PDA

View Full Version : Bowyer has a go at the fans

Howie5o
19-04-2014, 08:40 AM
oh dear ..i think GB could be on thin ice here.. - view external link (http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/news/11159780._/?ref=mac)

DanRrr
19-04-2014, 08:53 AM
It's the headline rather than GB's words that makes it look like he's having a go at the fans. He's simply protecting his players saying that they didn't deserve to be booed off, but doesn't justify those words on yesterdays showing, but on recent performances and where we are now.

The thing he needs to rememeber though, it we're paying to be there and giving up our time, whereas he and the players are paid to be there. The boo's were because they were lackluster and provided noting in terms of entertainment at all. I'd have been happier in a garden centre yesterday afternoon, and I phucking hate garden centres!

Anyway, the LT are making this up, the headline and GB's words don't sit hand in hand.

Howie5o
19-04-2014, 09:03 AM
It's the headline rather than GB's words that makes it look like he's having a go at the fans. He's simply protecting his players saying that they didn't deserve to be booed off, but doesn't justify those words on yesterdays showing, but on recent performances and where we are now.

The thing he needs to rememeber though, it we're paying to be there and giving up our time, whereas he and the players are paid to be there. The boo's were because they were lackluster and provided noting in terms of entertainment at all. I'd have been happier in a garden centre yesterday afternoon, and I phucking hate garden centres!

Anyway, the LT are making this up, the headline and GB's words don't sit hand in hand.

Sorry Dan ..he shouldnt be protecting the players after that performance ..
What he should be saying is ..i understand where the fans are coming from ..todays performance not acceptable blah blah .

You have to remember for the last th

DanRrr
19-04-2014, 10:27 AM
I agree Howie that yesterdays performance was completely unacceptable. But I understand that Bowyer has to focus on the next 3 games. He probably shouldn't have mentioned it at all. It was quite muted on the boo front and could have been much worse after the sh1te that shower served up yesterday.

champs95
19-04-2014, 10:33 AM

What he should be saying is ..i understand where the fans are coming from ..todays performance not acceptable blah

DanRrr
19-04-2014, 10:43 AM
Champs, Howie is calling it as he sees it on a game by game basis. That's it. Also, after watching dire performances, there is a right to say so. You are critising posters who are actually going to games, based on overall results and the press reports you read. Come down more often and call it as you see it :P

Howie5o
19-04-2014, 11:00 AM

What he should be saying is ..i understand where the fans are coming

champs95
19-04-2014, 11:03 AM
Champs, Howie is calling it as he sees it on a game by game basis. That's it. Also, after watching dire performances, there is a right to say so. You are critising posters who are actually going to games, based on overall results and the press reports you read. Come down more often and call it as you see it :P

Dan, I live and work in Leeds, not too far, but I do work on a Saturday. I put my job ahead of anything as I am sure you will understand.
I actually go to quite a number of games over a whole season, considering I can't make Sat games, I think is quite good.

I at no point critisised Howie? My post asks - as I work - and you guys go to games more than me - which I clearly state in the opening sentance, which you missed...is this feeling wide-spread or isolated?
I can see why Howie doesn't rate GB, as he puts his opinion on here. I am allowed to state my opinion...or am I as I dont go to games? You will be saying this to Auks

Howie5o
19-04-2014, 11:11 AM
one more thought..(sorry on one today XD )..ok poor first half performance ..im sure GB would have been aware of other results elsewhere ..surely if he cant sort it tactically ..what about just firing into the players ? ..look all results going our way ..get out there and get those 3points ..but second half ..we looked even worse ..!!..i dunno..:/

champs95
19-04-2014, 11:14 AM
one more thought..(sorry on one today XD )..ok poor first half performance ..im sure GB would have been aware of other results elsewhere ..surely if he cant sort it tactically ..what about just firing into the players ? ..look all results going our way ..get out there and get those 3points ..but second half ..we looked even worse ..!!..i dunno..:/

Cheers Howie. Thats why I wanted to ask you.
I should'nt have used the word 'dislike' as thats actually irrelevant. I basically meant, are others starting to see it that way too?

