PDA

View Full Version : Dumfries and District Amateur Football League - the END ?

Palmyman
11-04-2014, 02:56 PM
According to a Kev Woodhouse reporter in the Dumfries Courier this season (the 60th anniversary) could be the last one for the DDAFL.
All 7 teams in the current league hope to compete in other leagues next season.
LOCHMABEN - Lanarkshire League application
MAXWELLTOWN - Accepted into Lanarkshire League
UPPERS - Southern Counties application
TERREGLES - Southern Counties application
MORTON THISTLE - Stewartry Summer League
DYNAMO STAR - Disbanding
YMCA - Southern Counties application
lots of posters on this site have at one
time played in the DDAFL and it will be a
sad day to see Saturday amateur football
face the final whistle.

aloreburn
11-04-2014, 03:01 PM
Sad times indeed . I can remember 28 teams split between 2 leagues in the early 80's

Surprised they kept it going this season with only 7 teams but credit to the lads who've kept it alive .

The Southern Counties is basically the Dumfries Amateur league now

sturie67
13-04-2014, 11:46 PM
Maxwelltown and Lochmaben are a long way from Lanarkshire and Morton (Thornhill) is a fair bit away from Stewartry. Doesn't make much sense, unless these are the only places for the clubs to go to.

JRSLEFTPEG
14-04-2014, 04:10 AM
This does not seem such a dramatic change to me me with only thes of leagues differing . Where as not so long ago , any Saturday amateur that was a bit better than his counterparts went to the Southern Counties , they now go to the Lowland League from the Southern Counties . The Southern Counties is indeed the new Saturday Amateur League.

Edqos1
14-04-2014, 12:48 PM
I was sorry to read about this. In my day (early 80s), there were two divisions on both the Saturday and Sunday, and in some years there was competition to get into the leagues. Whilst some teams are still around and are just changing leagues, one suspects that overall there are simply less people playing 11-a-side football. It may be easier and more convenient to play 5-a-side (I know I still do twice a week), but I always thought 11-a-side was 'proper' football, and the 5s just to keep fit.
It's a shame...

JRSLEFTPEG
14-04-2014, 07:13 PM
Participation levels in the Amateur Leagues are not as clear cut to gauge as you might think . The numbers in the Sunday Amateur League remain very healthy with 18 teams in the two leagues . As said before , Terregles, Uppers and YMCA are hoping to join ex Saturday League teams like Lochar Thistle, Mids and Abbey Vale in the Southern Counties . Added to that there are two local teams applying for the Lanarkshire League .

JRSLEFTPEG
15-04-2014, 08:18 AM
On a personal level , it was sad to see Dynamo Star play their last game . Originally , as Emerald Star , they were a Queens supporters team and many Qos fans wore 'The Star' colours. Some of the stories from the early days were legendary and no doubt will be re hashed for the final farewell party in June for ex players . The team and experiences will be remembered with fondness by many.

palmylad
15-04-2014, 09:02 AM
Dynamo Star lost their last ever league game on Saturday 12-4 away to Terregles . The team featured 8 different players that had defeated Uppers 3-1 only a week earlier due to work commitments , weddings , injuries etc .

That stat itself just goes to show how hard it is to run an amateur football team .

It's not quite over yet though as they've still to play Uppers again ironically in the Queen of the South cup on April 26th