PDA

View Full Version : Oscar Pistorius: Guilty or Not Guilty?

Romanis
08-04-2014, 09:58 PM
Sometime back before the trial began I chatted with a South African, and he said it would be a travesty of justice if Pistorius was acquitted.

Although my initial reaction to the shooting was that he was guilty in some form, I was still kinda taken aback by this statement. After all let's have a trial first before we pass judgment.

Now that the trial is underway with Pistorius testifying and soon to be cross-examined, I'm kinda accepting what the guy meant.

Despite his teary testimony and sloppy investigation initially, I just can't seem to buy his story.

I think he's guilty and should be convicted, but dunno if it's murder or manslaughter.

Elite_Pie
09-04-2014, 08:06 AM
Did he know it was her in the toilet?
Did he intend to kill when he fired the gun?

A definite yes to both questions. 100% guilty of murder.

Trickytreesreds
09-04-2014, 09:00 AM
I asked a SA lass I have met, her opinion. She said "guilty as ****", but wouldn't be surprised if he gets off on a technicality.
Apparently, he has many friends in high places and convicting him isn't in their interests.

What a country to live in though. A friend of mine went to work there with his brother in telecomunications. He phoned one night for a chat and told me he had just finished his weeks firearm course?
Apparently, his 9mm Glock is the first thing on the tool belt, before exiting the depot and going up telephone poles.
What a country. A much better place to live. :/

Romanis
09-04-2014, 06:58 PM
Both of you have valid points. I certainly wasn't moved by his sobbing today and refusal to look at Ms Reeva's bloodied head wound photos.

The prosecutor is right to tear into him. From what I gather, including speaking to someone who attended school with Oscar, he's a real a-hole in real life, talking big and threatening people all the time despite his handicap, while projecting a nice guy image to the media.

All this has now been exposed and the prosecutor as Tricky suggests may have a hard time getting his murder conviction, has definitely convicted Oscar in the court of public opinion.

For the victim and her family, this is an important symbol of justice and retribution.

I know of Americans who believe strongly in their right to bear arms, but even they concede that owning a gun is a huge responsibility. You don't fire 4 shots off just like that on another person, even if it were a criminal, when your life is not anywhere close to being in danger.

triz
16-04-2014, 12:31 AM
Guilty as sin. He said he ran up to the bathroom and shouted for reeva to call the police, reeva at the time was yards away in the toilet. Even though he was shouting at the top of his voice for her to call the police and she was yards away, he says she never responded. Pure ****ing shenanigans. Neighbours heard a scream followed by a shot followed by another scream then 3 more shots. he says, she did not scream. He is a maniac and needs locking up.

Romanis
16-04-2014, 08:38 PM
I'm surprised this turd didn't get his defense to argue a case of manslaughter, which would have been a better argument than to deny everything.

He's twisting and turning trying to taper his answers to each and every argument, by everytime keeps making him looking more and more guilty.

I just hope he gets life - I get the sneaky feeling the judge will find him guilty of manslaughter and just impose a less harsh sentence of say 7-10 years. And then this a-hole will almost certainly appeal.

I just hope he gets sent to the worst prison in the SAF system. And somebody makes his life a living hell

Trickytreesreds
17-04-2014, 04:49 PM

I just hope he gets sent to the worst prison in the SAF system. And somebody makes his life a living hell

If he does, then o'dear.
It costs 170000 zar a year to keep a prisoner. A 9mm bullet costs 15 zar. Guess which one they prefer if you try to escape?

FyvieMagpie
26-04-2014, 10:02 AM
[quote="Trickytreesreds", but wouldn't be surprised if he gets off on a technicality.
Apparently, he has many friends in high places and convicting him isn't in their interests.

What a country to live in though. A friend of mine went to work there with his brother in telecomunications. He phoned one night for a chat and told me he had just finished his weeks firearm course?
Apparently, his 9mm Glock is the first thing on the tool belt, before exiting the depot and going up telephone poles.

What a country. A much better place to live. :/[/quote]

I did initially have some sympathy for the guy when I tried to think what it would be like for him in his situation and bearing in mind the culture of a country where you have to live with a gun at your bedside. However I have doubts over his claims but suspect that he will get convicted of man slaughter assuming that he can still be found guilt

matreddog
30-04-2014, 05:29 PM
guilty as can be, denied the rest of the world a decent bit of ***** >:(
he wont escape if they take his plastic bits off him
hang him i say >:(

Bologna_reunited
02-05-2014, 05:44 PM
Guilty as sin but bet he walks free - the term bet is being used figuratively EP

Elite_Pie
02-05-2014, 07:07 PM
Wow! We actually agree on this and the 'God save the Queen' thread.

I'm starting to get a bit worried.