PDA

View Full Version : Boxing Day Massacre ('79)

Ginger_Potts
09-04-2014, 11:46 AM
Ey, did ye guter Hillsboro ? Y'now on Boxin Day, Near 50,000 tickets selt and Utd theer to play, Their lot stood on't Lane End,we a'lot stood on Kop, Thi made all row a'for kick-off, a'thought thid never stop, Then a'ht thi cum Blue 'Eroes, wi Big Jack and 'Appy 'Arri, Thi went ter middle, waved all round,they give Ref ball to carry, Wi dint arf rort an' jump a'baht, a' bumped into this fella, E ses to me "Who's ar No 3 and where's that bloke Sabella?", Then thi kicked off, ooh it were good, yer should see Wednesday play, Boulder, Smith an' No3, yer'd thought thi were away !, They brought this Goalie, whatsisname, thi said 'e were a gud'un, He dropped the ball twice and then fell 'or - my mate said 'es a puddin', All first half they kept it up,but they just couldn't score, A' ses to mate,their leavin' it late,a'thought 'e were gunna roar !, Then Spider Man kem dahn left wing, left two men for dead, E let fly wi' that right foot; twenty yards they sed, M

braggyowl
09-04-2014, 01:11 PM
haha Brilliant that ginger. :star:

And it only seems like yesterday...You're right mate, we're getting old! :D

rossendaleareaclaret
09-04-2014, 04:30 PM
Yorkshire t0sser

aussieowl
10-04-2014, 12:29 AM
haha Brilliant that ginger. :star:

And it only seems like yesterday...You're right mate, we're getting old! :D

Other than the game what are your best memories of that day.

My dad went with me, we sat in the North Stand & it was the first game he'd been to in 20/30 years, he's a Blade but he was so happy for me that we'd won, on the way out we were running up Herries Road & I tripped & ripped my brand new Xmas jumper..XD

Also back in the pub on Howard Street, The Globe just to be clear..;), soz Blades I know we're not allowed in town, it was brilliant & to be fair the United fans that were there took the banter in good spirit.

braggyowl
10-04-2014, 02:24 PM
We were at the top of the Kop under our famous (famous for bulbs missing XD ) scoreboard..

The thing I remember most was when the first goal went in we finished half way down, still celebrating whilst being taken by the Kop sway...

Loved it on the Kop in those days..And if you didn't feel warm p!ss down your leg on a freezing cold October night, you weren't a proper Kopite! XD XD

braggyowl
10-04-2014, 02:25 PM
Yorkshire t0sser

What's your problem d!ck splash?

Ginger_Potts
10-04-2014, 03:43 PM
I'm a proud Derbyshire tOsser , tOsser. Hey Bragg, how old were you ? Me, a long haired Nnnnnnnnnine****...seems like yesterday dammit. I just remember been peeshed off,cos I couldn't stand in my usual spot, turned up at the usual time !!!!!!!

braggyowl
11-04-2014, 02:07 PM
haha...I was only fif**** mate..But went all over the country with my mates and my brother in law watching Wednesday.

Wouldn't dream of letting my lad go to an away match at that age tbh but things were so different then.

Been watching The Owls for 46 years now Ginger, from the age of four...My lads beat me though.
I first took him when he was only three, so done my by a year bless him.

Just wanna get this bleedin horrible season out of the way now and start afresh...And hope we get off to a better start next season with some early wins..
I reckon we'll do alright with Stuart Gray as well..He's got his head screwed on knows what he's doing. :)

blades58
11-04-2014, 03:30 PM
Only thing I can remember stood on Lepps Lane was about 30 quid in two pence pieces zinging their way towards that anchor Curran when the 4th went in XD

I was surprised the tight b'stard didn't try picking the f'kers up :O XD

braggyowl
11-04-2014, 03:37 PM
aaahhh So that's what he was doing then 58 when he sank to his knees at the Lepps after his goal with his arms aloft...Catching the 2ps...XD XD (whilst he was thinking "take that yer B@stards" of course)..XD