Like I tried to explain to your Mrs ...sorry Dan ...the stance you take, I totally see, and understand. You go more than me (sorry Dan) and your strong opinion is making sense at times.
I will say, not one I will always agree with, but interesting all the same...certainly for one that can't go to games.
I could've gone yesterday...being honest I had no will power to trail over from Leeds to see a game I was sc

Howie5o
19-04-2014, 11:32 AM

Cheers Howie. Thats why I wanted to ask you.
I should'nt have used the word 'dislike' as thats actually irrelevant. I basically meant, are others starting to see it that way too?

Like I tried to explain to your Mrs ...sorry Dan ...the stance you take, I totally see, and understand. You go more than me (sorry Dan) and your strong opinion is making sense at times.
I will say, not one I will always agree with, but interesting all the same...certainly for one that can't go to games.
I could've gone yesterday...being honest I had no will power t

AucklandRover
19-04-2014, 11:41 AM

What he should be saying

DanRrr
19-04-2014, 11:47 AM
I know lots of people who go to football each week and don't know the first thing. I wouldnt listen to their opinions.

Spot on Champs, 4 lads behind us yesterday were 'commenting' and I wanted to punch the ingorant phuckers. Thankfully they disappeared at half time, not to return.

And I wasn't having a dig at you Champs. It's just reading a number of your posts lately, you seem to add reasons to what people are saying, which may not be their reasons at all, (but that's just how I'm reading it). However, you know I love you and that we'll spawn a love child one day ;)

Howie5o
19-04-2014, 11:56 AM
Lets not kid ourselves Auks you say "look at what we ve done on the whole"..our record after Xmas is pretty poor ..yes had some good results against top teams ..but so we should with the players we ve available .but we ve had some bloody awful results against very ordinary opposition too. .and yet we re still in with a shout of the play offs ..but you wouldnt have thought that yesterday ..no drive or desire to win that game whatsoever..
Again if we can see that it isnt working ..why cant the manager ?..it needed shaking up ..yet he didnt ..he continues to play both Lowe and Williamson in the middle yet our most creative player Cairney is pushed out wide ..maybe GB is still in Coach mode ..the players "friend" instead of hardball manager thats required to push us on and make us into the finished article ?

champs95
19-04-2014, 12:58 PM
I know lots of people who go to football each week and don't know the first thing. I wouldnt listen to their opinions.

Spot on Champs, 4 lads behind us yesterday were 'commenting' and I wanted to punch the ingorant phuckers. Thankfully they disappeared at half time, not to return.

And I wasn't having a dig at you Champs. It's just reading a number of your posts lately, you seem to add reasons to what people are saying, which may not be their reasons at all, (but that's just how I'm reading it). However, you know I love you and that we'll spawn a love child one day ;)[/quote]

:heart: you too Daniel San ;D

alfinyalcabo
19-04-2014, 06:35 PM

And I wasn't having a dig at you Champs. It's just reading a number of your posts lately, you seem to add reasons to what people are saying, which may not be their reasons at all, (but that's just how I'm reading it). However, you know I love you and that we'll spawn a love child one day ;)[/quote]

Phuck me that will be one ugly phuckin love child.. :D :D :P

Howie5o
19-04-2014, 06:52 PM

Phuck me that will be one ugly phuckin love child.. :D :D :P[/quote]

maybe ...but at least it will have 5 digits on each hand and know how to pronounce its "RRRs" ..XD

alfinyalcabo
19-04-2014, 08:29 PM

maybe ...but at least it will have 5 digits on each hand and know how to pronounce its "RRRs" ..XD[/quote]

And hooves for feet.. :D

AucklandRover
19-04-2014, 10:08 PM
[quote="Howie5o"..our record after Xmas is pretty poor ..yes had some good results against top teams ..but so we should with the players we ve available .but we ve had some bloody awful results against very ordinary opposition too. .and yet we re still in with a shout of the play offs ..but you wouldnt have thought that yesterday ..no drive or desire to win that game whatsoever..
Again if we can see that it isnt working ..why cant the manager ?..it needed shaking up ..yet he didnt ..he continues to play both Lowe and Williamson in the middle yet our most creative player Cairney is pushed out wide ..maybe GB is still in Coach mode ..the players "friend" instead of hardball manager thats required to push us on and make us into the finished article ?[/quote]

