PDA

View Full Version : God Save the Queen

Romanis
21-04-2014, 07:35 PM
Elizabeth Alexandra Mary

b. 21st April 1926 - vivat

Her Majesty Elizabeth II of York, Duchess of Edinburgh, The Lord Mann, Duke of Lancaster, Defender of the Faith, Sovereign and Queen of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland and her other realms and territories.

'Thy choicest gifts in store, on her be pleased to pour.
Long may she reign.
May she defend our Laws and ever give us cause, to sing with heart and voice:
God Save the Queen'

Elite_Pie
22-04-2014, 07:21 PM
That song has always confused me a bit. What exactly is God supposed to save her from?

It seems to me there are a few million around the world who need it a bit more than she does.

Romanis
22-04-2014, 08:25 PM
That song has always confused me a bit. What exactly is God supposed to save her from?

It seems to me there are a few million around the world who need it a bit more than she does.

I think it's 2 prong;

1) Save actually refers to safety. Keeping her healthy and safe from harm.And she is the point figure for citizens to keep the country safe by defending it.

2) Save means ensuring she reigns wisely. Safe from making mistakes that tarnishes the Crown and Country. Safe in performing her role, not to take sides but to be the final arbitrator to break deadlocks. And to ensure the Laws are upheld when a 'rogue Govt' takes power. Perhaps only she can save us from tyranny.

Romanis
22-04-2014, 08:34 PM
I know some republicans cannot fathom the idea that 1 gets born into luxury and privilege while the rest have to slog and earn it.

But on the other side, it's good to have 1 who's above the political fray. Who being unelected, doesn't concern herself with doing things merely to ensure re-election.

Or by coming from the electoral process the Head of State also is political figure thus losing her neutrality somewhat when a political crisis arises.

And the sovereign reigns because of her subjects and for them. The Queen is the symbol of unity or the 1 representative of the nation as a whole.

It's a system that has worked well here and in her other dominions. I see no reason to change it. In fact for countries like Canada, NZ and Australia, all the better to have her as Queen. The Governor-Generals represent her, but they too in turn serve at her pleasure. Irresponsible GGs can be removed through her, without a political or constitutional crisis.

Trickytreesreds
23-04-2014, 09:48 AM
Rubbish, this is the national anthem. - view external link (www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2cFhD5y250)

45red
24-04-2014, 07:59 PM
I love the queen , and I respect Harry and William a lot. As I married a French woman (like all good noble Englishman :D ) I now live in France, however on my wall which has been with me since I was 17 is a big framed photo of the queen, and another one of Winston Churchill

God save the queen.

Elite_Pie
24-04-2014, 09:19 PM
God save the Queen? When he's saved starving third world children and kids abused by his followers maybe.

In fact, if he's got a 'people to save' list, I hope a wealthy pampered octogenarian is right near the bottom.

45red
25-04-2014, 05:49 AM
God save the Queen? When he's saved starving third world children and kids abused by his followers maybe.

In fact, if he's got a 'people to save' list, I hope a wealthy pampered octogenarian is right near the bottom.

therefor your beef is with God not the queen EP ?

Trickytreesreds
25-04-2014, 08:37 AM

So God's a he is he?
I'm sure that's a well rehe****d Catholic doctrine and many others.

The greeks, romans,egyptians, had different gender gods. We settle for one god and decide that it's a he?

***ism, Basies favourite subject

Elite_Pie
25-04-2014, 09:15 AM

Mainly. It amazes me that people still believe there is a God, whether a he, she, or it. I can understand it in the dark ages when science was in it's infancy and it might have seemed the most likely explanation, but surely not in this day and age.

As for the Queen, probably a nice lady who's given good service, but I can't agree with the principle of a Royal Family.

45red
25-04-2014, 05:55 PM

Mainly. It amazes me that people still believe there is a God, whether a he, she, or it. I can understand it in the dark ages when science was in it's infancy and it might have seemed the most likely explanation, but surely not in this day and age.

As for the Queen, probably a nice lady who's given good service, but I can't agree with the principle of a Royal Family.[/quote]

wow ! for the first time i agree with some of your post, i also cant get my head around how people still believe in a god. But, unfortunately christian religion is on the decline and the muslim religion is on the increase, which can only end in tears for us. so what do we do ?

Elite_Pie
25-04-2014, 06:51 PM
Ban religion in all forms. Re-brand it as morality and principle based around the 10 commandments (or really the 6 commandments as the first four are bullsh!t) and basically just treat people as you would wish to be treated.

Problem solved.

45red
26-04-2014, 04:25 PM
Ban religion in all forms. Re-brand it as morality and principle based around the 10 commandments (or really the 6 commandments as the first four are bullsh!t) and basically just treat people as you would wish to be treated.

Problem solved.

Very silly and contradictive comment EP

Elite_Pie
26-04-2014, 06:50 PM
Why is it silly, and why is it contradictive?

All I'm saying is behave in the right manner but remove the ridiculous 'God' bit.

Trickytreesreds
26-04-2014, 07:29 PM

All I'm saying is behave in the right manner but remove the ridiculous 'God' bit.

2005 Cambridge figures, said 88% of the worlds population believed in a God(s).
Britain was 38%.

That's an awful lot of people to label, with a ridiculous comment.
Everyone is entitled to believe in what they want, if it brings them contentment. No one can say to believe is mad and those that are fanatical about it, have no right to push it.

45red
26-04-2014, 10:30 PM

Because stop thinking you are always correct !!! You saying ban religion is just as extreme as people saying we must believe in god, ala, budha ect, are you so arrogant you can't see that?

essexred52
26-04-2014, 10:46 PM
Worst thread I've ever seen :zzz:

Elite_Pie
26-04-2014, 11:06 PM
Because stop thinking you are always correct !!! You saying ban religion is just as extreme as people saying we must believe in god, ala, budha ect, are you so arrogant you can't see that?

You said to me "what do we do?", so I told you what I would do. It's my opinion and mine alone, you either agree or disagree. It's not right or wrong, it's just what I think.

Romanis
28-04-2014, 11:17 AM

As for the Queen, probably a nice lady who's given good service, but I can't agree with the principle of a Royal Family.[/quote]

The issue is with a Queen not God.

The reason why the Royal Family or just plainly a Sovereign stays is a) the service they provide and more importantly b) someone above politics.

In the 3 or 4 instances in recent memory where someone was needed to determine the political fate of the nation, the Queen acted correctly:

1) 1956 (or thereabouts) with Eden's resignation. She had choice between Butler or MacMillan, and chose HM by consulting Churchill and asking th

Romanis
28-04-2014, 11:31 AM
I shudder to think what an elected or appointed President would have done in such a position.

It's very likely that 1 or more of them would have chosen instead to immerse themselves in the political process and sided with a PM or Party Leader, and thus alienate the other side and their voters.

The Sovereign with no political affiliation and obligated to no one, is able to rise above the situation and either a) ignore the quarreling politicians until they decide or b - use behind the scenes influence to prod 1 or more of them to do the sensible thing, and c) as she has done - give them some time and space to gauge the public mood and act responsibly.

Only when all this fails, then she must act to use her reserve powers.

I believe a President, beholden to some party or keen to make his mark and legacy as Sir John Kerr did in 1975, would have acted rashly.

Here the ruling party acts as her representative and Govt is in her, thus the Sovereign has an enormous advantage to resolve

Bologna_reunited
02-05-2014, 05:42 PM
Why on earth us our anthem about saving a bunch of out-of-touch with reality Greco Germanic parasites.

Let the monarch did when Lizzie dies