PDA

View Full Version : Then and Now

NuclearDevice
09-04-2014, 10:18 PM
Scenario :
Johnny and Mark get into a fight after school.

1957 - Crowd gathers. Mark wins. Johnny and Mark shake hands and end
up best friends.

2014 - Police called, and they arrest Johnny and Mark. Charge them
with assault, both expelled even though Johnny started it. Both
children go to anger management programmes for 3 months. School
governors hold meeting to implement bullying prevention programmes.

Scenario :
Robbie won't sit still in class, disrupts other students.

1957 - Robbie sent to the office and given six of the best by the
Principal. Returns to class, sits still and does not disrupt class
again.

2014 - Robbie given huge doses of Ritalin. Becomes a zombie. Tested
for ADHD and result deemed to be positive. Robbie's parents get
fortnightly disability payments and school gets extra funding from
government because Robbie has a disability.

Scenario :
Billy breaks a window in his neighbour's car and his Dad gives him a
whipping with his belt.

1957 - Billy is more

NuclearDevice
09-04-2014, 10:19 PM
Scenario :
Johnny falls over while running during morning break and scrapes his knee. He is found crying by his teacher, Mary. She hugs him to comfort him.

1957 - In a short time, Johnny feels better and goes on playing footie. No damage done.

2014 - Mary is accused of being a ***ual predator and loses her job.
She faces 3 years in prison. Johnny undergoes 5 years of therapy and ends up ***.

MissWinnie
09-04-2014, 11:51 PM
Good post, Nuc. Food for thought. I wouldn't want to see a return to whippings and belt beating etc, but I definitely think some of our rules designed to protect kids do more harm than good. Did you see the thing in the papers a couple of weeks ago about a couple of children pretending to be lost in a busy shopping centre, and being ignored by hundreds of shoppers (for a documentary, I think). Although many were just focussed on what they were doing, it was thought that our fear of being accused of wrong doing prevented many from helping. Even the women who did stop to help admitted they paused for thought before their natural instinct to help a child in distress took over.

I think it's really sad that many kids that would once have just been described as a 'handful' are now 'diagnosed' with ADHD and zombied up on drugs, as you say. 'Condition' No doubt promoted by the pharmaceutical industry with their eyes on the big bucks.

I was recently having a conversation with my mum about th

dazzyo-villa
12-04-2014, 09:05 PM
Interesting.. I'm a wee pished so excuse me if I miss the point :P

My lads kinda got in trouble of late at after school clubs,one example was he was a bit over enthusiastic during football that he tried to get the ball out of another lads hands after the coach had blown the whistle because someone was hurt, ffs the headmaster got called.. ?? Major over reaction in my opinion.

yubbywelch
13-04-2014, 12:19 AM
That bloody Johnny is a trouble maker.

MissWinnie
13-04-2014, 09:46 PM
Interesting.. I'm a wee pished so excuse me if I miss the point :P

My lads kinda got in trouble of late at after school clubs,one example was he was a bit over enthusiastic during football that he tried to get the ball out of another lads hands after the coach had blown the whistle because someone was hurt, ffs the headmaster got called.. ?? Major over reaction in my opinion.

Hey Dazzy, definitely seems a bit OTT calling out the head teacher for that - I wouldn't have thought it needed more than a ticking off from his teacher. Think we could use some of your lad's youthful enthusiasm in the team at the moment. Is he busy next weekend? :)

ozfan
15-04-2014, 03:54 AM
Really interesting ND. Even with the speculative outcomes for more defined contrast it makes a good point.

A balance of fair discipline and common sense is the way to go.

Headmaster getting called for that is as Winnie says OTT. Like getting the Police commissioner to sort out a shop lifter.

dazzyo-villa
17-04-2014, 12:58 PM
I've had a word Winnie and he says as long as we buy him a pair of Benteke's boots he'll play :D

As for it being over the top, well I'm gonna question it next term if it carries on as it's pathetic really and makes you wonder whether the bloke who runs the after school clubs is up to it.

MissWinnie
19-04-2014, 10:39 AM
XD Hmmm drives a hard bargain ... has he appointed you as his agent? :D

Ok. Needs must. I'm just organising the whip round for the boots ...

C'mon Yubbs, you're going to have to do better than 2 buttons and some fluff covered chewing gum ...

HonestJohn1
23-04-2014, 03:45 PM
Scenario
Everyone in Ireland is Man U mad (Liam Whelan was one of the Busby Babes). HJs Dad decides to cheer for Villa in the 1957 Cup Final 'just to be awkward'

1957:
HJs Dad is a very happy boy when Villa turn over the hot favourites to win a record 7th FA Cup

2014:
Villa still haven't won the FA Cup again and only made 1 final since 1957. HJ, HJs Dad, HJs brother and HJs kids hate the FA Cup with a passion.

It could have been so different but everyday I thank god we're not Red Sheep

J

NuclearDevice
23-04-2014, 07:11 PM
XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD

Nice story.

MissWinnie
23-04-2014, 10:45 PM
Made me laugh John! Would have given you a 'Like' if the button was working!

yubbywelch
24-04-2014, 12:51 AM
Winnie you can't ' Like' your own posts

HonestJohn1
24-04-2014, 08:39 AM
Thanks Winnie :-)

ozfan
24-04-2014, 10:54 PM
It annoys me the like button no longer works. Perfect for the funny and clever posts I read everyday that fade away without comment.

Surely not that difficult to fix. Otherwise get rid of it all together.

MissWinnie
26-04-2014, 10:04 AM
I'm hoping it's just on the 'to do' list, as its still showing. Fingers crossed, now people seem to be able to post again, it'll be looked at. I like using it too, especially on Villa Chat, where I don't comment too much, but like to show my appreciation of a post.