Now on the specifics, I do agree with you, Howie.
Playing both Lowe and Williamson is overly cautious, and is bound to lessen crea

DanRrr
19-04-2014, 10:50 PM

That doesn't mean you get to shag it. So hands off!! :P

alfinyalcabo
20-04-2014, 02:38 PM

That doesn't mean you get to shag it. So hands off!! :P[/quote]

Come on Dan you know we only shag our own brethren.. :P

Despair
20-04-2014, 03:36 PM
I never have booed at a football match, and never would as it is just not me, hence I am not keen on others doing it. That said though I can come terms of sorts when it happens, but of the mind that it does not say great deal for the individual.
However, these are very very highly paid professionals being critiqued by a crowd from a less than affluent location in uk where money does not grow on trees , despite the relatively generous going rate for tickets.
I find it hard to offer sympathy for someone who is picking up tens of thousands a week when he is being questioned over his commitment in order to pocket a salary that is way beyond any everyday spectator could dream of

Just my opinion. As usual

DanRrr
20-04-2014, 10:29 PM
Come on Dan you know we only shag our own brethren.. :P

You got me there Alf XD

DanRrr
20-04-2014, 10:32 PM
Just my opinion. As usual

It's a very fair point and well made!

Rvblue
23-04-2014, 09:34 AM
Well despite having a go at the fans I think Bowyer should have a good long look at himself this season.

Monumental screws up ahead of the Bolton and Yeovil games. Lack of preparation, organisation, game plan and motivation.

The no shows against Charlton, Bournemouth, Wednesday and Birmingham at home.

The failure to address the key midfield position and persistence with a pairing the stats tell us gives a poor win return when they play.

The failure to defend leads when ahead or adapt to changes in tactics made by the opposition.

Yes there will always be some one offs in the season but too many of these were repeat offences and of the Managers making.

Not much the fans could do about those screw ups.

AucklandRover
23-04-2014, 08:44 PM
Well despite having a go at the fans I think Bowyer should have a good long look at himself this season.

Monumental screws up ahead of the Bolton and Yeovil games. Lack of preparation, organisation, game plan and motivation.

The no shows against Charlton, Bournemouth, Wednesday and Birmingham at home.

The failure to address the key midfield position and persistence with a pairing the stats tell us gives a poor win return when they play.

The failure to defend leads when ahead or adapt to changes in tactics made by the opposition.

Yes there will always be some one offs in the season but too many of these were repeat offences and of the Managers making.

Not much the fans could do about those screw ups.

Rvblue - you're assuming everything is down to the manager. You mention, "Lack of preparation, organisation, game plan and motivation" before the Bolton and Yeovil games, but do you really believe all those were in some way DIFFER

Rvblue
24-04-2014, 07:27 AM
Aucks I just think Bowyer was out of order having a go at the fans when he should be looking at some of the things he has not done correctly.

There will be one offs like when Burnley lost at home to Boro. That list of errors are 90% in his remit and that is too much and the reason we have fallen short so far.

He needs to learn from those mistakes and correct for next season. If the best he can do next season is the Lowe Williamson midfield then he will really be testing the fans patience.

Despair
24-04-2014, 08:36 AM
I think that what RVB is getting at is: 'as an individual' he has more say and influence upon any performance than any other, hence the term 'carrying the can'.
This is not to say that it is totally down to him on the blame curve, but if a change is seen to need to be made the managers position is the obvious place to look at.
This very much proven many times over where a manager is changed and whereas the previous one could not seem to do a great deal with a squad a new one comes in and has greater success.
And yes you are right, GB has had some success with his squad, and yes the 'injuries' will not have helped, and yes he has tread a real learning curve amongst and from a total car crash of a situation. But what quite a few are coming to think is that he just maybe have reached his limits in progressing any further. This in the retaining (for quite some time now and seemingly needlessly) of his ultra cautionary approach.
As for his replacement, I do not agree with RVB on this, for t

champs95
24-04-2014, 10:21 AM
[quote="Despair"]I think that what RVB is getting at is: 'as an individual' he has more say and influence upon any performance than any other, hence the term 'carrying the can'.
This is not to say that it is totally down to him on the blame curve, but if a change is seen to need to be made the managers position is the obvious place to look at.
This very much proven many times over where a manager is changed and whereas the previous one could not seem to do a great deal with a squad a new one comes in and has greater success.
And yes you are right, GB has had some success with his squad, and yes the 'injuries' will not have helped, and yes he has tread a real learning curve amongst and from a total car crash of a situation. But what quite a few are coming to think is that he just maybe have reached his limits in progressing any further. This in the retaining (for quite some time now and seemingly needlessly) of his ultra cautionary approach.
As for his replac

