reason I would prefer 3rd, you never know a full house at FP may offset the monies lost by not coming 2nd. Thoughts?
'Mon the 'WELL

In what world does this "full house at fir park" exist?

firparkloony
09-04-2014, 04:24 PM
'Mon the 'WELL

In what world does this "full house at fir park" exist?[/quote]
Note the use of the word "Big" and a team from south of the border. I am confident that in either scenario FP would be at capacity.

steviex
09-04-2014, 04:35 PM
'Mon the 'WELL

Note the use of the word "Big" and a team from south of the border. I am confident that in either sce

firparkloony
09-04-2014, 05:20 PM
'Mon the 'WELL

Note the use of the word "Big" and a team from south of

Wellup4it
09-04-2014, 05:56 PM
If we drew a big European club or an English Premiership club we'd have a full house. Given many Scots fans obsession with top English teams they'd come from far and wide to see one.

steviex
09-04-2014, 07:33 PM
'Mon the 'WELL

Note t

steviex
09-04-2014, 07:35 PM
If we drew a big European club or an English Premiership club we'd have a full house. Given many Scots fans obsession with top English teams they'd come from far and wide to see one.

No we wouldn't anyway its hardly likely to happen, in order to draw some English big guns we'd need to win a tie or even a couple to get out the qualifiers to get into their pot and there is zero chance of that.

Wellup4it
09-04-2014, 08:23 PM

No we wouldn't anyway its hardly likely to happen, in order to draw some English big guns we'd need to win a tie or even a couple to get out the qualifiers to get into their pot and there is zero chance of that.[/quote]

Its not beyond us to win one round and then meet a big gun in the next. We've won such ties before.

dasdeid
10-04-2014, 08:28 AM
The likelihood of M'well progressing into a round where drawn against TOP team is slim and/or non-existent.
Aware Hearts drawn against Spurs but they had/have much larger fan base than ourselves and play out of the capital = Full House + pumped. We have struggled (pumped) early rounds against our Europa opposition with our goal threat only occurring during the warm-up.

If fans wish to dream please continue but facts remain we're phish in Europe and M'well team everyone wants for their team to progress.
European football for M'well is a prize we do not want as financial drain on the club.
The fans respond in acceptable numbers but always come away disappointed.

I've posted before M'well participation in Europe is pointless and only pleasing to the few who wish to travel abroad to watch ... a day out !

Damage been done with recent results Hibs, Kilmarnock and St Mirren and our point cushion evaporated. Have little confidence will win many of our remaining games.
Predict 4th and Aberd

wellowell
10-04-2014, 08:40 AM
Hearts have played both liverpool and spurs in the last few years and i remember a draw recently when man city were 1 of the teams we could have got so its not out of the question we are just unlucky with european draws aberdeen will probably finish 2nd and get drawn against man utd and we will be 3rd and get a danish or norwegian or russian club with no support and no drawing power.

Wellup4it
10-04-2014, 10:01 AM
The likelihood of M'well progressing into a round where drawn against TOP team is slim and/or non-existent.
Aware Hearts drawn against Spurs but they had/have much larger fan base than ourselves and play out of the capital = Full House + pumped.

European football for M'well is a prize we do not want as financial drain on the club.

I've posted before M'well participation in Europe is pointless and only pleasing to the few who wish to travel abroad to watch ... a day out !

In 2012 both ourselves and Hearts were knocked out in the same round; Hearts by Liverpool and ourselves by Levante. Had we drawn Liverpool instead it would have ensured a full house and less travelling costs. We would have made a nice profit.

As for qualifying for Europe you have it wrong. My group and I have travelled to Europe once but we thoroughly enjoy watching sides coming to Fir

dasdeid
10-04-2014, 10:39 AM
Had we drawn Liverpool instead it would have ensured a full house and less travelling costs. We would have made a nice profit.
If only ... the reality we drew unknown opposition and got pumped every time.
Before half-time on the tie was over (pick any 2nd round tie) ... it was torture to watch and not unlucky but outclassed.

