PDA

View Full Version : R.I.P Sandy Jardine

bheron
24-04-2014, 09:46 PM
Just thought I should pay my respect to a true gentleman. I watched him many times over the years, and have always admired him as a fair, but hard defender. He never got caught up in any of the sectarian nonsense going on around him.

My condolences to his family and friends

skippy91
24-04-2014, 10:15 PM
Agreed always came across as a true Gent. He served his clubs and country well. Condolences to his family and friends.

sieb1886
24-04-2014, 11:20 PM
Ditto, ditto indeed.
One of the game's greatest ever fullbacks, and well ahead of his time in a playing sense. I remember watching him play for Scotland in 2 World Cups, and in '74 (I think), he was in the 'World Cup Team of the Tourney' as voted for by world football's elite. His stature remained throughout dificult times; he was suffering big-time due to illness these past 2 years, yet he still kept pushing the best PR and deals for Rangers fans at a momentous period in their clubs life.
Nuff said ... RIP Sandy. :blue:

everwell
25-04-2014, 03:31 AM
The only OF game I ever attended was at Ibrox the end of the 1967 season. Sandy and Jinky J scored two exquisite goals in a 2 - 2 draw which meant that Celtic were League Champions. I never went to an OF game ever again for reasons that will be obvious to 'Well fans. But Sandy seemed over the years to rise above the unfortunate issues surrounding the OF. He was as a player and a manager and eventually as an ambassador for Rangers a genuinely nice guy. Really sad that he will not get the few more years that he deserved with his family and watching football.

Gowboy
25-04-2014, 11:42 AM
A player - and person - who drew justified respect from all sides of football. Sad news.

Yazz
25-04-2014, 05:19 PM
Just thought I should pay my respect to a true gentleman. I watched him many times over the years, and have always admired him as a fair, but hard defender. He never got caught up in any of the sectarian nonsense going on around him.

My condolences to his family and friends

Excellently put.

RIP Sandy