Ginger_Potts
11-04-2014, 05:05 PM
I don't think that crowd for a 3rd tier match has been beaten or ever will be.
Makes you think what potential crowds we can get when we get back up top.
Bragg...it's my 40th year full time ,this year...had a dad that wasn't that bothered & living in Stix annall. But my lad was lifted over turnstile as a babe to compensate >;) .

braggyowl
12-04-2014, 11:34 AM
Nice one Ginger. :star:

Worsleyblade
14-04-2014, 10:17 AM
This shows what a sad, sad bunch you are. You live in 1979 despite the fact that since then United have had the better of the derbies including a double in 1991/2.

hirstyboywonder
14-04-2014, 10:30 AM
Only thing I can remember stood on Lepps Lane was about 30 quid in two pence pieces zinging their way towards that anchor Curran when the 4th went in XD

I was surprised the tight b'stard didn't try picking the f'kers up :O XD

That is a considerable amount of 2ps! Considering Curran came away from this unscathed the accuracy of your fans must have mirrored that of your team.

quixOWL
14-04-2014, 10:31 AM
Well you see that's not true Worsley...
Since 1979, and including that seasons results, there have been 29 meetings, in cup and league of which we have won 11..drawn 11 and lost 7

hirstyboywonder
14-04-2014, 10:36 AM
This shows what a sad, sad bunch you are. You live in 1979 despite the fact that since then United have had the better of the derbies including a double in 1991/2.

So why do your fans still sing about the match? It is still significant and certainly more recent than a victory for you lot in a Wembley game.

Still, at least you have another big day out defeat to remember, gallant losers much like Wycombe were when they flew the flag in the semi-finals for the 3rd division.

Oh and by the way, are you sure that you have won more competitive Sheffield derbies than we have since 1979? - view external link (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steel_City_derby)

Rotherhamowl10
14-04-2014, 11:03 AM

So why do your fans still sing about the match? It is still significant and certainly more recent than a victory for you lot in a Wembley game.

Still, at least you have another big day out defeat to remember, gallant losers much like Wycombe were when they flew the flag in the semi-finals for the 3rd division.

Oh and by the way, are you sure that you have won more competitive Sheffield derbies than we have since 1979?[/quote]

Spot on Hirsty.

Claims we live in 1979, then goes on to talk about 1991 XD XD

Wordleyblades - you sing about losing 4-0 in 1979 every game. I feel embarrassed for you when I hear you singing it, it's still a big mystery to me as to why you sing a song to remind yourselves you lost 4-0 to

Worsleyblade
14-04-2014, 02:36 PM
The ONLY good thing about Porktalk is you're guarenteed a good laugh from the bitter Pigs who come on here.

braggyowl
14-04-2014, 02:46 PM
The ONLY good thing about Porktalk is you're guarenteed a good laugh from the bitter Pigs who come on here.

WEMBERLEEEE, WEMBERLEEEE, WE'RE THE FAMOUS SHEFF UTD AND WE LOST AT WEMBERLEEE...WEMBERLEEE...

braggyowl
14-04-2014, 02:51 PM
Get over it Worsley...Just cos you lost you come on here and try and take it out on us...The boxing day song yesterday was very cringeworthy though mate...Like Roth says, you're just reminding everyone that we hammered you 4-0 in '79..:O

LordCharles
18-04-2014, 05:48 PM
rather spiffing account old bean ...
I wir dere as well.

LordCharles
18-04-2014, 05:50 PM
Out of morning/moaning are weMrs Worseblade?

Ginger_Potts
18-04-2014, 06:06 PM
G.day me Lord,the wee Piglet's will be in mourning a lot more mornings when they realise they are stuck in Div 3 for another year.

banno
19-04-2014, 07:36 PM
Get over it Worsley...Just cos you lost you come on here and try and take it out on us...The boxing day song yesterday was very cringeworthy though mate...Like Roth says, you're just reminding everyone that we hammered you 4-0 in '79..:O

and while we're reminiscing, everyone who was there will remember that song ringing around the ground at the final whistle, sung by THE WEDNESDAY of course

http://i62.tinypic.com/2mrfn6x.png

braggyowl
20-04-2014, 01:22 PM
Oh yes. :star:

Ginger_Potts
20-04-2014, 03:41 PM
Oh yes:star: Right in front of the Piglet's...XD

Owler
20-04-2014, 07:40 PM

You should look things like this up before posting.

