PDA

View Full Version : If we don't go up this season...

Gainsbro_Miller
14-04-2014, 05:59 PM
Bearing in mind where we have come from i.e. 4th division football at DVS in front of 3,500 and now chasing promotion to the championship in a new stadium in front of 8,500, would not getting promotion be a failure???

Obviously not!!!

But, some comments on here vary from being strange to just plain ridiculous. I assume some of it is down to a lack of football knowledge and the fact that some supporters appear to be falling for the hype and thinking we are 'massive'.

If we don't go up, all is not lost.

We could be in the same league as Sheff Utd & Bradford (certain), but also joined by Chesterfield, Scunny, Rochdale & Barnsley (very likely) and Donny (looking more likely each week).

That wouldn't be a bad consolation prize would it??

jolly_roger
14-04-2014, 06:05 PM
I agree entirely.

Been a great season and the team has gone way beyond my initial expectations.

If we don't go up then hopefully it will be a springboard to better things.

Casper64Frank
14-04-2014, 06:12 PM
If we don't go up this season then there`s always next season or the season after,make no mistake we will get back to the Championship.

As for this season absolutely brill well worth the cash I paid out,onwards and upwards I say.
I wont be at all disappointed if we don't make Wembley either keep the faith.

UTM. :heart:

CAMiller
14-04-2014, 06:13 PM
I agree with what's been said but I think the long unbeaten run has raised a few hopes. Let's not forget we were within a couple of games of breaking the all time RUFC record and after the defeat to Coventry on New Years Day, if anyone would have said we would clinch a playoff spot with 6 games left they would have probably been taken away by the men in white coats (and not the ones who used to walk around Millmooor selling sweets).

Having said all that, I'd still like us to get up this time around as chances like this don't seem to come around too often.

caytonmiller
14-04-2014, 06:19 PM
If we don't go up this season then there`s always next season or the season after,make no mistake we will get back to the Championship.

As for this season absolutely brill well worth the cash I paid out,onwards and upwards I say.

dont forget the season after or the season after then...

cmon we have all been fans for a zillion years. if we waste this season after getting our self into such a great position its going to hurt, and hurt badly.. peeps who say, we "only expected midd table" and "not long ago we played at DVS infront of 3500"...

bowlax to that. you sound like blades fans who constantly remind us how they help us out in times of need..

enough with the premature excuses. we fight to the end. we play to the end. if we fail we fail

Casper64Frank
14-04-2014, 06:32 PM

cmon we have all been fans for a zillion years. if we waste this season after getting our self into such a great position its going to hurt, and hurt badly.. peeps who say, we "only expected midd table" and "not long ago we played at DVS infront of 3500"...

bowlax to that. you sound like blades fans who constantly remind us how they help us out in times of need..

enough with the premature excuses. we fight to the end. we play to the end. if we fail we fail[/quote]

No prem

caytonmiller
14-04-2014, 06:44 PM

enough with the premature excuses. we fight to the end. we pl

nogginthenog
14-04-2014, 07:05 PM
Never give up, never surrender :P :P :P

rileyev
14-04-2014, 07:19 PM
Ffs its painful reading this board at times.

Cayton...The bloke says he wont be upset if we do not make it to Wembley.

That's perfectly ok pal.

CHILL MAAANNNN!!!!

;D :blue:

Great post from the OP btw

ExeterMiller
14-04-2014, 07:28 PM
I think if we don't, next season will be even more difficult than this. SE will have also created unwanted pressure in that if we struggle in the mid bottom half, a lot might see this as 2 steps forwards and one back - such is the success of this great season.

If we are to have ambitions of the championship, we need to be acquiring the likes of Tavernier for our own. On the flip side, if mid table security is to be comfortably achieved, I would like to see some kids coming through & the further development of New York commercially. I think we're so hell bent on getting to the championship, these things are being pushed to the back of the mind.

What matters most is that we create a firm bedrock that sustains Championship football year on year, and not do what Pboro have done

outlaw
14-04-2014, 07:38 PM
I have a slight worry if we don't go up. I worry a few of our better players would leave such as Arnason and Agard. I'd also not be surprised if Pringle left either, whilst we'd get money for him he's only got the one year left on his contract. I appreciate Tony Stewart is ambitious at this level and we'd spend money and there's all this talk about a record signing being done and dusted - although this seems to have simmered down, and for anyone thinking it was Derbyshire he was playing for Forest at the weekend - but do you think we could replace people like Pringle and Arnason? even Agard? It'd be a very tough ask. Our squad could potentially be completely different next season, we could end up having to find 4/5 key players.

