PDA

View Full Version : Motherwell earn a ***** point against Celtic

jwok
19-04-2014, 03:01 PM
Brilliant fighting & skillful show from the troops today. And what of the wonder save from Nielsen? - view external link (www.motherwell-mad.co.uk/rprt/mtch/motherwell_earn_a_*****_point_against_celtic_83088 2/index.shtml)

wellowell
19-04-2014, 04:23 PM
Penalty save was great so was our effort whole game would have been a travesty if we had come away with nothing .Would be nice to see the posters who come on constantly and say we show no fight and just roll over when we play Celtic come on and give credit where it's due as we showed guts and great character today .

blackie1204
19-04-2014, 04:29 PM
What a display from the Steelmen!!!! In my opinion there wasn't a failure on the pitch !!And that in spite of our skipper and a few important players missing. Of course we shouldn't ignore the wonderful decisions from our favourite referee NOT. Surely some of you Well fans were as incensed as I was by his bias ?

steviex
19-04-2014, 05:26 PM
Penalty save was great so was our effort whole game would have been a travesty if we had come away with nothing .Would be nice to see the posters who come on constantly and say we show no fight and just roll over when we play Celtic come on and give credit where it's due as we showed guts and great character today .

Id be surprised if most Motherwell fans were not quite content today. Sure its disappointing to lose a 2 goal lead.. against sh1te like st mirren and hibs that is unforgivable but against Celtic i can live with it. We have had some shockingly pathetic displays against the OF but today wasn't one of them. They all tried so hard today and played some neat stuff. I just wonder what McCall , if he is still with us next season, will do to plug our defence.

numpty13
19-04-2014, 07:16 PM
Of course we shouldn't ignore the wonderful decisions from our favourite referee NOT. Surely some of you Well fans were as incensed as I was by his bias ?
Not especially. Looked equally mediocre for both sides, as usual.

Wellup4it
19-04-2014, 11:11 PM
A real Jekyll and Hyde performance from us today. Early on and when breaking forward we looked really good and only bad luck prevented us from scoring another 2/3 goals.

However when defending we sat far too deep and narrow and it was no surprise that Celtic scored 3 goals. Time after time someone would break out of defence only to find his teammates wouldn't support him.

At times our defending was very poor and we conceded needless corners. Surprised to see John Sutton playing in the left back role for spells.

Overall though a decent performance with no real failures. Though young Jack Leitch had an outstanding game and is definitely one for next season.

Sup3rw3ll
20-04-2014, 12:01 AM
Performance of the season. A point at least was merited, and to have scored two goals and got nothing would have been harsh. But to score three goals (I think the only Scottish side all season to do so in one game) was outstanding and gain the most worthy point all season. It is also the type of performance that makes you think, why did you not do more of that against other sides! So a new benchmark has been set for how they can perform and I expect nothing less for the next four games. They have proven they are up to the task of finishing third.

firparkUSA
20-04-2014, 12:54 AM
They have proven they are up to the task of finishing third.

third???

After todays results, it would take a total meltdown to give 3rd place away.
In fact, if Motherwell take 3 points of Dundee United in the next game then 3rd place is in the bag.

Given the way Aberdeen have sneaked in goals at the very end time & again when they otherwise didn't deserve as much from those games I really hope they don't hang onto 2nd place.
Motherwell are the only team with a decent opportunity to reclaim 2nd place & not doing so will be a bit disappointing even if it wouldn't be unexpected.

Perhaps I'm the only one not impressed by Aberdeen this season?
All that said, Dundee United can be very impressive on form & I hope games aren't needlessly lost.

mix106
20-04-2014, 06:23 AM

third???

After todays results, it would take a total meltdown to give 3rd place away.
In fact, if Motherwell take 3 points of Dundee United in the next game then 3rd place is in the bag.

Given the way Aberdeen have sneaked in goals at the very end time & again when they otherwise didn't deserve as much from those games I really hope they don't hang onto 2nd place.
Motherwell are the only team with a decent opportunity to reclaim 2nd place & not doing so will be a bit disappointing even if it wouldn't be unexpected.