Despair
24-04-2014, 11:17 AM
Totally agree Champs as I include many a Prem. 'encounter' in the statement, hence my comment towards the 'Are you Jealous' posting as "not in the slightest".
My dilemma is that much earlier in the season I saw real shoots of optimism in the young, eager newcomers being added and could sense a real rebuilding happening and encouraged stay aways to re-attend. But it has been a faltering progression for some considerable time now and too many of our encounters have had too much of a 'fear factor' about them. You yourself say 'are QPR, Reading really any better than us???' So why the fear and/or caution?
This comment is set against the particular squad of individuals at GB's disposal, where it seems to the onlooker that the ingredients are there but the mix/arrangement/tactics does not get the best out of them.

As I have said before, and it seems to be of your mind also, my secondary dilemma is that I do not actually miss the Prem. (for the reasons you state). So although I want this squ

champs95
24-04-2014, 12:23 PM
[quote="Despair".
My dilemma is that much earlier in the season I saw real shoots of optimism in the young, eager newcomers being added and could sense a real rebuilding happening and encouraged stay aways to re-attend. But it has been a faltering progression for some considerable time now and too many of our encounters have had too much of a 'fear factor' about them. You yourself say 'are QPR, Reading really any better than us???' So why the fear and/or caution?
This comment is set against the particular squad of individuals at GB's disposal, where it seems to the onlooker that the ingredients are there but the mix/arrangement/tactics does not get the best out of them.

As I have said before, and it seems to be of your mind also, my secondary dilemma is that I do not actually miss the Prem. (for the re

Despair
24-04-2014, 12:57 PM
Champs, well I asked for that didn't i !

You can borrow my as: 'Despair II' if you want ;D

champs95
24-04-2014, 01:14 PM
Champs, well I asked for that didn't i !

You can borrow my as: 'Despair II' if you want ;D

I feel that way!! ;D
I have never been a rugby fan.
I now live in Castleford. After lots of people telling me I should go, I went to Cas Tigers vrs Saints the other week.
I loved it. Great game, packed crowd for Cas, decent fans, good atmosphere. Fans respect the players, players respect the fans, everyone respects the ref's. That game (at the time) was a top of the table clash. Cas had 3 tries disallowed. They lost to a last min conversion, which was dodgy. 28-30.
The (mixed) crowd left together, after clapping BOTH sets of players off, happy. All enjoyed a drink, and it was a good sporting event to attend.
I went away feeling entertained, and I got (at AŁ18) good value for money. And the main difference between footy and Rugby League...respect.
Football crowds I am forced to sit with, are mostly idioitic people 'I pay my money,

Rvblue
24-04-2014, 06:51 PM
Champs I have seen far worse than what we have right now in the old third division.

I can remember a game v aldershot when we lost 2-0 at home with only 4500 on. I never thought then of not going although all seemed lost at the time. There was no cash, no ability and no hope. It was desperate times and yet not far away was some great times not least the Rovers v Plymouth game a few years later which to my mind compares with one of the best ever days at Ewood for me. The emergence of Tony Field and the arrival of Gordon Lee, and Jim Smith. The one nil win at Bolton infront of 33000 at Burnden Park when I think Fazakerley scored. So I would never give up on the ability of this special club to bounce back.

I do not yet believe all is lost with Bowyer but I took exception to him trying to put the blame on the fans. It is his job to get a team fired up and the second half v Yeovil was just unacceptable in the circumstances.

The problem for Bowyer is that the clock is ticking in financial

seventwo
24-04-2014, 09:34 PM
Champs I have seen far worse than what we have right now in the old third division.

I can remember a game v aldershot when we lost 2-0 at home with only 4500 on. I never thought then of not going although all seemed lost at the time. There was no cash, no ability and no hope. It was desperate times and yet not far away was some great times not least the Rovers v Plymouth game a few years later which to my mind compares with one of the best ever days at Ewood for me. The emergence of Tony Field and the arrival of Gordon Lee, and Jim Smith.

