PDA

View Full Version : Travel Advice

Dorset_Steelman
14-04-2014, 08:11 PM
I try to get up every year to watch the Well, which I haven't managed yet this year, but by coincidence I am due to attend a wedding in Glasgow on Sunday the 20th of April, so can attend the game on Saturday. I am staying in the city and have no car, so was thinking of getting the train in. Am I right in thinking the best route would be from Glasgow Central to Airbles station, a quick drink in the Leccy bar and then a stroll to the ground, I guess I will be surrounded by the nice Celtic fans on the way in and on the way back. I used to live in Wishaw, so I am used to traveling to the home games with them in attendance whenever we play the old squirm :(

It has been a while since I have been last up, so any advice is welcome.

Cheers

sieb1886
14-04-2014, 08:39 PM
Hello DS - Glesga Central to Airbles, then Leccy for a beer is a shout. Just keep your wits about you though, as at the last Smelltic game Airbles saw a fair bit of fistiecuffs and exchanging of bottles / cans (not in the friendly way). Having said that, I reckon Plod won't let his guard down 2 games in a row, and there'll be a decent presence all over the place.

Motherwellboy
14-04-2014, 09:04 PM
Or get off the train at Motherwell station , hop in a taxi at the rank right outside and get it to take you to the bar in the Cooper Stand. No contact at all with "them" from when you get off the train.

You could also try a taxi from the station to Jack Daniels , home fans only and the route from there through the hospital and up Knowetop Avenue to the home turnstyles is as bereft as you'll get of the great unwashed.

Wellup4it
14-04-2014, 10:30 PM
I assume that you've got a ticket?

wellowell
15-04-2014, 12:30 PM
I would agree with others but the train will be full of them as i have got on at blantyre before for an early kick off and was amazed how p...d people were on a 10.27 train .I would get off at airbles and go to bar in cooper stand as early enough to miss the majority of them and can leave their and walk straight into game they are also open after game so you can have a celebratory(i wish) drink after words and let most of them leave before making your way back to station.

bheron
15-04-2014, 12:49 PM
I know it is a round about way, but if you want to miss all the Celtic fans on the way in, you could get the Larkhall train, and get off at Hamilton Central. From there you could get a Taxi or bus. Mind you, you would still have to return via Airbles or Motherwell.

Yazz
15-04-2014, 08:59 PM
Get on the train at Central wearing a long raincoat. Just as train leaves Hamilton Central open raincoat to reveal an automatic machine gun and shoot the *******s. Alight at Airbles and wander into the Leccy for a few pints with real football fans.

Enjoy

Dorset_Steelman
16-04-2014, 05:56 AM
Guys,

Thanks for the advice. I have never been to the bar in the Cooper stand, so might try there. But an early start and late departure sounds like a plan.

Match ticket pre-booked online and ready for collection.

dasdeid
16-04-2014, 08:13 AM
Match ticket pre-booked online and ready for collection.
Good luck with collection ... suggest ignore the above and travel day before to avoid tkt queue as all your efforts to avoid opposition fans will be to no avail as stood amongst them queuing :s

Seriously - be early to collect tkt as queue lengthly on match day

Sup3rw3ll
16-04-2014, 09:25 PM
I'm on the trains all the time for work, and i've put my scotrail app to work just for you good sir!

This is the quickest and "safest way" from weegie town to the 'shire on Saturday.

11:00AM Glasgow Central
to
11:13AM Motherwell (direct)

via Cross Country Trains (usually platform 2)

Standard return ticket is valid, and you get this train from upper level. As said previously, nip in a taxi if raining or cannae be bothered walking up past the mega.

Cheeers!

bheron
17-04-2014, 08:30 AM
I'm on the trains all the time for work, and i've put my scotrail app to work just for you good sir!

This is the quickest and "safest way" from weegie town to the 'shire on Saturday.

to

Standard return ticket is valid, and you get this train from upper level. As said previously, nip in a taxi if raining or cannae be bothered walking up past the mega.

Cheeers! Good Shout! :star:

Dorset_Steelman
17-04-2014, 07:07 PM

to

Cheeers!

Thanks a lot, this sounds like a plan.;D