PDA

View Full Version : Villa v Saints Official Match Thread

harvey_7
18-04-2014, 10:55 PM
Haven't started one in a while so why not.

Be a very tough game tomorrow as Villa Park is a tough place to go & they're a very physical side. An early goal would be brilliant, I do fancy bus to do the job but we will need to work for it.

Line up IMO should be -

Gazzaniga

Chambers Fonte Lovren Shaw

Schneiderlin Wanyama

Ward-Prowse Davis Lallana

Lambert

proclaimer
19-04-2014, 12:51 AM
Loads of possession did not translate into loads of goal scoring opportunities last week so I hope we start with more than one up front.

Going to Villa and looking forward to it. :D

Grannie64
19-04-2014, 06:24 AM
Will also be there and looking forward to it. Boruc back in contention, so should be interesting. COYS

Dirtyweasel
19-04-2014, 06:50 AM
If Gazzanigga plays, we won't get a result.

kernow
19-04-2014, 07:56 AM
The game at SMS was terrible, 78% possession, 21 shots, 2 goals. Villa 3 shots, 3 goals. >:(

Hope it's a good day out for the travellers, great stadium, always a good atmosphere.

Can't see anything other than a struggle today though.

BlueAdder
19-04-2014, 08:04 AM
If Gazzanigga plays, we won't get a result.

Never really understood the 'getting a result' thingy.
Getting hammered 10-0 is a result isn't it, maybe not the one you wanted but a result nonetheless.
Just an observation btw, not suggesting you're going to lose 10-0. :D
Think you will get 2-2 today.

saintwayne
19-04-2014, 08:41 AM
The Holy Goalie should be back today, if so we have a good chance I think. No way would I have Wanyama in ahead of Cork though. Assuming Ramirez is fit,

Boruc
Chambers Fonte Lovren Shaw
Morgan Cork
Davis Ramirez Lallana
Lambert

If we can frustrate Villa early on, nerves will start to creep in as they are still in a relegation battle. We have done well in these kind of away games this season, I'm quite optimistic about this one. Less so without JRod though.

Dirtyweasel
19-04-2014, 09:22 AM
For those struggling with my earlier post, my comment on a result, was what I thought an obvious reference to a positive result.

To simplify, with Gazzanigga in goal I don't think we'll win - or even draw. In fact I think we'll lose.

Hope that helps?

CostaBaz
19-04-2014, 11:55 AM
I've got a feeling that Villa will let us have the ball and try to do exactly what they did at SMS.
Sit back and hit us with pace. A crunching, early challenge on Agbonlahor would be good.
Don't hurt him too much, though, as I think he would be a good squad player, for us, should he ever consider leaving Villa.

CostaBaz
19-04-2014, 04:02 PM
Usual story.
Good approach play, better final ball than last week, but not consistently good enough.
Chances missed.
Oh and another missed handball in the penalty area.
The FA may as well declare handball as no longer being a penalty offence, the number of times the official misses/ignores it, when it is a nailed on penalty for us. >:(

BlueAdder
19-04-2014, 05:32 PM
Can't help thinking letting Jason Puncheon go was a mistake. He does seem to know where the goal is.

PonyFiddlerReturns
19-04-2014, 08:39 PM
We seem to be a bit toothless without JayRod, we need to sign a decent striker, preferably one that isn't a psychopath.

saintwayne
20-04-2014, 08:08 AM
Story of our season really, played some good football and nice build up play, but really lacking a cutting edge up front. Over 70% possession away from home, but we didn't do enough with it.

It's been a very good season, but can't help thinking what might have been if we had that extra bit of quality up top. This needs addressing in the summer.

kernow
20-04-2014, 08:23 AM
Need somebody up front, at the back and between the posts.

proclaimer
20-04-2014, 09:51 AM
Last week and this week. I've been to both and while I admire Cardiff for being well organised I can't say the same about Villa. No goals says it all for me. Can't find much to complain about with most of our game but SRL can't do it all and needs some support up front - IMO.

SaintD
20-04-2014, 03:05 PM
Nil - Nil and we are still on before West Ham on Match of the Day!