You're just like the toy town fans, can only remember games you've won and any defeats are erased from the mind. :D

Katchouro
20-04-2014, 11:04 PM
http://i61.tinypic.com/21obg9s.jpg

aussieowl
21-04-2014, 12:48 AM

Had to look up Baldrick cos his escaped me, then Tony Robinson which lead to Time Team & then...I got it.

braggyowl
22-04-2014, 12:09 PM
Still hurts dunnit Katch...All these years on..

HARK NOW HEAR, THE WEDNESDAY SING, UNITED RAN AWAY...
AND WE WILL FIGHT, FORVER MORE, BECAUSE OF BOXING DAY...

BDM 4-0.

Katchouro
22-04-2014, 10:22 PM

Way before my time braggy.

I do vividly remember the Bobby Davison double derby though. I'd ask Tony Robinson and the Time Team to look it up for me but you lot seem to have them on speed dial. ;)

aussieowl
23-04-2014, 01:44 AM
Just wondering what the permitted length of time is for recollecting memories on footymad...do we just suit us sens or what...Katch, seeing as you've just took on the position of the Keeper of Sticks in addition to your long held job as Goal Post Shifter, maybe you'd also like to be the arbitrator of memories to be held & discussed...jobs yours if tha wants it..;)

aussieowl
23-04-2014, 02:04 AM
Speaking of memories...my first ever memory of Hillsborough is spilling a whole cup of Bovril down the back of some bloke in the North Stand in the early 60's...can't really remember who we were playing or what the score was, maybe Spurs...my Uncle wasn't best pleased about the Bovril, that much I can remember..only thing I can recall from the game itself is John Fantham running about.

braggyowl
23-04-2014, 05:13 AM

Way before my time braggy.

I do vividly remember the Bobby Davison double derby though. I'd ask Tony Robinson and the Time Team to look it up for me but you lot seem to have them on speed dial. ;)[/quote]

Nar, can't remember that one at all Katch..

XD

Rotherhamowl10
23-04-2014, 09:33 AM
Just wondering what the permitted length of time is for recollecting memories on footymad...do we just suit us sens or what...Katch, seeing as you've just took on the position of the Keeper of Sticks in addition to your long held job as Goal Post Shifter, maybe you'd also like to be the arbitrator of memories to be held & discussed...jobs yours if tha wants it..;)

XD XD XD

braggyowl
23-04-2014, 01:52 PM
XD XD tickled me anall that XD

banno
23-04-2014, 04:06 PM

are they looking for the pigs last trophy?
is the one in the blue sabella?

30+ years on and its still the most famous derby game.

Katchouro
23-04-2014, 08:49 PM

Would I!!!! Minutes into the gig and I'm already drunk on the power.

In all seriousness aussie you must be embarrassed about threads like this that mean nowt to anyone born after 1975. Plenty for you to talk about, your poor defence, Auntie-New-He proving the boo boys wrong, summer targets, Mandaric's ridiculous target of a top 10 finish.

Instead you're moping on about the past and banno's resorted to starting threads about ****ing Ched Evans.

hoothoot
23-04-2014, 09:11 PM

In all seriousness aussie you must be embarrassed about threads like this that mean nowt to anyone born after 1975. Plenty for you to talk about, your poor defence, Auntie-New-He proving the boo boys wrong, summer targets, Mandaric's ridiculous target of a top 10 finish.

Instead you're moping on about the past and banno's resorted to starting threads about ****ing Ched Evans.[/quote]

So Katch, not only are you on another Clubs board that is a whole di

Katchouro
23-04-2014, 09:15 PM
Not really. ;)

But reading, and being able to comment on, some contemporary content on what's happening at Wednesday would be a refreshing change.

Someone should start a Llera thread. banno's not got the time though, too busy thinking about the rapist.

hirstyboywonder
23-04-2014, 10:01 PM

Instead you're moping on about the past and banno's resorted to starting threads about ****ing Ched Evans.[/quote]

I wonder if, in 30 years time you will look back on this season with

Katchouro
23-04-2014, 10:18 PM
Any thoughts?

Plenty, and in the fullness of time I'll share them with you.