I'm also worried about momentum. We've sky rocketed this season. I can't imagine many thought we'd do this well. Some might have thought playoffs possibly but not playoffs in the bag with 10 games left and even a charge at automatics. If we don't go up this sea

CAMiller
14-04-2014, 08:14 PM
Based upon the possibility of so many local opponents in League 1 next year I was taking a look at the probable opponents in the Championship and how they ranked against our last spell there.

One interesting statistic I did notice, over the 4 seasons and 48 games we played (home and away) against the teams that finished in the promotion/playoff places - we only won THREE :blue:

Parkwell_Down
14-04-2014, 08:34 PM
Yes, we've had a very good season.

No point getting tickets for play-offs then? As for Wembley I'll give it a miss. It'll only be a great day out.

As OP states we have to be grateful for what we have achieved this season.

caytonmiller
14-04-2014, 09:24 PM

That's perfectly ok pal.

CHILL MAAANNNN!!!!

im the chill master m8 :p ;) :p

Casper64Frank
14-04-2014, 10:46 PM

That's perfectly ok pal.

CHILL MAAANNNN!!!!

im the chill master m8 :p ;) :p[/quote]

Wrong Cayton I am the chill master. :D

I`m chilled in August and still chilled in May.

As for having a smile on my face if we lose at Wembley of course I wont but then again I wont get depressed like some on here.

It`s a sport to be enjoyed like all other sports,besides there are more important things than football...Family,health,holidays,etc. etc.

I`m a born optimist the one that wears the "rose tinted spectacles". :D

UTM.

caytonmiller
15-04-2014, 01:55 AM
think this has run its cause and last thing im looking for is a scuffle BUT :) the word was disappointed not depressed. soooo if your not disappointed then your either are happy that we loose or a loss at wembley will bring no emotion from you!
i wasn't saying you will be depressed like some on here will be

and from your chill master faces i see you do have emotions :p soooo conclude you will be disappointed :)
I rest my case :)

Heman
15-04-2014, 06:20 AM
I think the word here is context.

If we either lose in the play offs first round or the final I will be disappointed but it won't affect me for more than a few hours. Similarly if we get promoted I won't have a better summer.

Last year I missed the promotion game at home for health reasons. As already stated football is a sport to be enjoyed. It is nothing without health.

All I ask is that the players and support staff give it their best shot and the supporters give them their backing.

We have had a great season but it ain't over until its over.

Casper64Frank
15-04-2014, 06:39 AM

If we either lose in the play offs first round or the final I will be disappointed but it won't affect me for more than a few hours. Similarly if we get promoted I won't have a better summer.

Last year I missed the promotion game at home for health reasons. As already stated football is a sport to be enjoyed. It is nothing without health.

All I ask is that the players and support staff give it their best shot and the supporters give them their backing.

Eloquently put as always Daz.

Still maintain if we don't make it to the promised land this season it wont spoil my summer.Seen it all over the years,I will just look forward to August at our superb stadium and a few extra quality players that S.E. will bring in.
We will have to agree to disagree on this one.Enough said. :P :P :P
See you all at Wembley.

gramiller1959
15-04-2014, 07:53 AM

exactly :)

Brin
15-04-2014, 08:54 AM
I feel that expectations have been raised too high and took us all by surprise this season...

What's the saying 'so near but so far'...I have to say that inside it will hurt and hurt hard if we don't go up having come so far...as for those that say it won't spoil their summer/life it probably won't but it will affect others who look at it in a different light...it's how deep you take your football seriously as a fan...

Looking at the opposition there is not one single team that the Millers cannot beat on their day and that includes the likes of Wolves as we threw that one away...okay we've drawn twice with Preston but show me a team we fear to play..

Losing the momentous run recently to a cheating/wrong decision and drawing against a team that daren't come across the half way line for 60 % of the game didn't help but eh...we're big and we're strong and I've all the faith that the Gaffer will regroup the team and get them totally focused for the run up to the play offs...

The team l

rileyev
15-04-2014, 06:53 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Brin, that is one of the best posts ever put up on here.

If that doesn't sum up how most of us will/do feel.

I'll show my arse in...

Well actually I won't but you get the picture.

Top post Fella!!