Glass half full/empty ... take your choice but for me M'well ventures into Europe will always be short lived.

Point to ponder ...
We played Everton recently (testimonial) who came with full 1st team and much reduced gate entry .. how many turned up ?

wellowell
10-04-2014, 10:49 AM
Your argument goes out the window their im afraid a friendly is totally different from a european game if celtic played benfica eg in a friendly would be lucky to get 15000 but if in champions league would be sold out. I am sure if we were lucky enough to get a big premiership club it would sell out as they would fill away stand and we would fill the rest especially if man utd as they have fans everywhere but the likelyhood of us being lucky enough with that type of draw is very slim.

Sup3rw3ll
10-04-2014, 11:29 AM
OK, the fact are this: Man City won the LC so 6th place in EPL is also now a Europa spot.

5th - play off round (EUQR4) = Everton
6th - third round (EUQR3) = Spurs

Here are the permutations...

Dons win: 3rd - ELQR2, 4th ELQR1
Gers win: 3rd - ELQR2, 4th ELQR1
Utd win & 3rd: No change
St.J win: 3rd - No change

Man U are two points behind Spurs, they may catch them and be in EUQR3 (can't see them catch everton). So unless Dons or Gers win the cup, there is a high probability will be entering europa at round 1. And to be in the draw to get a 'big english club' 2 games will need to be won in europe.

dasdeid
10-04-2014, 03:51 PM
We could bat back hypothetical fixtures all day !
Must dash ... doorbell ... Beyonce at my door looking for tickets should we be drawn Man Utd XD

Sup3rw3ll
10-04-2014, 03:59 PM
Correction:

Team win in 2nd: 3rd - ELQR2, 4th ELQR1
Team win in 3rd: - 4th ELQR1
Team win in 4th: - 3rd ELQR1

Anyway, long road to go... celtic, utd, saints, ict and 'big game for second, which will really just be don fans signing for 90 mins how they already had it in the bag weeks ago' to contend with.

mix106
10-04-2014, 04:05 PM
OK, the fact are this: Man City won the LC so 6th place in EPL is also now a Europa spot.

5th - play off round (EUQR4) = Everton
6th - third round (EUQR3) = Spurs

Here are the permutations...

Dons win: 3rd - ELQR2, 4th ELQR1
Utd win & 3rd: No change
St.J win: 3rd - No change

Man U are two points behind Spurs, they may catch them and be in EUQR3 (can't see them catch everton). So unless Dons or Gers win the cup, there is a high probability will be entering europa at round 1. And to be in the draw to get a 'big english club' 2 games will need to be won in europe.

Exactly point made we would have no chance. There is more chance of me winning the lottery than progressing one round never mind two.

Anyway like some others European footbal leaves me cold. I couldn't care less if we qualify for this money draining non event.

Our chance for glory was on a plate for us domestically , we blew

sieb1886
10-04-2014, 08:28 PM
Not to mention being 2-1 up against St Midden with 4 mins to go ... >:(

Yazz
15-04-2014, 09:06 PM
[quote="dasdeid"]The likelihood of M'well progressing into a round where drawn against TOP team is slim and/or non-existent.
Aware Hearts drawn against Spurs but they had/have much larger fan base than ourselves and play out of the capital = Full House + pumped. We have struggled (pumped) early rounds against our Europa opposition with our goal threat only occurring during the warm-up.

If fans wish to dream please continue but facts remain we're phish in Europe and M'well team everyone wants for their team to progress.

Damage been done with recent results Hibs, Kilmarnock and St Mirren and our point cushion evaporated. Have little confidence will win many

wellowell
16-04-2014, 11:40 AM
I am sure we will 3rd at least as Dundee utd will now have sights on cup final and I remember we played great up to split in 2011 but never won another game after reaching cup final if I remember correctly. The home games against caley and saints will be must win games for this to happen and I am confident we will win them.