I was there, exciting times no matter how dire it seemed.

It was good honest football and a working mans game.

Do you seriously think those great days compare with the greedy, cheating modern game?

Despair
24-04-2014, 10:02 PM
'It was good honest football and a working mans game'.

And that's the crux of it really.

I suppose this also comes down to growing old and not seeing the 'advancements' the same way as the younger uns!

Rovers v Plymouth ! that was one hell of a day out at Ewood, and yes in many ways as good as anything seen at Ewood in the 90's.
Was that the exuberance of youth that made it so, and if so does that really matter?

Generations come and go and therefore the generation you belong to will inevitably influence your views when relating the past, present and future.

AucklandRover
24-04-2014, 10:43 PM
You can't help wanting your team to get to the PL, but I agree that it's a mixed blessing.
I have posted several times over the years to say that the only answer is a European Super League.
Remove, say, Man Utd, Man City, Chelsea, Liverpool and Chelsea from the equation, and suddenly the PL might regain some sense of balance. OK, some of the glamour would be gone, but the competition would be much more even, and smaller clubs would not simply be engaged in a grim, desperate battle for 40 points.
It will never happen, though, because of money. In the meantime, I share Champs' nostalgia. I remember watching Rovers away at Lincoln City, sharing a laugh with the locals about Johnny Price's bow legs. I remember watching Grimsby Town, when we lived there for a year, in the season when they scored over 100 goals, playing a five-man forward-line. Much more enjoyable in many ways than seeing a one-nil defeat by Chelsea as some kind of triumph!
The PL-winning team seems like a dream in retrospec

Despair
25-04-2014, 06:14 AM
[quote="AucklandRover"]You can't help wanting your team to get to the PL, but I agree that it's a mixed blessing.
I have posted several times over the years to say that the only answer is a European Super League.
Remove, say, Man Utd, Man City, Chelsea, Liverpool and Chelsea from the equation, and suddenly the PL might regain some sense of balance. OK, some of the glamour would be gone, but the competition would be much more even, and smaller clubs would not simply be engaged in a grim, desperate battle for 40 points.
It will never happen, though, because of money. In the meantime, I share Champs' nostalgia. I remember watching Rovers away at Lincoln City, sharing a laugh with the locals about Johnny Price's bow legs. I remember watching Grimsby Town, when we lived there for a year, in the season when they scored over 100 goals, playing a five-man forward-line. Much more enjoyable in many ways than seeing a one-nil defeat by Chelsea as some kind of triumph!

champs95
25-04-2014, 10:22 AM
[quote="Despair"]You can't help wanting your team to get to the PL, but I agree that it's a mixed blessing.
It will never happen, though, because of money. In the meantime, I share Champs' nostalgia. I remember watching Rovers away at Lincoln City, sharing a laugh with the locals about Johnny Price's bow legs. I remember watching Grimsby Town, when we lived there for a year, in the season when they scored over 100 goals, playing a five-man forward-line. Much more enjoyable in many ways than seeing a one-ni

Despair
25-04-2014, 11:07 AM
But Champs... it's fully justified as its 'Market Forces', so I/we are told XD.
They are just 'taking their well earned cut' as highly skilled, dedicated, super human sportsmen (or so I was once told on here XD ) that are above any other on the planet.
I am thinking that the messenger of this had never attended a Rugby League fixture ;D

champs95
25-04-2014, 11:58 AM
But Champs... it's fully justified as its 'Market Forces', so I/we are told XD.
They are just 'taking their well earned cut' as highly skilled, dedicated, super human sportsmen (or so I was once told on here XD ) that are above any other on the planet.
I am thinking that the messenger of this had never attended a Rugby League fixture ;D

This 17 year old lad will have never cleaned a boot in his life (as prem clubs no longer allow that), he will never have experienced any hardship and will go onto being a little ****e like Rooney etc etc.

So when fans of small clubs in impoverished area's like Blackburn or Burnely to say Stamford Bridge and are asked to pay over A?60 for a ticket ... it's always good to know where that hard earned money is going.
Helping pay that 17 year old's A?36k a week wage.