Perhaps I'm the only one not impressed by Aberdeen this season?
All that said, Dundee United can be very impressive on form & I hope games aren't needlessly lost.[/quote]

It's just not possible to be second at seasons end through luck. You are being harsh on Aberdeen. Good teams make their own luck. Sure the

Wellup4it
20-04-2014, 08:53 AM
It's just not possible to be second at seasons end through luck. You are being harsh on Aberdeen. Good teams make their own luck. Sure they have scored tons of late goals but is that not what good teams do.. Work it for 90 mins.

I'd say its quite possible to finish 2nd on luck. I'd agree however that Aberdeen are a vastly improved side, but they have spent big to achieve that. At the moment there really isn't much between our 2 sides - 3 points. A few bad penalty calls/wrongly chalked off goals could make all the difference when 2 sides are so close.

This season bad refeering decisions have not evened themselves out for us. Only last week Ian Brines made a howler at Paisley that cost us big time. He admitted so afterwards.

I can only hope our luck and that of Aberdeen turns in the last 4 games, but I'm not holding my breath.

afc_1983
20-04-2014, 08:29 PM
It's just not possible to be second at seasons end through luck. You are being harsh on Aberdeen. Good teams make their own luck. Sure they have scored tons of late goals but is that not what good teams do.. Work it for 90 mins.

I'd say its quite possible to finish 2nd on luck. I'd agree however that Aberdeen are a vastly improved side, but they have spent big to achieve that. At the moment there really isn't much between our 2 sides - 3 points. A few bad penalty calls/wrongly chalked off goals could make all the difference when 2 sides are so close.

This season bad refeering decisions have not evened themselves out for us. Only last week Ian Brines made a howler at Paisley that cost us big time. He admitted so afterwards.

I can only hope our luck and that of Aberdeen turns in the last 4 games, but I'm not holding my breath.[/quote]

If we finish 2nd we'll have deserved to.

afc_1983
20-04-2014, 08:50 PM
Just one small additional point on the 'luck' issue...

Aberdeen and Motherwell have played 3x in the league already and I can make a case for us being the better team in all 3 matches. The points have been split 4/4.

Now I take your point about the Anderson equaliser - I would be raging too if that had been given against us. But actually if you look back at that match, we were well worth a point and could argue that with a bit more luck ;) we would have won.

The game at Pittodrie was a snatch and grab. Fair play.

And we won deservedly back at the start of the season.

Anyway, it just puts a different slant on things I think. I'm as guilty as anyone of looking at things with my red tinted glasses on, but hopefully we can get rid of this 'lucky' tag because I don't think it's justified.

Good luck for the rest of the season.

Yazz
21-04-2014, 09:58 AM
That's not far off the mark mate. I'm rather chuffed that with 4 games to go we're still competing for 2nd spot with a Club the size of Aberdeen and its available resources.

I'd have jumped at the offer of a Point before yesterday's game --- however that's the 3rd 2-goal lead we've thrown away and its very frustrating. The Kilmarnock and St Midden results have probably cost us 2nd spot, but thanks to St Johnstone yesterday, as they hopefully have helped us secure 3rd.

Well done Motherwell in the League, and well done Aberdeen in the League and both Cups.

skippy91
21-04-2014, 09:19 PM
Well I never, a Dandy Dons fan who makes several good points and has a grasp of the current league situation regarding both of our clubs. Well put sir. :D

firparkUSA
12-05-2014, 06:35 AM
Yep, not many were vocal in believing 2nd place could be regained.

I stand by what I said then... and as it turned out Dundee Utd did do a better job on us than Aberdeen post-split.

Tired of reading how Motherwell stole 2nd place.
2nd place was earned.

Just glad we didn't concede another 2 goals this season, otherwise it would have gone down as the most goals conceded since Motherwell placed bottom of the league.

Looking at the goals scored columns it appears Motherwell provide fans the best value: league games involving Motherwell produced more goals than for any other team in the SPFL -even more than league games involving Celtic.

Surely Aberdeen can't be all that hurting as that bumper crowd they got must have raked in well in excess of the 240,000 pound premium that came with 2nd place.

third???

After todays r