So we can put you down for a top ten finish next season then, no doubt with a good chance of the Play offs. That's a big shift from your early season pessimism and relegation prediction - especially now Jones' contacts book is gone.

Mental note made. ;)

hirstyboywonder
23-04-2014, 11:01 PM
Any thoughts?

So we can put you down for a top ten finish next season then, no doubt with a good chance of the Play offs. That's a big shift from your early season pessimism and relegation prediction - especially now Jones' contacts book is gone.

Mental note made. ;)[/quote]

I don't believe I stated we would finish in the top 10 next season anywhere in that post but no surprise that rather than read what is actually written you manage to create your own interpretation.
What was actually stated was that it is not ridiculous for our club to believe that it is possible.

Anything is possible in the football league, I mean who would have thought that a 3rd division club with the budget of Sheffield United would, after finishing in the play-offs with over 80 points 2 seasons in a row, would be languishing outside

aussieowl
24-04-2014, 02:16 AM

Embarrassed talking about one of the best days ever in Hillsborough

banno
24-04-2014, 04:49 PM
Any thoughts?

Mental note made. ;)[/quote]

we've good reason to be bullish about our chances of a more successful season next time out. like yourselves we've had a far better second half to the season after a change of manager, albeit at a higher standard of football.
we're not talking of walking the league (unlike the majority of pork on your board), we just sit quietly confident that we are getting better year on year :)
the future?
its blue and white of course!

banno
24-04-2014, 04:52 PM
http://i62.tinypic.com/10z8q3d.png

banno
24-04-2014, 04:54 PM
http://i62.tinypic.com/t5k8e0.png

Ginger_Potts
13-06-2014, 10:49 PM
AND I WiLL FIGHT FOR EVER MORE

JetOwl72
18-06-2014, 12:55 PM

Either that or we are just reminiscing on arguably the greatest Sheffield Derby in living memory of which the only one to challenge it is the 93 semi-final. Both of which your older, bigger, better brother won!

Since BDM we have won the biggest derby since and possibly ever in 93 and we have both done 1 double each, the last one being by your superiors.

“You live in 1979 despite the fact that since then United have had the better of the derbies” You sure about that?

Case number 4,378 of pigs getting facts wrong.

Just so you’re clear, 28 derby games since BDM…… Wednesday 10 Draws 11 Pigs 7

As for BDM. In North torwards Leps as a 7 year old with my old man. Unprecedented!

Ginger_Potts
18-06-2014, 01:30 PM
You Whippersnapper Jet ;D ^^^^^^^^^^
This topic always gets on their Titttttttties, I wonder why ? Bit childish ain't they ? :D

SallyKate
18-06-2014, 02:32 PM
I like to recall the BDM from time to time. Not all the time but occasionally, like I do with all good times. (Rare for all South Yorkshire teams throughout the years I admit)

Having been born in 1959 I'd be 20 then and stood on the East Bank with my Mom, Dad,aunties, uncles and sisters. If I recall Wednesday and United fans (United mostly as they truly expected to win considering the relative league positions at the time - not at the end of the season) were talking and singing of it as going to be their BDM before the match. However, we got to sing on after the result meant the song became ours in reality forever and ever amen. Ah the Casablanca feel of football romance - it let's you down at times and lifts too - but whatever some may say "we'll always have the BDM."

Over the years we've had some good derbies with United; we haven't won them all, but the BDM, double and the semi final are 'the biggies' for me. No matter what anyone says the can't take that away from me.

Co

Ginger_Potts
30-06-2014, 11:48 AM
To think,I could have been stood nxt to you SK. :D .

Ginger_Potts
09-08-2014, 09:12 PM
Happy Days.:) .

Ginger_Potts
26-09-2014, 09:30 PM
Good Day Oz...

Ginger_Potts
26-09-2014, 09:52 PM
Like a day out at Exeter..
Or like watching the pig fly over the MOON...
It landed on my end of Bell...
Ding Dong.
>;) .

Ginger_Potts
28-12-2014, 07:06 PM
Get it on
Ride a Swan
Wear your hair like Stevie May
You can't go Wrong
Beletain
Catch a bright Star
You can't go wrong